Boone Logan...

ThinWhiteDuque

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I'm just wondering if we still even need three lefties.  Thornton has barely pitched and I just wonder if we would be better off with another righty than Logan.

With Tracey settling in at AAA, he's got a legit shot....at least when he quits with the darn walks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Well Boone hasn't had the chance to prove himself and won't if you give him 3.2 whole innings to prove himself.  The guy has the stuff and the motion to be a successful reliever in this league.

He was actually given one batter to prove himself in his supposed LOOGY role, and recorded a blown save. That was enough for Ozzie to deem his new role was only to pitch if we were winning or losing by more than three runs. To continue using him in these situations doesn't let him prove much and it's really unecessary for him to be on the team. He should be sent down so he can develop to a point where hopefully he'll be more useful to the team in the future, because we have our choice of other arms to log innings in games that are almost in the books.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
He was actually given one batter to prove himself in his supposed LOOGY role, and recorded a blown save.  That was enough for Ozzie to deem his new role was only to pitch if we were winning or losing by more than three runs.  To continue using him in these situations doesn't let him prove much and it's really unecessary for him to be on the team.  He should be sent down so he can develop to a point where hopefully he'll be more useful to the team in the future, because we have our choice of other arms to log innings in games that are almost in the books.

Ok, so you give him one batter against a top 5 hitter in the american league. 3.2 innings isn't going to cut it, he has some talent and if he throws strikes he'll be fine.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
The guy has given up 1 whole run.  He couldn't find the strikezone today but this is the first time including spring training that, that has happened.  If he can't throw strikes you guys are all right..he's useless but if he can continue to pound the strike zone, then he'll be a fine loogy.

The problem is lack of work opportunities for the relief corp. You get the 10th and 11th pitchers on the team and they get even less than the other relief pitchers. Look at yesterdays game where Jenks get used in the 9th in a 9-2 game/ It is just to try and get him some work. All the relief pitchers are going to have to work on the sidelines with some intensity to keep themselves ready because our starters are going 6 plus innings every game.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
i didnt see what happened, someone recap

Boone came in yesterday, the Sox were already up 6-2, and he got one out and then proceeded to walk 2 batters, and his pitches werent even close. McCarthy came in, walked one more, then got Hunter to fly out deep to right field.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Boone came in yesterday, the Sox were already up 6-2, and he got one out and then proceeded to walk 2 batters, and his pitches werent even close.  McCarthy came in, walked one more, then got Hunter to fly out deep to right field.

Glad I wasn't around to see that.

I really hope that KW makes a deal for another reliever before the deadline. No offense to Logan, who I'm sure has enough talent to make it in the majors, but he just ain't ready yet.

Isn't it great how we are the hottest team in baseball, with the best pitching rotation by far; however, all of us (Soxtalkers) still find something to complain about on this site. Let's enjoy the ride and only throw our arms up in the air when it is duly called for.

Joe for Gold Glove!!! :gosox4:

Edited by Guillen'sGuy

QUOTE(Guillen'sGuy @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
Isn't it great how we are the hottest team in baseball, with the best pitching rotation by far; however, all of us (Soxtalkers) still find something to complain about on this site.  Let's enjoy the ride and only throw our arms up in the air when it is duly called for. 

Joe for Gold Glove!!! :gosox4:

It's not complaining; it's keeping an eye on the 25 guys who will hopefully bring us back to the World Series, and right now, we have to examine any weak spots that we have in the hopes that we can improve on them before it becomes too late.

Obviously Boone Logan's ineffectiveness and low batting averages from a handful of the guys aren't keeping us from enjoying the fantastic run we're on right now, but come on, it's not time to sit back, throw your feet on the ottoman and proclaim "all is well" just yet. Some may argue it never is.

Things are great right now, and interestingly, they could get better if we see an upgrade on Logan, who I would not feel confident seeing in any game situation at this point without an 8 run difference either way.

It's only been a few innings, yes. We should give him a chance to prove he either can or can not handle big league hitters, yes. Is this call for demoting him overreaction? Maybe, but if we come across an improvement, I can't see why we shouldnt jump on it, considering that Logan looks very uncomfrotable and generally outmatched with every hitter he sees.

So, we are smart enough to know that after 2 walks it is time to let the guy go. You know, if managememt just made moves according to the perceptions of us all-knowing fans, imagine the result. Paulie would be long gone. So would Crede, and Count, ...and Garland. Dang, I am not so sure Buehrle would still be on the team.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
How so? He gave up one ER... He should of never of been put out there with Vazquez's runners on base...

Why? We had an 11 run lead who cares about the runners on base. Would of been nice for Vazquez if they didnt score? sure.... but more importantly we won and Logan got some solid work in.

He looked servicable but still unable to consistently throw strikes when needed. He also was hit pretty hard and benefitted from the ballpark. I think Thorton brings more to the table but hasn't been used much. Cotts, Politte, McCarthy and Jenks will make it really hard to get these two into any games with the starting pitching going as they are, assuming the other four are doing as they have.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 07:41 AM)
He looked servicable but still unable to consistently throw strikes when needed.  He also was hit pretty hard and benefitted from the ballpark.  I think Thorton brings more to the table but hasn't been used much.  Cotts, Politte, McCarthy and Jenks will make it really hard to get these two into any games with the starting pitching going as they are, assuming the other  four are doing as they have.

I really did like what I saw from Logan last night on a raw level...his fastball looked surprisingly explosive given that it was only in the low 90's (especially on the lefties), he had a lot of movement on his pitches, he has a real quick delivery to the plate (i.e. you won't be stealing easily on him), and I really think the kid has some talent.

But if you watched him pitch last night...his problem was obvious, and it's not one that should be totally unexpected; he was scared of the hitters. He was scared that if he didn't throw the perfect pitch every time, the batter would pull a Travis Hafner on him.

We've all seen this before. It happens to most rookie pitchers not named Mark Buehrle; they come up and wind up being a bit wild because they're trying to paint the corner with every single pitch because they think if the ball is over the middle of the plate, it's going to fly 450 feet. What they wind up doing then is falling behind a couple of hitters, walking a couple guys, and then the ball flies 425 feet, but it's a 3 run homer instead of a solo shot.

Logan last night looked like Garland in 2000. He had the stuff to get people out, he just was being too careful. When Ozzie came out & b****ed him out, he suddenly started just throwing it, and got outs. He adapted a little better in the 9th too.

It'll take Logan some time, but I really liked how the kid's pitches looked last night. He's not there yet, and he's not going to get there if we drop him to AAA, but we've got a couple coaches who are pretty darn good at convincing pitchers to just go out and throw strikes and see what happens (think about the work they've done with Garland). Keep him in some mop up duty for now, and hopefully within a couple months, or maybe by next year, this kid's going to be looking real good in that bullpen alongside Neal.

Amen. Boone has a future, but he's not there yet. This is a team that needs every last pitcher in the pen to be able to get consistent outs and he's not there. What Logan was going to do was pretty minor - get out Hafner, Martinez, Sizemore, Mauer, and Morneau.

I wouldn't trust him against those guys right now, or probably this year.