Sox Should Make Signing Buehrle Top Priority

aboz56

Sox Should Make Signing Buehrle Top Priority

By Alex Bozich, Senior Writer

It's happening again. The annual "Mark Buehrle to St. Louis" chatter, which had died down, is back again and sounds more disturbing than ever. Buehrle, who stated as recently as last year that he'd be happy to stay with the Sox for the rest of his career, is being called out by Sox GM Kenny Williams. Read More...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Yawn.

Its such a shock that Aboz would write an article in favor of bringing Buerhle back.

When we trade Freddy maybe we can get Freddy and Ozzie vonage so they can have unlimited long distance calling so they can keep in touch.

Agreed with the general premise of the article, although it'll take a lot more than 5 years/$65 million to keep Buehrle around.

What I disagree with is the fact that KW is called out, but Frank and Mark are not censured for their not-so-professional comments over the past few years. Hurt and Beuhrle may be fan favorites, but they're certainly not beyond reproach.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Agreed with the general premise of the article, although it'll take a lot more than 5 years/$65 million to keep Buehrle around.

What I disagree with is the fact that KW is called out, but Frank and Mark are not censured for their not-sure-mature comments over the past few years.  Hurt and Beuhrle may be fan favorites, but they're certainly not beyond reproach.

It's the nature of the beast. Fans for the most part will side with the athlete over the executive.

As far as the money goes, I think around $13 mil per season could keep him but who knows.

He could be more in line to get $15 mil per season.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
It's the nature of the beast.  Fans for the most part will side with the athlete over the executive.

But that doesn't make it right.

As far as the money goes, I think around $13 mil per season could keep him but who knows.

He could be more in line to get $15 mil per season.

$15 million/year is probably the lower end. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody offered him $17 million/year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
But that doesn't make it right.

$15 million/year is probably the lower end.  I wouldn't be surprised if somebody offered him $17 million/year.

On the open market, yes, but my guess is he doesn't get that far. Sox should lock him up so that he doesn't have an opportunity to be offered that kind of money.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
On the open market, yes, but my guess is he doesn't get that far.  Sox should lock him up so that he doesn't have an opportunity to be offered that kind of money.

I agree. That said, given that JR has never offered $75 million to a pitcher before, I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
If Buehrle is going to cost AT LEAST 13 to 15 million a year, then I hope he enjoys St. Louis.  I love MB as much as the next guy, but that is just insane.

I don't think STL would offer him that.

I think maybe Boston or NYY would offer him that kind of money, but I don't see him wanting to go to either one of those clubs.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)

I think maybe Boston or NYY would offer him that kind of money, but I don't see him wanting to go to either one of those clubs.

Yeah that is true. What would be the most years and money per year you'd be willing to offer Mark if you were Kenny? Just curious.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Yeah that is true.  What would be the most years and money per year you'd be willing to offer Mark if you were Kenny?  Just curious.

I'd say 5 and 65 is fair for both parties, but I'm not sure he'd accept it.

Being perhaps the biggest Buehrle apologist around, I'm probably not the one to ask. I think Flash Tizzle should be able to give you a better idea or Tony or Jason.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)

Being perhaps the biggest Buehrle apologist around, I'm probably not the one to ask.  I think Flash Tizzle should be able to give you a better idea or Tony or Jason.

Buehrle has never struck me as money hungry. I think he'll stick with fair money and long-term. Sort of like Contreras.

Here's my opinion on Buehrle. If KW can tell that Mark won't be able to be brought back when he becomes a FA, then trade him to the Cards in the offseason. St. Louis is going to be in the market for pitchers this offseason, and we could try and get a lot of prospects for Buehrle. Then, you take one or two of those prospects, and you trade them along with Fields and Sweeney for Miguel Cabrera. With the saved money on the non-Buehrle deal, you can lock up Joe Crede to a multi-year deal.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)

Being perhaps the biggest Buehrle apologist around, I'm probably not the one to ask.  I think Flash Tizzle should be able to give you a better idea or Tony or Jason.

Ugh. 5 years at 13 per for a guy that only sees the field once every 5 days makes me nervous, even if it is Buehrle. I know pitching is at a premium, especially a sturdy lefty, but damn.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)

St Louis also has a history of not offering players top dollar contracts, instead working trades and trying to get exsisting players to take hometown discounts, much like the Sox do. In fact I would be willing to bet today, that if Mark hits free agency he signs with neither the White Sox nor the Cardinals.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
St Louis also has a history of not offering players top dollar contracts, instead working trades and trying to get exsisting players to take hometown discounts, much like the Sox do.  In fact I would be willing to bet today, that if Mark hits free agency he signs with neither the White Sox nor the Cardinals.

I would be willing to bet that Buehrle won't sign with any other team besides the White Sox or Cardinals.

Here's my opinion on Buehrle.  If KW can tell that Mark won't be able to be brought back when he becomes a FA, then trade him to the Cards in the offseason.  St. Louis is going to be in the market for pitchers this offseason, and we could try and get a lot of prospects for Buehrle.  Then, you take one or two of those prospects, and you trade them along with Fields and Sweeney for Miguel Cabrera.  With the saved money on the non-Buehrle deal, you can lock up Joe Crede to a multi-year deal.

The Marlins are planning to build their team around Cabrera and the D-Train. They'll know by 2007 if they relocate or get a new stadium, so they won't be on the market until then

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
The Marlins are planning to build their team around Cabrera and the D-Train. They'll know by 2007 if they relocate or get a new stadium, so they won't be on the market until then

Every rumor from legitimate baseball sources state that the Marlins have let teams known that these guys will likely be on the market either at the trade deadline or in the offseason. Even if they were to get a stadium deal in 2007, many baseball people think that Cabrera will force a trade out of Florida. I'm not concerned about his attitude at all, as I think he'd get along great with Ozzie. I'm a firm believer that our outfield is the position with the greatest need for upgrade in the next few years (I like Cabrera in LF more than at 3b).