Official NBA Playoffs Thread

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how many times Wade got the sissiest foul calls on him while Dirk and Terry were super harrassed and didnt get the same calls. That being said I dont really care who wins but it would be nice if the refs would call the game the same for both teams rather give Wade special treatment.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
I dont know how many times Wade got the sissiest foul calls on him while Dirk and Terry were super harrassed and didnt get the same calls. That being said I dont really care who wins but it would be nice if the refs would call the game the same for both teams rather give Wade special treatment.

Wade, like Michael, forces the refs to make a call. That's what I love about him. He's relentless. He never settles for off-balanced 25 foot 3's with two guys draped over him like Kobe. These last 3 games, especially the 4th quarters, have been legendary. Wade is the best player in the game. Period!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
Dallas is the biggest f***nuggit chocker mother f***ers I have ever seen.

That is all.

This series is far from over, but Dallas has nobody to blame but themselves for the position they are now in. When you're up 13 with 6 minutes to go, as they were in game 3, you finish them off. They didn't, and now it looks like it might cost them a title. I'm still in awe of Wade right now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)

Yeah, I agree with that. As good of a player as Wade is, he kind of reminds me of an Italian soccer player, everytime he gets hit it's an ordeal.

With that being said, Wade = clutch, go Dallas the rest of the way

Dallas still has homecourt, but they gave away 2 games they had no business losing at Miami due to choke jobs, lack of ability in the clutch, and general stupidity (oh, and they failed to show up for game 4). They better wake up back in Dallas, or else this will end on Tuesday.

So apparently there is some conspiracy now? Even though Dallas blew games 3 and 5 on their own? People should listen to Hubie Brown, he said the foul should have been on Dirk for grabbing the jersey first, but that Harris also got him on the arm. Photographic evidence supports Hubie's claims:

14vo5n7.jpg

Dirk jersey grab first

nba_g_wade2_412.jpg

Harris gets Wade on the arm

NBA conspiracy theorists often times have a point, but this isn't one of them. If Dallas doesn't let up in game 3, they would have had a 3-0 lead....and if they didn't choke at the line in key spot after key spot (Dirk, Howard) OR use their last timeout after the FIRST free throw (as Howard called to the ref.....twice), they lead 3-2 right now.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
The only basketball game I ever will believe there was a conspiracy was when Russia beat the USA in the Olympics way back when.

The only 2 I honestly believe were really fixed were that and game 6 of the 2002 WCF between Sacramento and the Lakers at Los Angeles. However nobody talks about it because Sacramento still had game 7 won (at home), only to choke it away multiple times.

I dont honestly believe there is a fix, but the deference superstars in the NBA get is ridiculous. I do however think that officals easily can dictate a game. The stillshots show there was contact, but when the play is shown at full speed, the contact is minimal. The worse call in my mind was the non-backcourt call against Wade earlier in the possession.

The real problem here is NBA officiating as a whole. Far too often they are able to dictate the way a game is played. Look no further than the Heat-Bulls series where the way officials handled Shaq had a major impact on games. NBA officals need a lot greater consistency throughout the game regardless of who has the ball and how convincing they can make contact appear.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
I dont honestly believe there is a fix, but the deference superstars in the NBA get is ridiculous. I do however think that officals easily can dictate a game. The stillshots show there was contact, but when the play is shown at full speed, the contact is minimal. The worse call in my mind was the non-backcourt call against Wade earlier in the possession.

The real problem here is NBA officiating as a whole. Far too often they are able to dictate the way a game is played. Look no further than the Heat-Bulls series where the way officials handled Shaq had a major impact on games. NBA officals need a lot greater consistency throughout the game regardless of who has the ball and how convincing they can make contact appear.

This goes back a LONG way. Nobody talks about it since he was on the Bulls, but some of the games the Bulls won because of Jordan getting the calls were as bad and worse than what you see now. I don't know how you'd fix this problem either, it's been happening for decades.

