Anderson's strikeout totals are alarming

aboz56

We have this luxury to develop a guy while putting out a world series caliber team and he's going to have most of the season to show us whether he can or can't.

Yes, it's a great luxury to have--and I give credit to KW and Oz for having the patience to develop a young promising player. Off the top of my head, I can name Nick Swisher and Jeremy Reed as touted outfielders that struggled at the plate quite often their first full season, and are having good starts so far this season.

The key is patience with young players. Like you mentioned, this team is put together where BA can put up a 240/290/410 line and still be championship caliber.

That is great for BA and the Sox. I just hope that Ozzie starts trotting him out there against some tougher matchups--for his defense alone-- and Mackowiak goes back to his full time super-utility role.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he and BA will a hit like that over a solid line drive right at someone anyday of the week to help them. But all in all, I agree with ya.

Confidence in baseball is a funny thing, as it's often crucially important and yet based off of luck. A player can be struggling at the plate, and a slow roler up the middle that gets by the SS is suddenly reason for optimism--thus more patience at the plate, better swings, etc.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm not counting his swinging bunt as a hit.  I mean its a hit, but its not worth saying oh my god he's out of his slump he had 2 hits.  An swinging bunt where you were totally fooled is not deserving as getting out of a slump (however it will help his confidence). 

He had 1 real hit and it was a BOMB.

I should have explained that better in my original post ace.  But it seems like a lot of people are basing the 2 hits off the box score and assuming he had a HR and a solid single.  And I'm not trying to discredit the infield hit (thats still a hit in the scorebook and he hustled it out and it will give him confidence and for every squibber like that you have, you usually have a handful more missiles you hit right at a defender)

I've seen hits like that, or a liitle blooper, have the effect breaking slumps in the past. It's like the guy thinks, well something finally went my way, then he relaxes and starts producing. Hopefully, this will be the case with BA.

His first hit was completely accidental. The funny thing is with all this anti Anderson talk, his april batting average isnt that worse from what Rowands was last year. I'll take Thome over Rowand any day and deal with Anderson in CF.

Anderson just needs to run into some walls when he makes catches and hit right around .250. And maybe not leave everyone on base when he gets up!

Lifting some weights wouldnt hurt him either :headbang . My buddy Cliff knows Herm Schnieder (through the orthopod's at Rush that do the surgery's for the White Sox), I'll see if he can pass on some weight lifting tips to anderson.

gay.jpg

QUOTE(LeroySettle @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
His first hit was completely accidental.  The funny thing is with all this anti Anderson talk, his april batting average isnt that worse from what Rowands was last year.  I'll take Thome over Rowand any day and deal with Anderson in CF.

Anderson just needs to run into some walls when he makes catches and hit right around .250.  And maybe not leave everyone on base when he gets up!

Lifting some weights wouldnt hurt him either  :headbang .  My buddy Cliff knows Herm Schnieder (through the orthopod's at Rush that do the surgery's for the White Sox), I'll see if he can pass on some weight lifting tips to anderson.

gay.jpg

Your first two posts were funny, but now the type a useless paragraph followed by a google image has run its course. Sorry.

Your first two posts were funny, but now the type a useless paragraph followed by a google image has run its course.  Sorry.

Whatever "rockraines", that picture was taken in Cliff's basement at his house on Eddy and Southport. And he did forward a work out program to Brian, have to focus on the stabilizing muscles with core strength movements like deadlifts and squats. If you want the workout PM me.

Anderson is gonna be just fine, he is just a little fast with his swing right now. Same thing happened to me before. We dont need him to hit, just play good defense. Any offense from him is bonus. Kenny Williams agrees with this, talked to him last week at La Scarola (Best Italian food in the city) where he was eating with Ozzie...

QUOTE(LeroySettle @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Whatever "rockraines", that picture was taken in Cliff's basement at his house on Eddy and Southport.  And he did forward a work out program to Brian, have to focus on the stabilizing muscles with core strength movements like deadlifts and squats.  If you want the workout PM me. 

