Surprising 'Stros

Gregory Pratt

Am I the only one stunned that the best records in baseball are held by Chicago and the Mets, teams hailed all off-season long for their teams, but also by the Houston Astros who I, frankly, thought would fizzle and die?

Maybe the Rocket will come back to Houston after all. The media keeps saying that he wants to come back with a team that gives him a chance to win. And, if that's the case, then what better team than Houston -- particularly considering that they're in a weaker league and thus likelier to get to the World Series?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Am I the only one stunned that the best records in baseball are held by Chicago and the Mets, teams hailed all off-season long for their teams, but also by the Houston Astros who I, frankly, thought would fizzle and die?

Maybe the Rocket will come back to Houston after all. The media keeps saying that he wants to come back with a team that gives him a chance to win. And, if that's the case, then what better team than Houston -- particularly considering that they're in a weaker league and thus likelier to get to the World Series?

The Astros have been one of the most consistently successful franchises in the Major Leagues over the past ten years. They have made several playoff appearances, advanced to a few LCS and made their first WS appearance last year. They are a well run organization that continues to have success. I would say they are the best run franchise in the majors after the Braves (and possibly the Cardinals). I mean no disrespect to the Yankees and Red Sox, but while their runs of success have been impressive in their own right, the Astros have done it without spending excessive $$$ on multiple superstars and have also done an exceptional job of promoting from within the organization. Their continued success does not surprise me in the least bit.

As far as the Mets are concerned, Glavine has been surprisingly good thus far. I don't think that it will last based on his recent track record. I dunno much about Bannister, but he has pitched well. Trachsel and Zambrano suck. There are just way too many question marks in that rotation, and IMO their bullpen is not exactly playoff caliber.

But the hitting? God damn is that lineup scary.

The ‘Stros have been getting quality pitching from Oswalt and Rodriguez. Pettitte is off to a slow start, but if he can get it together than the rotation for these ‘Stros isn’t all that bad considering how the NL Central is. Plus if Clemens decides to come back, than they will definitely compete.

The offense is off to a good start. Berkman and Ensberg are hitting and as long as Biggio and Taveras are getting on base, than the big bats will bring ‘em home.

What do you mean Glaivne's recent tradk record? He's had an era under 4 the last two years and was outstanding since the BReak last year. Its not a fluke. He started having faith in his pitches again. He was throwing soft stuff in and the fastball away which was causing him to get beat in 03. He committed to throwing his fastball inside again and hitters aren't hitting it fair

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
What do you mean Glaivne's recent tradk record? He's had an era under 4 the last two years and was outstanding since the BReak last year. Its not a fluke. He started having faith in his pitches again. He was throwing soft stuff in and the fastball away which was causing him to get beat in 03. He committed to throwing his fastball inside again and hitters aren't hitting it fair

His 05 splits are crazy retarded. A 5.00 ERA, a 1.75 WHIP, and a .325 BAA in the first half? In a pitching paradise like Shea?

BAA over first 4 months:

April: .308

May: .317

June: .333

July: .303

And his 2003 season? Absolutely brutal.

Basically, he's not as bad as his 03 numbers would suggest, but he's also not as good as his 06 numbers (thus far) would suggest.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Not sure why it's a huge surprise.  Once again they are built on pitching and an offense built for their home park, a great plan.

yeah I'm not surprised much either. I'm a little surprised that they are doing this well without Clemens though. Who needs him? :D

The biggest difference has been Morgan Ensberg. He looks like a completely different batter this year. He was good last year, but he has been locked in this year.

.411 BA, .522 OBP, .964 SLG, 1.486 OPS, 8 HRs, 17 Runs, 16 RBI, and 12 BBs to 9 Ks.

Also, players like Ausmus, Everett, and Burke are all hitting better than last year.

Wandy Rodriguez has also been a surprise.

Another factor is that they have not played a team with a winning record, so once that happens I am sure their record willl come down to normal.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
The biggest difference has been Morgan Ensberg.  He looks like a completely different batter this year.  He was good last year, but he has been locked in this year.

.411 BA, .522 OBP, .964 SLG, 1.486 OPS, 8 HRs, 17 Runs, 16 RBI, and 12 BBs to 9 Ks.

Umm first of all, it's still early. And 2nd, Morgan Ensberg last year:

.283/.388/.557/.945 on the splits, 36 HR, 101 RBI, 85 BB, 30 2B, 86 R, 150 H

How the hell has he looked completely different? Dude was a stud last year and he's off to a hot start this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
Umm first of all, it's still early.  And 2nd, Morgan Ensberg last year:

How the hell has he looked completely different?  Dude was a stud last year and he's off to a hot start this year.

Last time I checked a .411 avg > .283 by a lot. Also 8 HR's he has been as good as a hitter if not better than Thome so far. And he wasnt near that last season although as shown still had a great season.

Also doesnt everett lead NL shortstops in RBI's or something yeah that will stop he is horrible offensively. Would be kind of cool if we had a rematch Houstan vs Whitesox. One team people shouldnt sleep on though is the Cubs. If they can stay in reach imagine the boost they will get with Prior, Wood, Miller, and Dlee all coming back in a month or two. Their bullpen is very good and with Dlee also have a good lineup.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
Umm first of all, it's still early.  And 2nd, Morgan Ensberg last year:

How the hell has he looked completely different?  Dude was a stud last year and he's off to a hot start this year.

Umm, Ensberg is batting .128 pts better, OBP of .134 pts better, SLG of .407 better, making his OPS .541 better compared to 2005.

