Star Trek to return in 08

Kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
Mission Impossible director JJ Abrams will run the show.

i just finished a book about Star Trek (written by Shatner) talking about all the movies and things behind the scenes at each one. Shatner talked about this movie being made a few years ago..and how everyone involved thought it was a great idea to go back the the younger years. It would have been cheaper to make with simplier special effects and an unknown cast.

Roddenberry was dead set against the idea and helped shut down the idea many times. i guess now that he's floating in outer space it's a go. Could be very interesting.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
After voyager I think everyone is bored of Star Trek.

Well, they still went ahead and made another show(Enterprise) that went on another 4 years after Voyager. Trekkies will be all about this, I have no doubt. Abrams wont have to worry about lack of interest.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
This is an odd-numbered movie (#11), so, it will suck.

I thought the last 4-5 were in the suck category, to be honest with you. Right now it seems like starting fresh is their best hope, because the plots for their past ventures all seemed to blur together.

I'm not a Trekkie, merely a casual fan, but the linked story talked about there being six TV series. Star Trek, Next Gen, Deep Space 9, Voyager, and Enterprise make five. Am I missing one, or are they counting the Filmation animated series from the 70s as the sixth one?

I was originally told the new movie would be about an all-new crew/cast. I guess prequels are just too cool for Paramount to pass up on this opportunity. Casting should be interesting for this, I can't see audiences accepting big-name actors as replacements for Shatner or Nimoy. It will be the first Star Trek movie to introduce a new cast like this so I imagine at least half of fans will automatically hate it.

Jim, I think only the 5 live-action series are considered canon, but the animated series would most likely be the one they are counting as #6.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I thought the last 4-5 were in the suck category, to be honest with you.  Right now it seems like starting fresh is their best hope, because the plots for their past ventures all seemed to blur together.

Hm.

I didn't watch the show much, except for Next Gen, which I watched some in college when it came out. But as far as the movies go, I liked #6 (The Undiscovered Country, the last one with just the old cast) better than any other than Khan (#2). The eight one, I think, was First Contact, which was passable. I didn't see any after that (9 or 10), so I have no idea on those.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
Hm.

I didn't watch the show much, except for Next Gen, which I watched some in college when it came out.  But as far as the movies go, I liked #6 (The Undiscovered Country, the last one with just the old cast) better than any other than Khan (#2).  The eight one, I think, was First Contact, which was passable.  I didn't see any after that (9 or 10), so I have no idea on those.

I got pretty dissapointed after the crew of the Enterprise was reduced to saving humpback whales in order to save the universe. Although it was kind of neat to see Spock using his pinch grip as a Sonogram. ;)

The Next Gen movies never really seemed to stray from the show too much, and i think that bothered me.

It's amazing how great Shatner is in some things, especially his non-Kirk, non-serious roles. The guy was incredible on 3rd Rock From the Sun, and is almost just as good on Boston Legal.

For me, the original Trek is the only one I ever kind of liked, and I didn't care much for any of the movies. Oh, I did like the one with the Borg, even though that was the Next Generation cast. But that was a pretty cool movie.