Sox Should Make Signing Buehrle Top Priority

aboz56

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
As a Red Sox fan, 5/65 seems just right.  That being because Beckett will recieve a similar dollar amount to Buehrle and that is almost too much in my opinion.

I can't imagine either pitcher recieving all that much more than Burnett, for the main reason that the Jays completely overpaid for his services.

Hmm.  Just something to ponder.

The Red Sox are best served to make sure blister gate doesn't happen again this year before tendering a long term deal to Beckett.

And I don't think he's worth as much as Mark is as far as a contract goes, but Boston will most likely overpay to keep him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
The Red Sox are best served to make sure blister gate doesn't happen again this year before tendering a long term deal to Beckett.

And I don't think he's worth as much as Mark is as far as a contract goes, but Boston will most likely overpay to keep him.

Yeah, I highly doubt any GM would give Beckett more money than Buehrle.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
If long term = the 2 remaining years on Crede's contract, I'll say...maybe.

Let's look at the ecomomics of it.

MB is signed to a long-term deal at below market value, one that can be picked up for an additional year again at below market value. The Sox would be stupid to sign anything prior to the end of this season with Buehrle. They may sign him following the season, tearing up the last year of his current deal. But I suspect they'll negotiate something before the end of Spring Training next year to a deal that doesn't take effect until the end of his current one (after the '07 season)

Crede is signed to well below market value because of his arbitration status. He's a Boras guy, so that gives many here the false impression that the Sox won't deal with him. Crede wants a deal done, and he wants a deal done as soon as possible.

"You do hear people say that Boras' guys are puppets, but no, that's not the case with me," Crede said. "That might be the case with some other players, but not with me.

"Ultimately, the player is who has control of the situation. If you want to sign for this, you sign for this. If you want it to be handled by the agent, you let that happen. Ultimately, you also want to get the fair deal at the same time."

The Sox held off on buying out his Arb-years this spring because they were worried about his back.
"We entertain and explore all multiyear options with our core players, and we consider [Crede] to be one of those core players," Williams said Friday. "However, you have to have a reasonable gauge of long-term health prognosis.

"Fortunately, Joe has really been able to manage and maintain his back since he originally hurt it last season. That gives us a lot of optimism about his future. As more time goes on and answers are given to us, we'll entertain the idea [of a multiyear deal] to a greater degree."

If Crede makes it through the season without any back issues, the Sox will have him signed to a 3-year with an option for 4 faster than Pods getting thrown out at second base with Thome in the batters box.

Also in that same article was a quote from Kenny and Crede that indicated they may explore options during this season. Crede's hit .345/.383/.645 since coming back off the DL in September, and was .289/.327/.622 in the playoffs, all while playing Gold Glove defense at 3B.

I'm sure somebody is going to say that Fields is waiting in the wings so we don't need to sign Crede long term, but if there's one thing that KW has learned as a GM, it's that cost certainty is extremely valuable. Having two 3B signed on the cheap is not bad problem to have. Though I would argue that Crede is superior to Fields in every way. Having them both on the cheap will allow you to trade one for something of need/more value.

Here are a few stats and notes to lively up the conversation:

MB Career ERA+ : 128

MB Rank in IP, last 4 years: 2, 5, 1, 1

Comps through age 26:

John Candelaria

Mike Hampton

Mark Mulder

Jim Meritt

Tom Glavine

AJ Burnett career ERA+ : 110

Burnett, Rank in IP, last 4 years: Oh, not good enough to appear on the Baseball Reference data sheet!

For the record, AJ has pitched over 200 innings 3 times in his career--3 times at an age already 2 years older than MB.

Buehrle is going to make a lot of money based on these stats.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Here are a few stats and notes  to lively up the conversation:

MB Career ERA+ : 128

MB Rank in IP, last 4 years: 2, 5, 1, 1

Comps through age 26:

John Candelaria

Mike Hampton

Mark Mulder

Jim Meritt

Tom Glavine

AJ Burnett career ERA+ : 110

Burnett, Rank in IP, last 4 years: Oh, not good enough to appear on the Baseball Reference data sheet!

For the record, AJ has pitched over 200 innings 3 times in his career--3 times at an age already 2 years older than MB.

Buehrle is going to make a lot of money based on these stats.

