Brandon Phillips

whitesoxfan101

Ok this guy is an interesting story. He was actually at one time a higher rated prospect than almost anybody playing currently for the Indians, but could never find it at the plate and ended up out of town. All of a sudden he resurfaces in Cincinnati, and due to the injury to Griffey moving Freel to CF and the fact that Tony Womack blows, he is getting PT.

Well Phillips has been playing very good defense for the Reds, but is also red hot at the plate. He was 3 for 5 tonight with 2 runs scored, 2 homers (one a grand slam) and 6 RBI's. So for the season in only 9 games, he is hitting .367 (11-30) with 2 homers, 13 RBI's, and 5 runs scored, as well as 3 k's.

Now obviously this is a small sample size, but it should be interesting to see how this goes as he is going to continue to get PT it appears, and Phillips is still a talented 2B prospect and still only 24 years old.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

You took the words out of my mouth with Lopez. It is worth noting Phillips hasn't drawn a walk yet which can be a red flag, but he's hitting 8th most of the time where you don't want a guy to walk in the NL. Great talent, a bad rep for attitude, but a classic change of scenery guy. All the physical tools in the world and now he has opportunity with no expectations which he had in Cleveland. hrewd, shrewd move by the Reds although now they still have to eitehr bench him or Freel once Griff comes back

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
The Reds might have found another Felipe Lopez here. They've really got a vey nice lineup at the moment if that's the case, and they could afford to play Griffey at 1B and Freel at CF.

GREAT point, I was actually going to put that last night. Phillips story is very similar to Lopez, and Felipe is a VERY good player now (won the silver slugger and had great numbers last year). Hot damn, if Phillips develops here, they would have quite a middle infield with 2 guys that they stole off the scrap heap basically and are still young. Lopez, Kearns, Dunn, Encarnacion (who's off to a very good start), now Phillips....that's 5 young cornerstones right there among everyday players (and Freel is solid too and still pretty young, 29 I think) as long as Kearns stays healthy. Now they need pitching and depth, and a minor league system. lol.

Also, the Freel to CF and Griffey to 1B idea is very interesting. That would give the Reds a lineup of:

Freel CF

Lopez SS

Griffey 1B

Dunn LF

Kearns RF

Encarnacion 3B

Phillips 2B

LaRue C

P

That's a hell of a lineup, probably the best in the NL other than the Mets, and a pretty young one at that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:53 AM)
GREAT point, I was actually going to put that last night.  Phillips story is very similar to Lopez, and Felipe is a VERY good player now (won the silver slugger and had great numbers last year).  Hot damn, if Phillips develops here, they would have quite a middle infield with 2 guys that they stole off the scrap heap basically and are still young.  Lopez, Kearns, Dunn, Encarnacion (who's off to a very good start), now Phillips....that's 5 young cornerstones right there among everyday players (and Freel is solid too and still pretty young, 29 I think) as long as Kearns stays healthy.  Now they need pitching and depth, and a minor league system.  lol.

Also, the Freel to CF and Griffey to 1B idea is very interesting.  That would give the Reds a lineup of:

Freel CF

Lopez SS

Griffey 1B

Dunn LF

Kearns RF

Encarnacion 3B

Phillips 2B

LaRue C

P

That's a hell of a lineup, probably the best in the NL other than the Mets, and a pretty young one at that.

There are still a few lineups in the NL I'd take over that (including the Cards) but it is a solid lineup. They still have an awful pitching staff and aren't exactly the strongest defensive squad (although they do have some guys with pretty good range).

yeah, the indians just soured on him, to the point they gave their final infield roster spot to some guy named ramon vazquez instead of phillips.

i would really enjoy it if phillips found his niche in cincy. great fodder against all the indian fans i know.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
They still have an awful pitching staff and aren't exactly the strongest defensive squad (although they do have some guys with pretty good range).

This is why they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, unless they can acquire some decent pitching for one or more of their hitters.

I also believe that Phillips was out of options which was a big reason Cincy got him, perhaps for a PTBNL but I can't recall. Phillips failed every time he had a chance at a job and had a bad tude so I don't blame the Tribe but if there was every a change of scenery guy (us with Jenks too) it was Phillips. I wish my Cards would have looked at him over the dreck they have there now at second (although I like Luna)

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
This is why they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, unless they can acquire some decent pitching for one or more of their hitters.

That's also why they are under new management. Krivsky took over in like January. He has had pretty good results so far.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
The Reds might have found another Felipe Lopez here. They've really got a vey nice lineup at the moment if that's the case, and they could afford to play Griffey at 1B and Freel at CF.

Ken seems like he'd be too stubborn to move from CF. Plus, I'd want to get Dunn the hell out of the OF.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:13 AM)
Ok this guy is an interesting story.  He was actually at one time a higher rated prospect than almost anybody playing currently for the Indians, but could never find it at the plate and ended up out of town.  All of a sudden he resurfaces in Cincinnati, and due to the injury to Griffey moving Freel to CF and the fact that Tony Womack blows, he is getting PT.

The Reds designated Womack for assignment. Also, I don't think Freel likes to play CF, as he's more comfortable closer to the lines. :P