A Democratic Theme beginning to emerge.

Rex Kickass

It seems that the Democratic Party may actually have learned something in the last couple years, they seem to be introducing a simple agenda and message to share with voters to talk about what they stand for.

Howard Dean:

Raise the Minimum Wage

Fairness for the Middle Class

Ban Lobbyist Largesse

Give All Cargo a Security Inspection

Fix Medicare Drug Plan

Transition in Iraq.

Rahm Emmanuel:

Make College Education affordable.

Fix the Budget

Acheive Energy Independence

Spur innovation in the Sciences

Universal Health Care

John Kerry:

Tell the truth.

Fire incompetent people.

Find Osama bin Laden/Secure our ports of entry.

Bring the troops home from Iraq.

Respect the Rule of Law.

Protect our Civil Rights.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, HOW do we do all this?

(insert Dem name here)

Raise taxes

Put small businesses in a harder situation

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Put Iraq into a vacuum

All right! I'm all about that.

But at least they are starting to present ideas, but it's more rhetoric then anything to me, until they start talking about HOW they are going to accomplish this.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
John Kerry:

Tell the truth.

Fire incompetent people.

Respect the Rule of Law.

does this mean he is resigning?

If the Democrats REALLY wanted to win big this fall they would do the following.

They would simply promise to take away every last dollar of subsidies from the oil industry and split the proceeds to fund research into alternative fuels and lowering the federal gasoline tax.

I might even vote for a Democrat who ran on such a campaign theme.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
ok, HOW do we do all this? 

(insert Dem name here)

Raise taxes

Put small businesses in a harder situation

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Raise taxes

Put Iraq into a vacuum

All right!  I'm all about that.

But at least they are starting to present ideas, but it's more rhetoric then anything to me, until they start talking about HOW they are going to accomplish this.

If the Republicans were being responsible with the budget to begin with, they would have raised taxes too.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:54 AM)
If the Republicans were being responsible with the budget to begin with, they would have raised taxes too.

ABSOLUTELY not. They should have not have spent like drunken sailors. Low taxes, even less spending, is what they SHOULD have done. And for this, they should pay, but the alternative is worse.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
If the Democrats REALLY wanted to win big this fall they would do the following.

They would simply promise to take away every last dollar of subsidies from the oil industry and split the proceeds to fund research into alternative fuels and lowering the federal gasoline tax.

I might even vote for a Democrat who ran on such a campaign theme.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Except maybe the Fed Gas Tax. That would be good politically, but I think its a mistake economically.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
ABSOLUTELY not.  They should have not have spent like drunken sailors.  Low taxes, even less spending, is what they SHOULD have done.  And for this, they should pay, but the alternative is worse.

The alternative is worse? What have you been smoking? The Republicans increase the budget at a greater pace than the Democrats did even when they controlled both houses and the Presidency.

I think its responsible to make sure that any additional expense that you assess is covered with matching revenue.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
The alternative is worse? What have you been smoking? The Republicans increase the budget at a greater pace than the Democrats did even when they controlled both houses and the Presidency.

I think its responsible to make sure that any additional expense that you assess is covered with matching revenue.

Higher taxes = higher spending. No.

They need to CUT SPENDING.

And no, the Republicans didn't do it, and they should be held accountable, but I don't want to see the government triple in size from where it is now, you know, with "universal health care", "education", "medicare", "social security", etc.

Anyone other than me think that a balanced budget amendment is a good idea?

As for overspending and undertaxing versus overspending and taxing for it, I'll take the latter, thank you. I am tired of this administration, and this Congress, indebting us into oblivion. Balanced budget should be the model, but between the two evils, better we cover our bills than increas our debt.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)

As for overspending and undertaxing versus overspending and taxing for it, I'll take the latter, thank you.  I am tired of this administration, and this Congress, indebting us into oblivion.  Balanced budget should be the model, but between the two evils, better we cover our bills than increas our debt.

The problem is...on paper, a balanced budget amendment is just an absolutely awful idea. Both this country and the world's economies are stronger because of the fact that the U.S. government can run deficits at a time of heavy need, such as during a war or to rebuild something after a crisis (i.e. Katrina).

