ACT Jitters

SoxFan1

Ok, I take the ACT on Wednesday and I am kind of nervous. I did fairly well on the mock exam (23-27 range score) and on the official mock, I got a 23 but if I didn't rush on the reading portion, I would have gotten a 25 or 26. But anyways, what did tou guys do before the ACT to prepare. All I know is that I am not studying AT ALL. I just want to relax and get my mind set for the grueling, 2 day/7 hour tests of the ACT and PSAE/ Any tips?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
What i would do is buy one of those books that has a bunch of the practice ACT's in them.  I think when i was preparing, those were the most helpful.

Yeah, our school supplied them for us for free. We did it a lot in class and it helps with time management and what not. But I mean, what should I do this last day and 1/2 to prepare.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
Yeah, our school supplied them for us for free. We did it a lot in class and it helps with time management and what not. But I mean, what should I do this last day and 1/2 to prepare.

Relax. Do something to take your mind off it. If you need, do a couple mock exams. Just make sure you have confidence when taking the test - and a calulator, something I forgot at home :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)

Nothing. At this point you will either know the material or you won't. Relax, get enough sleep, and eat a good breakfast on the day of the test and you will be fine.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
Relax.  Do something to take your mind off it. If you need, do a couple mock exams.  Just make sure you have confidence when taking the test - and a calulator, something I forgot at home  :P

Holy f***. I am going to need to rent a TI83 from someone!

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
as for the actual test, the biggest thing for me was doing incredibly well on the reading section.  If you just concentrate there really is no reason you can't score high on it.

Yeah, thats exactly what I did wrong on the mock. I rushed the reading exam in the beginning and ended up having that be my lowest score. I got a 20 on that, and 24/25 on all the other portions.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
Yeah, thats exactly what I did wrong on the mock. I rushed the reading exam in the beginning and ended up having that be my lowest score. I got a 20 on that, and 24/25 on all the other portions.

i think i got 24s-26s on the other 3 and got a 35 on the reading.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
:ph34r:

Oh, and Heads, I usually do good on the science part because it's all graphs and tables and s***.

Yup....the first time it surprised me cause it used all sorts of weird terminology.

I actually kind of enjoyed taking them....as has been stated....just relax. Trust yourself during the test. When I took it in 8th grade, it seemed like I was done 20 minutes before everyone else....but I did fine. Just be confident.

I really did nothing. The best advice I would give is to just don't even worry about it. Relax and you'll be fine. As far as the reading goes, you get like no time to do it but it's incredibly easy. It's not too hard to be honest, you'll be fine.

Eat a good breakfast, good night's sleep, and wake up well before your test so you are up and ready to go by the time the test rolls around...not wake up, rush to test, take it while half asleep. You could also try reading the paper in the morning or doing a crossword puzzle or something just to warm up your brain.

Edited by IlliniKrush

The only thing I remember hearing was drink orange juice or some other 100% juice drink before hand. Guess the natural sugar stimulates the brain w/o the downfall that would come with an added sugar drink.

I got a 26 if I remember correctly......I would seriously like to take it again just for fun and see what I would get after years in college.....probably like a 13...

Most importantly, hope the Sox don't go into extra innings out on the west coast again so you can get some sleep!

I agree with everybody that said, sleep, good breakfast, relax.

I don't know what the difference was between the ACT and SAT when I took them, but I did pretty well on the ACT (29) but pretty subpar on the SAT (~1200 or so). I've never figured out what I did differently on each test, so I did the smart thing and picked a school thet only needed the ACTs. :D

If I remember correctly, you narrowed your choice of schools down to a few that weren't even close to the upper echelon. In which case you have no reason to be nervous about an ACT score. Spell your name correctly and you should be alright.