Game Thread: Sox vs Twinkies 4-21-06

Capn12

Dammit, these Dog Day tix are hard to come by than Cub-Sox or Opening Day. I guess we'll have to wait till next year.

Remember, no fireworks tonight if a Sox hit a HR. Don't want to scare the dogs.

Let's hope that Johan's change still doesn't change. But the Twins bullpen still is pretty tight.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3:

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
ESPN made a good point when they said the Yankees have figured out that the best way to beat Santana is to up his pitch count and get into the bullpen. Not that it's a lock by any stretch, but at least you don't face Satan for nine innings.

I think you attack and hack early on in the count. If you take and take, you're gonna see a lot of called 3rd strikes. I'd rather go down swinging.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
I think you attack and hack early on in the count.  If you take and take, you're gonna see a lot of called 3rd strikes.  I'd rather go down swinging.

I don't know - I've seen that approach by the Sox. And it ain't pretty.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't know - I've seen that approach by the Sox. And it ain't pretty.

There really isn't a good approach against Santana, if he's on, you're done. That being said, I would say hacking away probably is the best way to go because if you get in a two strike hole and have to protect against that changeup you're in a lot of trouble.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
ESPN made a good point when they said the Yankees have figured out that the best way to beat Santana is to up his pitch count and get into the bullpen. Not that it's a lock by any stretch, but at least you don't face Satan for nine innings.

I have been saying this for years. Sit on the fastball and take three change-ups for strikes and sit down. I do not think hacking away is the way to go. I know this is easier said then done but the guy almost throws a perfect game at us all of the time. Let's hope this changes tonight.

I think he tires easy but we don't even make him work.

Odds makers have the Sox as a slight favorite.

Seems to me Johan starts off every year a little on the cold side. Whether he is on a hot streak or not, he is one of those pitchers that you really want to be productive against in the 1st inning. I'd like to see the Sox be very patient against him in the first. See if they can get a couple on and make him pay - before he gets that changeup of his going.