Sox Should Make Signing Buehrle Top Priority

aboz56

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I would be willing to bet that Buehrle won't sign with any other team besides the White Sox or Cardinals.

If Mark makes it even to start free agency, its obvious money is the reason why. If he is willing to take a lower salary he will stay here, or he will request a trade to St Louis. He might get traded to STL, but there is no way that someone won't throw a boatload more money at him than STL or us are willing to spend, out on the open market. Imagine The Boss getting a chance at a guy like MB in the front of the Yankees rotation, or the Red Sox trying to outbid the Yankees to keep him away from New York. There is no way he would end up in St Louis.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Ugh.  5 years at 13 per for a guy that only sees the field once every 5 days makes me nervous, even if it is Buehrle.  I know pitching is at a premium, especially a sturdy lefty, but damn.

Seriously. This aint Santana we're talking about here..

:lolhitting

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
If Mark makes it even to start free agency, its obvious money is the reason why.  If he is willing to take a lower salary he will stay here, or he will request a trade to St Louis.  He might get traded to STL, but there is no way that someone won't throw a boatload more money at him than STL or us are willing to spend, out on the open market.  Imagine The Boss getting a chance at a guy like MB in the front of the Yankees rotation, or the Red Sox trying to outbid the Yankees to keep him away from New York.  There is no way he would end up in St Louis.

It's a lot easier for Buehrle to just sign with the Cards via free agency than it is to demand a trade to the Cards. If he demands a trade, then he's turning his back on the Sox fans a lot more than he would if he just signed with them when he's a FA.

It's a lot easier for Buehrle to just sign with the Cards via free agency than it is to demand a trade to the Cards.  If he demands a trade, then he's turning his back on the Sox fans a lot more than he would if he just signed with them when he's a FA.

I don't think he would. I see it as he just wants to pitch for them and doesn't want to wait until after 2007.

I don't know if he has the most, but pitching 1,172.2 IP from 2001-2005 is a lot of innings. That is an average of 234 IP per year. There are very few pitchers that can match that even in a single season. His 81 wins in that timeframe is also in the top 5.

He might not have the best stuff, but he is so damn reliable. He would definitely be worth $13 million a year for 5 years. That will be an average top tier starting pitcher's contract in 2-3 years.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
I don't think he would. I see it as he just wants to pitch for them and doesn't want to wait until after 2007.

It's not like we're the Marlins, and he's playing on a team with a bunch of guys he can't stand. Pitching for the Cards has supposedly been his dream all of his life, and he's finally going to get the chance if he becomes a Free Agent after the 2007 season. I don't get the sense that he has one foot out the door yet. I think some people are getting a little too worried about something that likely won't matter for another 310+ games.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
I think he really wants to pitch for his hometown Cardinals. That would be okay w/ me. The Cardinals are my favorite NL team.

If I am not mistaken, the last few times he talked about St. Louis, he basically said it would be hard for him to pitch there because there would be a ton of distractions.

Doesn't sound like he is gone for certain.

I think the fact that him and Garland are good friends helps us too. Especially with Garland having a long term deal.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
I don't know if he has the most, but pitching 1,172.2 IP from 2001-2005 is a lot of innings.  That is an average of 234 IP per year.  There are very few pitchers that can match that even in a single season.  His 81 wins in that timeframe is also in the top 5.

He might not have the best stuff, but he is so damn reliable.  He would definitely be worth $13 million a year for 5 years.  That will be an average top tier starting pitcher's contract in 2-3 years.

I agree. l'll say it again sustained above average consistency is as important if not more important than any other factor.

I think he'll take 5/13 even though he can probably get a lot more if he held out for FA.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
It's a lot easier for Buehrle to just sign with the Cards via free agency than it is to demand a trade to the Cards.  If he demands a trade, then he's turning his back on the Sox fans a lot more than he would if he just signed with them when he's a FA.

And like I said, with the lack of quality left handed #1 starters who never get hurt in MLB, someone else will throw more money at Mark Buehrle than he could ever imagine. It will be significantly more than STL or CWS will offer him, based on the Sox and Cards recent history with FAs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
And like I said, with the lack of quality left handed #1 starters who never get hurt in MLB, someone else will throw more money at Mark Buehrle than he could ever imagine.  It will be significantly more than STL or CWS will offer him, based on the Sox and Cards recent history with FAs.

I honestly think Buehrle cares more about where he pitches then the money he would earn. He's definitely not one of these "whores" who will sign with whoever offers the most money.

His price tag is only going to go up over time, so the longer the Sox wait, the less likely they are to re-sign him. If they wait until after 2007, he will probably be gone.

I also think the success of the team will be a huge factor. More wins would equal more revenue, which would equal a larger payroll.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Here's my opinion on Buehrle.  If KW can tell that Mark won't be able to be brought back when he becomes a FA, then trade him to the Cards in the offseason.  St. Louis is going to be in the market for pitchers this offseason, and we could try and get a lot of prospects for Buehrle.  Then, you take one or two of those prospects, and you trade them along with Fields and Sweeney for Miguel Cabrera.  With the saved money on the non-Buehrle deal, you can lock up Joe Crede to a multi-year deal.