Stats or no stats, teams love to have guys like Buehrle on their team. He is reliable and throws a s*** load of innings. He is a great team player, a fan favorite, and when he is on the mound, he stuff can keep the best of hitters off balance. When you have a pitcher who you are so confident in where it gets to the point that you think "Oh, MB is pitching, he'll give me a QS and keep my team in the game." then you know you have something special. And on top of that, he is a lefty. I f***ing love you Mark Buehrle.

Wow Alex. I didn't "rate" your article, but I disagree with the general tone of the whole thing. Kenny Williams is the "loudmouth leader of the Sox"? Frank took his shots at the club when he left, and nothing was said in response. But Frank couldn't keep his big yap shut and continued to take shots. I'm glad Kenny called him out for it. He had it coming. As for the tarp sliding thing, they had expressed concern after each occurance of it, and Mark didn't get the hint. They have $9 million and a possible championship season riding on this guy. I'm glad Kenny put a stop to it.

As for the need to hurry to get a deal done, I don't see the need to hurry. Buehrle is under the Sox control for the next 18 months. He's not going anywhere, even to St. Louis, unless the Sox decide he's going somewhere. Who knows, Mark might blow out a knee while tarp sliding between now and then.

The rest of it I agree with you. Mark has earned himself a very nice contract and he'll get one in the foreseeable future. I hope he can reach an agreement with the Sox, as he's one of my favorite players and a very damn good pitcher who's just reaching his prime. But to rip Williams because he doesn't have a deal with Mark yet is totallty uncalled for.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
I love all of the low ratings for my columns.

For those who voted so low, please leave a sample of your writing.

:P

I voted a 4, but I don't think the low votes were because of your writing skills. Since we do not know what happens behind the scenes, we can only speculate that a deal is not in the works for MB.

I would assume that locking MB up at this moment in time is not a top priority for KW. He has almost two full seasons to get something done. I am sure they are trying to address the bullpen and maybe even CF if Anderson continues to struggle.

It would be in the Sox best interests to lock MB now before his value goes up any further after another 230IP/16+ win season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
Wow Alex.  I didn't "rate" your article, but I disagree with the general tone of the whole thing.  Kenny Williams is the "loudmouth leader of the Sox"?  Frank took his shots at the club when he left, and nothing was said in response.  But Frank couldn't keep his big yap shut and continued to take shots.  I'm glad Kenny called him out for it.  He had it coming.  As for the tarp sliding thing, they had expressed concern after each occurance of it, and Mark didn't get the hint.  They have $9 million and a possible championship season riding on this guy.  I'm glad Kenny put a stop to it. 

^^^

If you're that sensitive to criticism, be more objective and put blame where blame is due. I agree that KW has been a loudmouth recently, but that doesn't excuse Frank and Mark's immature and unprofessional behavior.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

Your right in the sense that he's not worth as much and isn't as good of a pitcher, but people pay big bucks for guys with Beckett's arm and stuff. Beckett is twice the pitcher Burnett is (however Beckett has his blister issues) and someone will offer a very similar deal.

I also would never pay Buehrle 15 or 17 mill a year which I saw some people say he's worth. Burnett money (well just above that) is a fair market value, especially in a market that has a few great starters and not just Burnett available.

Winning lefty pitchers on your team + a long term deal =

MANY, MANY HAPPY RETURNS ON YOUR INVESTMENT.

KW, I have faith in you buddy. You'll get 'em done.

Burlymon, what a hell of a game last night. Keep on keepin' on.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Am I the only one who caught Buehrle jogging before the game to warm-up and stretching his arms out with a huge silly grin, making a mock-sliding motion?

You talking about when he was leaving the dugout to throw some balls with Man soo lee? If you are he was just waving to the crowd.

QUOTE(ShoeLessRob @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
You talking about when he was leaving the dugout to throw some balls with Man soo lee? If you are he was just waving to the crowd.

Nope, that's not it, I don't think. It was much closer to gametime. And what I saw wasn't Buehrle wave, it was lower his head slightly while jogging and spreading his arms out in front of him then looking up and laughing.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
Nope, that's not it, I don't think. It was much closer to gametime. And what I saw wasn't Buehrle wave, it was lower his head slightly while jogging and spreading his arms out in front of him then looking up and laughing.

hmmm.... :huh: