RIAA music police at it again...

juddling

RIAA sues family that doesn't own a PC

The RIAA has filed a file-sharing suit against a family in Rockmart, GA. The family doesn't own a computer.

Good to see a real standard of care in place over there at RIAA sue-your-customers HQ; this is probably more profitable in the long run than suing people who do share music, since those people are statistically more likely to spend money on CDs. Focusing on shaking down people who don't own PCs will keep the music industry from alienating its diehard fans.

"I don't understand this," Walls said. "How can they sue us when we don't even have a computer?"

Walls also noted that his family has only resided at their current address "for less than a year." He wondered if a prior tenant of the home had Internet access, then moved, leaving his family to be targeted instead.

However, the RIAA's lawsuit maintains that Carma Walls, through the use of a file-sharing program, has infringed on the copyrights for the following songs: "Who Will Save Your Soul," Jewel; "Far Behind," Candlebox; "Still the Same," Bob Seger; "I Won't Forget You," Poison; "Open Arms," Journey; "Unpretty," TLC; No Scrubs," TLC; and "Saving All My Love for You," Whitney Houston.

:chair :chair :chair

Edited by juddling

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Love it.

You love the fact that these might be innocent people going through this? You studying to be a copywrite lawyer? That's the only way somebody could see something positive about what is happening to that family.

Man, I'm all for protection of the artist, but the music industry has been raping the public and it's own artists for too long. I myself look forward to the day where the industry is dead and stinking and the artist themselves are making the money by selling through their own sites only. I'm glad that 90% of the bands I listen to have no part of the major labels. I've had my stuff sold behind my back by somebody making copies of my CD's. He was charging $20 per disc. I told him to lower the price to $5, as the quality wasn't worth the $20. If the industry really cared about the artists that they are supposedly trying to protect, they would give the artist a larger share of the sale, let the artist control their material more, and they would also maybe promote more of the bands.

The girls biggest offense is a s***ty taste in music.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
You love the fact that these might be innocent people going through this? You studying to be a copywrite lawyer? That's the only way somebody could see something positive about what is happening to that family.

Man, I'm all for protection of the artist, but the music industry has been raping the public and it's own artists for too long. I myself look forward to the day where the industry is dead and stinking and the artist themselves are making the money by selling through their own sites only. I'm glad that 90% of the bands I listen to have no part of the major labels. I've had my stuff sold behind my back by somebody making copies of my CD's. He was charging $20 per disc. I told him to lower the price to $5, as the quality wasn't worth the $20. If the industry really cared about the artists that they are supposedly trying to protect, they would give the artist a larger share of the sale, let the artist control their material more, and they would also maybe promote more of the bands.

The girls biggest offense is a s***ty taste in music.

:notworthy :headbang

i've bought 25 albums in 2006...i've downloaded more now then ever in my life...i've bought about 5 times the albums now then i would have normally...none were of a major label except for matador (which is debatable)...indie record labels are loving these lawsuits...their share of the market has increased over the past 5 years

Back in the days of the Commodoor 64 computer, I must have had about 300 games,of which maybe 12 were 'purchased'. If I had to purchase any of the others, I would not have had that game, so by me having them, they didn't 'lose' money. Of the ones I did purchase, all but one I had an illegal copy first, and after deciding I liked it, I bought it.

I refuse to spend $16+ for a CD anymore. I go onto iTunes and buy the few new songs I want. And the more the RIAA f***s with people, the less I want to buy CD's. These guys are worse than the BSA.