Injury update

soxfan420

this was in today's Trib

Such an integral part of last year's championship, White Sox reliever Dustin Hermanson is gone. And almost forgotten.

What's up with Hermanson, who fought back problems the second half of last season and all spring?

"He's in an extended spring program [in Arizona], working on his back, playing catch, going through pitchers' fielding practice and that's about it," pitching coach Don Cooper said. "He hasn't been throwing off the mound, but he might in early May."

That puts him behind the Cubs' Kerry Wood and Mark Prior in rehab time, but the Sox still are hoping he will return to bolster a bullpen that has been shaky at times, although Hermanson hinted in spring that he might retire.

"We're holding out hope he'll be back," Cooper said. "But he's not in the forefront of my mind. I don't foresee him here before the All-Star break."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Hahaha, trying to take a chance.  The guy is toast.  He shoulda gone under the knife so he missed minimal time.  His fault.  He got his ring.

In hindsight it looks like you're right, but as far as we've been told, the surgery itself is very risky, to the point that if he had it, he may have wound up never pitching again, so it's not like it was an obvious decision at the time.

Maybe we'll get lucky, he'll have the surgery next offseason, make a miraculous recovery, sign a minor league deal with the Sox just to see if he can actually pitch, and wind up back in our bullpen actually healthy. (one can always hope blindly, right)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Hahaha, trying to take a chance.  The guy is toast.  He shoulda gone under the knife so he missed minimal time.  His fault.  He got his ring.

I still can't figure out why he didn't. It was all set and scheduled. The risk was no greater either way. But you're right. He got a ring, and he's getting paid for doing nothing.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
He will be lucky tp pitch at all this year and his option is not picked up DH is staying for checks at this point!

If Hermanson wanted to stay for the money this year, he would have gotten the surgery, and no one would have expected him to play this year. Instead, he tried to grind it out, and his back just didn't cooperate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
If Hermanson wanted to stay for the money this year, he would have gotten the surgery, and no one would have expected him to play this year.  Instead, he tried to grind it out, and his back just didn't cooperate.

PLZ he knew all along he was not going to make it, He told OG and KW he would be fine and too late to another guy for pen in ST and his surgery if done last year he would of been in good shape early part of season not drawing just checks for most all of 2006.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
If Hermanson wanted to stay for the money this year, he would have gotten the surgery, and no one would have expected him to play this year.  Instead, he tried to grind it out, and his back just didn't cooperate.

Thats how I see it too. A lot of people here are painting him in a negative fashion because of it. He tried to get into playing shape, he fought the pain. Unfortunetly, he couldn't overcome it.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
PLZ he knew all along he was not going to make it, He told OG and KW he would be fine and too late to another guy for pen in ST and his surgery if done last year he would of been in good shape early part of season not drawing just checks for most all of 2006.

Do you know how difficult it is for a guy to admit that he's probably going to have to get career-ending surgery? Hermanson is a tough SOB, and I honestly think that he believed he could compete at the MLB level this year with his injury. After what he did last year....he has quite the leniency with me.

does anyone know exactly whats wrong with his back? Is this something that could lead to further damage if he played or is it just regular day in day out back pain? I'm gonna say it might be his delivery of his pitches that could have caused this injury to develop maybe he needs a new approach. I don't have a clue on what needs to be done in these situations but I know that there are drugs to make the pain go away. Like Brett Favre he took a pain killer, I wouldn't condone such actions for anyone but what exactly is wrong with Dustin Hermanson.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
does anyone know exactly whats wrong with his back?  Is this something that could lead to further damage if he played or is it just regular day in day out back pain?  I'm gonna say it might be his delivery of his pitches that could have caused this injury to develop maybe he needs a new approach.

Whatever the injury is, it's preventing him from being able to reach a solid velocity and be able to throw his offspeed stuff. If you saw him in ST, his stuff was awful.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
does anyone know exactly whats wrong with his back?  Is this something that could lead to further damage if he played or is it just regular day in day out back pain?  I'm gonna say it might be his delivery of his pitches that could have caused this injury to develop maybe he needs a new approach.  I don't have a clue on what needs to be done in these situations but I know that there are drugs to make the pain go away.  Like Brett Favre he took a pain killer,  I wouldn't condone such actions for anyone but what exactly is wrong with Dustin Hermanson.

Not exactly sure what's wrong with the back, but i can tell you I watched a game down the left field line late last season, and Dustin didn't sit down once in the pen - it must be murder on him to sit. Also, from what I've heard, he felt pretty good this spring until he started throwing.