Given that the Sox will likely be very competitive next season, I doubt that Beuhrle will be dealt (unless we're significantly below .500 in July of '07).

Buehrle is going to command at least 15 million a year in the 5-7 year range if he does hit the open market in the 2007 offseason. A left-handed SP who is an almost lock for 200+ IP and a 120 ERA+ --teams will be all over that.

If he goes for the money, I don't think the Sox will be able to bring him back--nor should they if he gets offered a deal over 5 years and decides to take it.

The smart thing to do would be to throw 70 million over 5 years at Mark this offseason, and see if he takes it. If he doesn't well then the Sox pick up his option and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
Given that the Sox will likely be very competitive next season, I doubt that Beuhrle will be dealt (unless we're significantly below .500 in July of '07).

We were going to be competitive this season, but that didn't stop KW from considering trading one of his starting pitchers.

If Buerhle left the White Sox it would be the biggest loss in White Sox history. We can't be like the Cubs and let Maddux go at his prime. Buerhle is only getting better at 27 years old. 5 years at 12/13 per is should be doable. I think KW and JR know how important MB is to this team, organization and the city of chicago and its surrounding communities.

Buerhle is open to start talking about his future now. So KW should get on that ASAP. Like i said before, there was reason to wait until the offseason for Konerko. There is no reason to wait for Buerhle. We all know his value. Get it done KW. Get it done soon.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Buehrle is going to command at least 15 million a year in the 5-7 year range if he does hit the open market in the 2007 offseason.  A left-handed SP who is an almost lock for 200+ IP and a 120 ERA+ --teams will be all over that.

If he goes for the money, I don't think the Sox will be able to bring him back--nor should they if he gets offered a deal over 5 years and decides to take it. 

The smart thing to do would be to throw 70 million over 5 years at Mark this offseason, and see if he takes it.  If he doesn't well then the Sox pick up his option and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

If he's searching for the highest bidder, fine--it's understandable--but he could conceivably have another extended contract after a 5 year deal is agreed upon. Every player possessing talent has to realize they'd likely receive more on the open market. Santana thought enough of Minnesota to sign well below market value. I expect similar results from Buehrle. We offer him a respectable amount of money, I'll gua-ran-tee he'll return. Low-ball him and I'm sure we'll have another round of whining from the media and fans.

I've said it before people in regards to contracts, this market isn't going to appease the White Sox. Often "fair" and " market value" won't apply to our standards. If we have to overpay, tough s***. If you can't depend upon Buehlre to give you value over the life of a contract, who can you trust? Develop a few quality pitching prospects once every decade and this problem wouldn't arise. For example--If Lumsden rebounds nicely from his injury and achieves success, suddenly, the Buehrle situation doesn't back us into a corner. Sure, he won't match IP/ERA/etc., but the 12+ million saved sounds nice.

Ultimately, I don't want our organization to f*** this up. We're not talking about replacing a fifth starter--we're talking about our ace. Williams decides to let Buehrle leave, he DAMN well better have an equal replacement available. Trade him and I expect several top pitching prospects. Let's not forget Garcia will likely depart this ballclub following next season. Unlike Burly-mon, however, I'm hoping they let Garcia walk or trade him prior to FA. If you look at our other starters, Garland won't give us much whereas Count and Vazquez will likely remain. McCarthy can be expected to match Garcia's numbers as it is. You build teams around players like Buehrle, you don't let them walk when they're 27 years old.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Garland and Contrereas were definitely on the market this offseason.

Did KW actually come out and say that or was it just a rumor?

Even if that information is true, Garland finally had ONE good year after five very mediocre ones. Contreras is at least 34 (possibly as old as 36) and had not been as consistent as expected in his major league career. Neither of those guys have as much long-term upside as Buehrle and, therefore, are not as important to the team's long-term goals.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)
Did KW actually come out and say that or was it just a rumor?

Even if that information is true, Garland finally had ONE good year after five very mediocre ones.  Contreras is at least 34 (possibly as old as 36) and had not been as consistent as expected in his major league career.  Neither of those guys have as much long-term upside as Buehrle and, therefore, are not as important to the team's long-term goals.

Yes, after Contrereas re-signed, KW said something about how those guys have no clue how close they were to getting traded.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Yes, after Contrereas re-signed, KW said something about how those guys have no clue how close they were to getting traded.

Just like KW said that negotiations broke off with both of them. KW lies well enough to apply for the White House Press Secretary job.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Just like KW said that negotiations broke off with both of them.  KW lies well enough to apply for the White House Press Secretary job.

He had no reason to lie after they signed though. It wasn't like he was using that for negotiations. I didn't think it was a secret that Garland/Contreras were on the market this offseason.

As a Red Sox fan, 5/65 seems just right. That being because Beckett will recieve a similar dollar amount to Buehrle and that is almost too much in my opinion.

I can't imagine either pitcher recieving all that much more than Burnett, for the main reason that the Jays completely overpaid for his services.

Hmm. Just something to ponder.