Dirk and/or Devon may have fouled Wade, but how about the three forearms he used to get free to even get to Dirk and Devon? That's the "MJ factor" right there, IMO. There's no way D-Wade gets called for pushing off in that situation, even though he should have. Not to mention the backcourt situation. Not to mention no Stack. Dallas played well, IMO, considering you had a 15 point scorer taken away by the league. Game 3 was a CHOKE, period, so ultimately Dallas is to blame as it shouldn't have gotten as far as it has.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
This goes back a LONG way. Nobody talks about it since he was on the Bulls, but some of the games the Bulls won because of Jordan getting the calls were as bad and worse than what you see now. I don't know how you'd fix this problem either, it's been happening for decades.

To clarify, I didnt say that it didnt go back to Jordan, I was just focusing on more recent events and IMO general consistency of officiating is the greatest hurdle for the league. Deferring to superstars for calls is laughable and the exact same reason many American sports fans claim to dislike soccer what with the diving and all.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
To clarify, I didnt say that it didnt go back to Jordan, I was just focusing on more recent events and IMO general consistency of officiating is the greatest hurdle for the league. Deferring to superstars for calls is laughable and the exact same reason many American sports fans claim to dislike soccer what with the diving and all.

Agreed on all counts, and I wasn't really calling out your point, but rather pointing out that it has been going on forever for the simple point of clarification.

Aren't you allowed to throw the ball backcourt in that situation? No way the refs could botch that call if it were illegal. They're not that bad. And, yes, officiating in the NBA has been horrible for years.

I just found out that you're allowed to throw the ball backcourt on an inbounds play. So the refs didn't miss anything there.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Aren't you allowed to throw the ball backcourt in that situation? No way the refs could botch that call if it were illegal. They're not that bad. And, yes, officiating in the NBA has been horrible for years.

I just found out that you're allowed to throw the ball backcourt on an inbounds play. So the refs didn't miss anything there.

There was something about catching it in mid-air like he did which would of made it illegal still or so ive heard but i dont know about that. Still for 1 player to get as many foul shots as an entire team... you know there is something wrong there and that should never happen ever in a NBA game.

Things are being blown way out of proportion. Dirk Nowitski also happens to have made and taken more free throws than any other player in playoff history this year, passing Jordan a few games ago. Superstars that attack the hole will make their own breaks, it's just part of the game.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Things are being blown way out of proportion. Dirk Nowitski also happens to have made and taken more free throws than any other player in playoff history this year, passing Jordan a few games ago. Superstars that attack the hole will make their own breaks, it's just part of the game.

^^^

The great ones force the refs to make calls. Maybe the Mavs should ease up on the jumpshooting and start attacking more.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)
^^^

The great ones force the refs to make calls. Maybe the Mavs should ease up on the jumpshooting and start attacking more.

Now that I agree with 100%. I've been yelling at the tv the whole damn series (yes, including game one and two) QUIT TAKING THE DAMN JUMPSHOT!!!!!

Dallas is most dangerous when they run and get easy points, or they get points in the 10 foot and in area at first and THEN work the ball outside. If they start jumpshots early, Miami wins and it's over tonight.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Now that I agree with 100%. I've been yelling at the tv the whole damn series (yes, including game one and two) QUIT TAKING THE DAMN JUMPSHOT!!!!!

Dallas is most dangerous when they run and get easy points, or they get points in the 10 foot and in area at first and THEN work the ball outside. If they start jumpshots early, Miami wins and it's over tonight.

The irony is that the Mavs have to look no further than the Bulls to confirm that... When the Bulls were beating the Heat, it was when they were taking the ball to the hole. They started losing when they became perimeter oriented. You have to get Shaq and the front line into foul trouble, and then ride Wade on defense like a horse, smacking him off of screens, while grabbing and slowing him down on the offensive end. Tire him out, beat him up. Then, you can beat the Heat.