Geocaching

Texsox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
I like the idea of the GEO part.  Sending someone to a great spot to see something cool is great.  Put I am not a fan of the CACHING aspect.  Too much like littering to me.

Well, there are always virtual caches which bring people to an interesting spot. The only trace is the internet logs. For some locations, that is much more appropriate. In doing some research I am finding dozens near my home. I finally broke down and bought a GPS and will be spending the afternoon learning.

I will not use it for most wilderness navigating, I prefer to use and teach map and compass navigation. Once someone has mastered that, perhaps relying in batteries and electronics may make sense.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
Well, there are always virtual caches which bring people to an interesting spot. The only trace is the internet logs. For some locations, that is much more appropriate. In doing some research I am finding dozens near my home. I finally broke down and bought a GPS and will be spending the afternoon learning.

I will not use it for most wilderness navigating, I prefer to use and teach map and compass navigation. Once someone has mastered that, perhaps relying in batteries and electronics may make sense.

GPS is great stuff. Adventuring will never be the same.

I agree on map and compass, we generally use those for most things. But, there have been few times where we have been cutting new trail and path, through rugged terrain, and would have likely become hopelessly mired without the GPS. Sure, we would have eventually made it out OK, but having lost a day or two. With the GPS, you can be much more confident.

GPS, along with Google Earth, have opened up brave new worlds for many people, and made trip planning a snap for those of us who already spend time venturing into the wilds. My concern is that many rookies will start wandering out there into the wilderness on their own, thinking that a GPS and their Google Earth flyover track will make them mountain men. Look for a rise in backcountry rescue calls in remote areas in the next few years.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
GPS is great stuff.  Adventuring will never be the same.

I agree on map and compass, we generally use those for most things.  But, there have been few times where we have been cutting new trail and path, through rugged terrain, and would have likely become hopelessly mired without the GPS.  Sure, we would have eventually made it out OK, but having lost a day or two.  With the GPS, you can be much more confident.

GPS, along with Google Earth, have opened up brave new worlds for many people, and made trip planning a snap for those of us who already spend time venturing into the wilds.  My concern is that many rookies will start wandering out there into the wilderness on their own, thinking that a GPS and their Google Earth flyover track will make them mountain men.  Look for a rise in backcountry rescue calls in remote areas in the next few years.

Cell phones + GPS + "survival" shows + SUVs + Male egos = disasters

I watch some of those survival shows, and listen to what people are impressed with and realize the 11 year olds in my Troop have a better grasp of how to enjoy the outdoors and stay alive then 99% of the population. Everyone of my Scouts laughs when they here that someone survived four days without food. Oooooh, that's hard. Try four days without a reliable water supply . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Cell phones + GPS + "survival" shows + SUVs + Male egos = disasters

I watch some of those survival shows, and listen to what people are impressed with and realize the 11 year olds in my Troop have a better grasp of how to enjoy the outdoors and stay alive then 99% of the population. Everyone of my Scouts laughs when they here that someone survived four days without food. Oooooh, that's hard. Try four days without a reliable water supply . . .

And the thing is, only 1 of the 5 things you listed there (GPS) will actually function properly in a real wilderness. And even that requires some skill to use properly.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
I did this one winter after my brother got a GPS unit for Christmas.

We released a Travel Bug that now has 13,000+ miles on it. It's traveled from the Chicago area to FL, CA, New England, UK, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Wow, that is some travelling. I was thinking of releasing one with the mission to make it to the cell. With the winter Texans down here, there's a chance. I'm thinking this will be good excercise for me and a fun activity for my Scouts.