Anderson is gonna be just fine, he is just a little fast with his swing right now.  Same thing happened to me before.  We dont need him to hit, just play good defense.  Any offense from him is bonus.  Kenny Williams agrees with this, talked to him last week at La Scarola (Best Italian food in the city) where he was eating with Ozzie...

Leroy, your choice in food is about as good as your humor. As much as I enjoyed Kelly Mondelli's and the Mondelli family in general, it is not near the best in the city. In fact any place with all entree's less than 15 bucks wouldnt be in the same breath as the word "best." Go back to the hole you crawled out of, even with your NJguido pics, and your wanna be hilarious attempts, you are nothing more than a rookie.

-your idol.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
anderson just hit that homer off of guardado to tie the game. therefore, this thread needs to be erased immediately.

one hit doesn't make a season. he's still got a LOOONG way to go. i'm glad he hit the homer. maybe he's coming around. i'd be floored if he hit above .265 this year

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
BA with some good plate discipline tonight drawing 2 walks. Went hitless, but if he can keep drawing BB's, and get on base, I'll be very happy nonetheless.

Ditto. Getting that OBP up for me. Mabye he can get his BB/SO ratio back to respectable. :)

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
Yea, several nice catches in CF as well--the BA bandwagon might just be rollin' 3 deep now.

Trust me, the real fans never got off the bandwagon... And I will tell you what, as long as the Sox are playing good ball, winning 60-65% of their games, and Brian Anderson is taking away hits and runs on defense, I don't give a s*** what he is hitting. Long term for me, his offense is the thing I am least worried about. It might take him as long as it took Joe Crede or even (cough) Aaron Rowand to understand hitting at the major league level, but with this kind of cast around him, it is worth it for him to mature here now, vs later.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
Trust me, the real fans never got off the bandwagon...  And I will tell you what, as long as the Sox are playing good ball, winning 60-65% of their games, and Brian Anderson is taking away hits and runs on defense, I don't give a s*** what he is hitting.  Long term for me, his offense is the thing I am least worried about.  It might take him as long as it took Joe Crede or even (cough) Aaron Rowand to understand hitting at the major league level, but with this kind of cast around him, it is worth it for him to mature here now, vs later.

Amen man, I never jumped off. This kid is a GREAT defender, is hitting #9 for us, and is still very young. As long as he hits .240, draws a few walks, steals a few bases, hits around 20 homers, and plays that defense he's doing his job.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Anderson caught a shallow fly ball last night that Rowand never would have had, that should have shown you his value.

And completely fooled one of the best baserunners in the game in Ichiro to get to the ball... and then Brian finished by doubling him off of first. The guy can play some defense. He gets excellent reads on the ball, and takes great routes as far as I have seen so far.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
And completely fooled one of the best baserunners in the game in Ichiro to get to the ball... and then Brian finished by doubling him off of first.  The guy can play some defense.  He gets excellent reads on the ball, and takes great routes as far as I have seen so far.

Ah, so you knew exectly the play I was talking about. All I could think was that Rowand would have had one of his classic play too deep plays, and let it bloop in front of him. Anderson covers ALOT of ground, even though it doesnt appear hes running that fast.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Ah, so you knew exectly the play I was talking about.  All I could think was that Rowand would have had one of his classic play too deep plays, and let it bloop in front of him.  Anderson covers ALOT of ground, even though it doesnt appear hes running that fast.

Yeah it was a nice play, and it was noticable for me for the same reason you mentioned. It was the only area that Rowand never really excelled at, and that was the ball in front of him. He made the catches into the gaps, and over his shoulder as good or better than anyone in the game today... in front of him, he usually took the ball on a hop.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 07:27 AM)
Yeah it was a nice play, and it was noticable for me for the same reason you mentioned.  It was the only area that Rowand never really excelled at, and that was the ball in front of him.  He made the catches into the gaps, and over his shoulder as good or better than anyone in the game today... in front of him, he usually took the ball on a hop.

Well, that and the throwing arm, which B.A. also improves on.