But practically, I could even find a way to support one right now, because thanks to the recent administrations whose names I will not utter, suddenly instead of using deficit spending to finance things which are short-term high expenditure events, we've gone and decided to fund regular portions of the budget using deficit spending.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)

As for overspending and undertaxing versus overspending and taxing for it, I'll take the latter, thank you.  I am tired of this administration, and this Congress, indebting us into oblivion.  Balanced budget should be the model, but between the two evils, better we cover our bills than increas our debt.

It's OUR damn money. So let's raise revenues, across the board, for the government, so they can SPEND MORE! What a formula.

Last time I checked, raising revenue to spend more doesn't really help.

The only way we get out of these deficits is to STOP waste. Or, how about we all go a year without a salary and just give it to the government, so they can do what they want with it?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
The problem is...on paper, a balanced budget amendment is just an absolutely awful idea.  Both this country and the world's economies are stronger because of the fact that the U.S. government can run deficits at a time of heavy need, such as during a war or to rebuild something after a crisis (i.e. Katrina).

But practically, I could even find a way to support one right now, because thanks to the recent administrations whose names I will not utter, suddenly instead of using deficit spending to finance things which are short-term high expenditure events, we've gone and decided to fund regular portions of the budget using deficit spending.

I don't agree that it is an awful idea. Its not that I am naive to the fact that government spending can represent an enormous boost to the economy - its that the long run factors are more important to me than the short run. Our increasing debt, our unwillingness to address waste in any real way, a desire by recent administrations to overspend... its going to be a repeating pattern, unless something changes. In my view, a balanced budget requirement of some sort is the best solution.

Here are two other ideas:

1. Want to stop waste? Want government agencies to perform at private industry standards? Then why not do what companies do? Have private consulting firms (Accenture and the like) do a real and complete audit for ALL government agencies, to see where the money goes. Set the budgetary AND performance goals based on the reports. Reward agencies for efficiency, fire manager at agencies still being wasteful.

2. Want to eliminate pork? Time for a Truth in Legislation Act. One bill = one subject. Every bill sent to the floor for a vote gets an OMB/GAO (or private firm again) review of the text. Anything in the bill not directly related to the subject matter of the bill is shaved off, and would have to be passed seperately. Exception would be made, of course, for annual budgets.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I don't agree that it is an awful idea.  Its not that I am naive to the fact that government spending can represent an enormous boost to the economy - its that the long run factors are more important to me than the short run.  Our increasing debt, our unwillingness to address waste in any real way, a desire by recent administrations to overspend... its going to be a repeating pattern, unless something changes.  In my view, a balanced budget requirement of some sort is the best solution.

1. Want to stop waste?  Want government agencies to perform at private industry standards?  Then why not do what companies do?  Have private consulting firms (Accenture and the like) do a real and complete audit for ALL government agencies, to see where the money goes.  Set the budgetary AND performance goals based on the reports.  Reward agencies for efficiency, fire manager at agencies still being wasteful.

2. Want to eliminate pork?  Time for a Truth in Legislation Act.  One bill = one subject.  Every bill sent to the floor for a vote gets an OMB/GAO (or private firm again) review of the text.  Anything in the bill not directly related to the subject matter of the bill is shaved off, and would have to be passed seperately.  Exception would be made, of course, for annual budgets.

3. Line item veto with a 60 vote override.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I don't agree that it is an awful idea.  Its not that I am naive to the fact that government spending can represent an enormous boost to the economy - its that the long run factors are more important to me than the short run.  Our increasing debt, our unwillingness to address waste in any real way, a desire by recent administrations to overspend... its going to be a repeating pattern, unless something changes.  In my view, a balanced budget requirement of some sort is the best solution.

1. Want to stop waste?  Want government agencies to perform at private industry standards?  Then why not do what companies do?  Have private consulting firms (Accenture and the like) do a real and complete audit for ALL government agencies, to see where the money goes.  Set the budgetary AND performance goals based on the reports.  Reward agencies for efficiency, fire manager at agencies still being wasteful.

