Jimmy Clausen Verbal Notre Dame

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Per ESPN News.

Brace yourself for four years of Joe Montana compairisons. <_>

Clausen has a gun and has been one of the highest pursued QBs in the country. I was sure he was going to play for USC. His brother is/was a QB for Tennessee so that was another thought.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Rick as well. Jimmy's verbal to ND has been a foregone conclusion for a while. Heck of a pick-up, and he should blossom as a likely 3 year starter under Weis.

Weis is probably 90% of why Jimmy is going there. He gets to blossom underneath one of the better offensive minds. I am not a Notre Dame guy by any means but this is a good pickup for them.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Per ESPN News.

Brace yourself for four years of Joe Montana compairisons. <_>

Or the Ron Powlus comparisons... :ph34r:

It's still early, and I'm sure plenty of schools are going to go after him until signing day. I doubt they see much success, but still it's not official until he signs on the dotted line in Feb.

Obviously this is a great get regardless of what kind of player Claussen turns into. Sure he could bust, but with Fraser and Jones in tow as well, we'll be ok if Claussen pulls a Powlus. But I think the big picture here is Claussen now becomes a large tool in the recruiting of other top prospects. Having him on board makes ND that much more attractive to recruits. And to be honest, that's what we really need; the kind of skill position players/athletes that ND rarely gets. If top receivers fall into the fold now, I wouldn't be surprised and that is a position we havent recruited well in a LONG time (granted the stovall/mcknight grab was quality 4 years ago).

I have a feeling this wont be the only commit this weekend as well; many top prospects are on campus for the Spring Game (which is tomorrow), and again with Claussen in the fold, these guys have even more incentive to jump right in. Last year it was pretty much first come first serve for those ND offered, so these players know they should commit before its too late and the class is full.

Regardless it's good to be a big player in recruiting again. All of a sudden the "obstacles" to recruiting at ND (academics, middle of nowhere, weather, etc) seem to be a thing of the past. And it's also pretty ridiculous that now ND will have to turn away it's 2nd 5 star QB prospect in as many years (Mustain last season, and potentially the younger Paulus brother this year).

Btw, I think I hear Beano Cook typing an article about Claussen winning 3 Hesimans and 3 National Championships. :P