Anyone near Union Station...

Steff

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
I walked past it about 7:30 this morning.  You know I walk over that bridge every day and I've often wondered if someone was in there drowning if I could make that jump down there.  I think it's doable.  Hope they are ok.

I don't know about that, you'd have to be a pretty good diver. If you went into a spin and hit the water at a wierd angle, you'be ass out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't know about that, you'd have to be a pretty good diver.  If you went into a spin and hit the water at a wierd angle, you'be ass out.

Yeah I wouldn't dive. I wouldn't be in it for bonus points...I was thinking more on the lines of climbing the railing and just jumping feet first.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't know about that, you'd have to be a pretty good diver.   If you went into a spin and hit the water at a wierd angle, you'be ass out.

I'm a pretty good swimmer but aside from the dangers of diving in I would be afraid of the jumper pulling me under.

Apparently someone did jump:

NBC5.com

Man Pulled From Chicago River

Police Believe Man Jumped In Suicide Attempt

A man was taken to an area hospital in serious condition Thursday morning after divers from the Chicago Fire Department rescued him from the Chicago River in the Loop where he jumped, reportedly in a suicide attempt.

Rescue workers responded at 8:46 a.m. after the man jumped in the river near Randolph Street and Wacker Drive, said Fire Media spokesman Josh Dennis.

The man was pulled out of the water and was on his way to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious to critical condition as of 9:45 a.m., Dennis said, adding it may have been an attempted suicide.

"He pulled his car over there, called his girlfriend and then jumped," according to Central District Sgt. Charles Popielarz.

Copyright 2006, Chicago Sun-Times Inc.

The impact on the water would not be the biggest concern here for a rescuer. The temperature of that water, this time of year, is probably no better than 40 or 50 degrees (likely closer to 40). That would be the killer. You can only survive in that for so long.

I suppose if you were able to get to the person, drag them out, and get out within a couple minutes, you might not succumb to hypothermia. but if it takes more time than that, you start to be in trouble.

I didnt see this one, but last year over the summer I did see what appeared to be a dead person floating in the river by Merc/ Lyric Opera (on the Merc side of the river).

Ive contemplated what would happen many times as I walk over those bridges every day, and I do not think that the fall would be terrible unless you hit one of the edges. The river though probably has currents etc, which could make some areas have under tows and be dangerous. Also random garabage and s***.