Also, the biggest thing making him look different is his K:BB ratio. The one number you left off was his 119 Ks in 2005. He has more BBs this year than Ks, and he has never done that in his career. He also has 8 HRs in 17 games compared to 12 HRs in 64 games after the All-Star break. I would equate that to looking different.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
Last time I checked a .411 avg > .283 by a lot.  Also 8 HR's he has been as good as a hitter if not better than Thome so far.  And he wasnt near that last season although as shown still had a great season.

Also doesnt everett lead NL shortstops in RBI's or something yeah that will stop he is horrible offensively.  Would be kind of cool if we had a rematch Houstan vs Whitesox.  One team people shouldnt sleep on though is the Cubs.  If they can stay in reach imagine the boost they will get with Prior, Wood, Miller, and Dlee all coming back in a month or two.  Their bullpen is very good and with Dlee also have a good lineup.

Yeah Everett leading the league in anything is amazing.

Two things that cannot be overlooked is their schedule (they have not played a winning team), and their record in One Run games (6-0).

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
The Astros have been one of the most consistently successful franchises in the Major Leagues over the past ten years. They have made several playoff appearances, advanced to a few LCS and made their first WS appearance last year. They are a well run organization that continues to have success. I would say they are the best run franchise in the majors after the Braves (and possibly the Cardinals). I mean no disrespect to the Yankees and Red Sox, but while their runs of success have been impressive in their own right, the Astros have done it without spending excessive $$$ on multiple superstars and have also done an exceptional job of promoting from within the organization. Their continued success does not surprise me in the least bit.

You know, I may be totally off base here, but I believe the 'Stros won their first post season series in '05. They may have 'advanced' to some LCS's prior to the wild card era, but they haven't been a prime example of post season success by any means.

The Astros are 12-5 against Florida, Washington, Arizona, San Francisco, Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh

Hardly a tough schedule, but, I do think they are going to eventually level out and start playing to what they will really be like.. Im finding it hard to see them as a contending team again

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)

I disagree with that, in the last two years they have had some big contracts for multiple superstars. Clemens, Bagwell, Petitte, Oswalt, Berkman, all have salaries that exceed 11 million a year. I dont remember what Kent was making 2 years ago, but I know he wasnt cheap either. Than you have their second tier of players that make 4 million a year in Preston Wilson, Biggio, Ensberg, Lidge. The team has thrown the money around at their big names, no doubt. The thing they have done well is promote from within, they havent had to go outside of their own organization very much to fortify their roster. And thats the way it should be if you ask me, if your players come up and perform, you pay them.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
I disagree with that, in the last two years they have had some big contracts for multiple superstars.  Clemens, Bagwell, Petitte, Oswalt, Berkman, all have salaries that exceed 11 million a year.  I dont remember what Kent was making 2 years ago, but I know he wasnt cheap either.  Than you have their second tier of players that make 4 million a year in Preston Wilson, Biggio, Ensberg, Lidge.  The team has thrown the money around at their big names, no doubt.  The thing they have done well is promote from within, they havent had to go outside of their own organization very much to fortify their roster.  And thats the way it should be if you ask me, if your players come up and perform, you pay them.

The last 2 offseasons combined the Astros have added ONE so-so free agent.. and that was Preston Wilson

They havent really done much the past few years, its really dissapointing living here and wanting them to actually DO something and they dont sign a damn person worth anything for the second year in a row

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
The last 2 offseasons combined the Astros have added ONE so-so free agent.. and that was Preston Wilson

They havent really done much the past few years, its really dissapointing living here and wanting them to actually DO something and they dont sign a damn person worth anything for the second year in a row

Well what should they do? They made the world series last year, its not like they had a bad team. :huh

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Well what should they do?  They made the world series last year, its not like they had a bad team.  :huh

Because they dont ever address places of need.. they got extremely lucky last year that Clemens, Oswalt, and Pettitte all had tremendous years because they back of their rotation was horrible..

This year, the back of the rotation is again pretty poor and itll start showing up when they actually play some good teams..

Im not saying they need to go out and spend a ton of money every offseason but to sit around and do nothing is one reason why I dont think they are going to make the playoffs this year

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Because they dont ever address places of need.. they got extremely lucky last year that Clemens, Oswalt, and Pettitte all had tremendous years because they back of their rotation was horrible..

This year, the back of the rotation is again pretty poor and itll start showing up when they actually play some good teams..

Im not saying they need to go out and spend a ton of money every offseason but to sit around and do nothing is one reason why I dont think they are going to make the playoffs this year

They play in the national league, so they aren't going to be playing against good teams very often.....

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
They have made several playoff appearances, advanced to a few LCS and made their first WS appearance last year.

Last year was their second time ever winning a playoff series. The first time was the year before, when they lost the LCS to St.L. They've were manhandled by the Braves year after year, when the killer B's would choke Cub-style.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
They play in the national league, so they aren't going to be playing against good teams very often.....

The Marlins and Pirates could be two of the worst teams I have seen. The NL in total is very weak. I really can not think of a good team. Every team has at least one glaring weakness.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)

Not sure I consider Brandon Backe "horrible." He went through some growing pains, but got a lot better over the course of the season.

The 'Stros also started last year at 15-30 and were without Bagwell for most of the season... not exactly what I'd call "lucky." The fact that Clemens had one of the best seasons ever certainly did help. However, even if Roger had a "normal" season, a team with him, Oswalt, Pettite, Lidge, Berkman, Ensberg, and very talented up-and-coming guys like Taveras and Lane, is almost automatically going to be competitive.

Agreed that the Stros probably weren't the most talented team in their league last year but, then again, neither were the Sox.

I was at the game last night when Lidge completely choked, then gave up the granny to Nomar..

Me and my brother saw that s*** coming before Lidge even stepped out of the bullpen.. man, every since the St. Louis series last year he has been goin downhill