2. Want to eliminate pork?  Time for a Truth in Legislation Act.  One bill = one subject.  Every bill sent to the floor for a vote gets an OMB/GAO (or private firm again) review of the text.  Anything in the bill not directly related to the subject matter of the bill is shaved off, and would have to be passed seperately.  Exception would be made, of course, for annual budgets.

Friday, the Chicago Trib reported that just 6 in 100 Chicago Public H.S. freshmen will go on to get a college degree. Also, 67% of Chicago 4th graders test below grade level in reading. The Fed spends 53 billion on public education every year. A good place to start would be to blow up the Dept. of Education. The only remaining element should be a national test, written in English, that qualifies you to move out of 4th, 8th and 12th grade.

It seems that the Democratic Party may actually have learned something in the last couple years, they seem to be introducing a simple agenda and message to share with voters to talk about what they stand for.

Howard Dean:

Raise the Minimum Wage

Ban Lobbyist Largesse

Fix Medicare Drug Plan

Transition in Iraq.

Rahm Emmanuel:

Fix the Budget

Universal Health Care

John Kerry:

Tell the truth.

Fire incompetent people.

Respect the Rule of Law.

You forgot Teddy K's 21 points.

Howard Dean:

Raise the Minimum Wage

Ban Lobbyist Largesse

Fix Medicare Drug Plan

Transition in Iraq.

Rahm Emmanuel:

Fix the Budget

Universal Health Care

John Kerry:

Tell the truth.

Fire incompetent people.

Respect the Rule of Law.

Kerry's first point is almost surreal.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Except maybe the Fed Gas Tax.  That would be good politically, but I think its a mistake economically.

Speaking of gas taxes. Guess who has made the most from high oil prices????

Gov't.... Fed State and Local... Don't hear any b****ing about this.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)

How do you think the unions will respond to the results of these audits. My guess is they will use the reports for toilet paper.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Friday, the Chicago Trib reported that just 6 in 100 Chicago Public H.S. freshmen will go on to get a college degree. Also, 67% of Chicago 4th graders test below grade level in reading. The Fed spends 53 billion on public education every year. A good place to start would be to blow up the Dept. of Education. The only remaining element should be a national test, written in English, that qualifies you to move out of 4th, 8th and 12th grade.

:notworthy Dep't of education is the biggest waste of money outside of the energy and interior dept's.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
How do you think the unions will respond to the results of these audits.  My guess is they will use the reports for toilet paper.

I honestly could give less of a damn what the unions would think of it. Unions are important presences, but not because businesses have to cave to them. They are just a check against poor standards and treatment.

The unions representing many of the gov't workers are dealing in jobs that are REALLY easy to fill with someone new. We aren't talking about highly specialized skilled labor here.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Speaking of gas taxes. Guess who has made the most from high oil prices????

Gov't.... Fed  State    and  Local...  Don't hear any b****ing about this.

They have made a lot, but nothing compared to the oil company profits. Add up the profits of the big energy giants in this country alone and you get close to $100 Billion in profits. Are you telling me the state and local governments are getting that kind of money out of just gas tax?

Even if that is the case, that just bolsters the argument for spending more on alternate energy sources with the extra revenue.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
They have made a lot, but nothing compared to the oil company profits.  Add up the profits of the big energy giants in this country alone and you get close to $100 Billion in profits.  Are you telling me the state and local governments are getting that kind of money out of just gas tax?

Even if that is the case, that just bolsters the argument for spending more on alternate energy sources with the extra revenue.

Fed state and local taxes from gasoline is over 1 trillion dollars and I believe closer to 2 Trillion dollars over the same time span. I will try to find a source.

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
They have made a lot, but nothing compared to the oil company profits.  Add up the profits of the big energy giants in this country alone and you get close to $100 Billion in profits. 

Yes, that may be true - but as a percentage of "profits" they are not getting anymore then other industries. And furthermore, THEY (oil companies) DO NOT SET THE PRICES!

I'll tell you who is setting the price. That assbag from Iran. Every time he opens his mouth, oil goes up AGAIN. Saudi Arabia ain't saying anything. Iran is loving it. And the Democrats LOVE this because it gives them another talking point about how bad Bush is... even though their party is largely responsible for blocking any new refineries, etc.