April 22nd Game Thread Twins at Sox

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk and DJ keep talking about how Freddy needs to learn how to pitch at this velocity, and how he used to have some gas and needs to pitch around with this stuff.

Can someone tell me outside of an injury, how someone drops 5 or more mph on his fastball and it doesnt raise any warning signs. Freddy doesnt have the control to become Buerhle or Maddux and pitch at 85-87. He goes deep into counts and relies on his stuff to get people out. He uses his fastball to offset his breaking stuff, if his fastball is not there people are going to sit at a speed and get some contact on him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Hawk and DJ keep talking about how Freddy needs to learn how to pitch at this velocity, and how he used to have some gas and needs to pitch around with this stuff.

Can someone tell me outside of an injury, how someone drops 5 or more mph on his fastball and it doesnt raise any warning signs.  Freddy doesnt have the control to become Buerhle or Maddux and pitch at 85-87.  He goes deep into counts and relies on his stuff to get people out.  He uses his fastball to offset his breaking stuff, if his fastball is not there people are going to sit at a speed and get some contact on him.

You are exactly right. Freddy HAS to get his speed back. He can't survive for very much longer without it. People will adjust, and smack his pitches all over the place. I'm SURE Cooper can get it going though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)

Can someone tell me outside of an injury, how someone drops 5 or more mph on his fastball and it doesnt raise any warning signs.  Freddy doesnt have the control to become Buerhle or Maddux and pitch at 85-87.  He goes deep into counts and relies on his stuff to get people out.  He uses his fastball to offset his breaking stuff, if his fastball is not there people are going to sit at a speed and get some contact on him.

I think it's Freddy being hard headed to be honest. I think he proved that he can still throw hard in his 2nd start, he's just trying to pitch different right now..why I'm not exactly sure. He'll be fine though. It's not like he's been throwing that hard since he came over from Seattle anyways.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
I think it's Freddy being hard headed to be honest.  I think he proved that he can still throw hard in his 2nd start, he's just trying to pitch different right now..why I'm not exactly sure.  He'll be fine though.  It's not like he's been throwing that hard since he came over from Seattle anyways.

He was in the 90s last Sunday too. I also think he's had a tough time warming up and getting loose in this weather for some reason.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
I think it's Freddy being hard headed to be honest.  I think he proved that he can still throw hard in his 2nd start, he's just trying to pitch different right now..why I'm not exactly sure.  He'll be fine though.  It's not like he's been throwing that hard since he came over from Seattle anyways.

FSN North has him throwing in the upper 80's/low 90's on his fastball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
Have we had any successful bunts this season?  This early in the game, I hate the idea of playing for one run.

With no outs, and Cintron being a speedy guy, that was the perfect call. Put pressure on the D early. Now, had Mack been on 1st, it would have been completely different.

The Baby just messed up the bunt.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
With no outs, and Cintron being a speedy guy, that was the perfect call. Put pressure on the D early. Now, had Mack been on 1st, it would have been completely different.

The Baby just messed up the bunt.

Terrible call. We're hitting Radke left and right, and it's the second inning. Also should note that with a man on second you bunt down the third base line.