The positives for 4/24 game...

AngelasDaddy0427

1) Jon Garland has his second solid start in a row. I think he can only go up from here... It was a pitchers duel and he just got beat. That and the lazy defense on that easily catchable line drive from Ichiro didn't help either...

2)Brian Anderson is coming around... It's not just the HR's... his swing looks better all around.

3) Politte and Cotts both with a solid inning of work each...

We will still get 2 of 3 out of this series... :gosox1:

Yeah, I think I was a little frustrated last night during the game, which is evident from my posts in the game thread, but I guess it was really an okay game. To lose by 1 with our backup lineup isn't that big of a deal.

I wish I wasn't so obsessed with this team, ugh.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
It's in the cards anyway--no 9 game winning streaks!

Yasny correctly pointed out that the Sox have already had a 9 game winning streak in the past year. 8 in a row in the playoffs, and the first game of the season.

If these were debated in the game threads, sorry.

1) Garland looked pretty good but it seemed the leadoff man was on every inning. I do not think he should have started the 8th, Ibanez hits him pretty good.

2) Why not walk Ichiro with first base open and the tying run on second. Especially if you are going to walk the .214 hitting Jeremy Redd later. McCarthy should get Reed out there.

I think I am just tired and looking to b****, oh well.

I'm really becoming a believer in the Ozzie philosophy of sticking with your players as long as possible. They have to believe that you believe in them and they WILL rise to the occasion more often than not. Leaving Jon in as long as he did, letting BA take his hacks in the 9th and letting B Mac try to fight his way out of it were the right decisions. We can afford one loss

It's all about the big picture.

If anything this game should show you how difficult it is to beat us. We had to trot in our sunday lineup, go into extra innings, and they had to rely on a guy with 2 hr's to tie us in the 8th. Alot of things had to be done to get us to lose a close ball game. That should show how damn good this team really is.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
If these were debated in the game threads, sorry.

1) Garland looked pretty good but it seemed the leadoff man was on every inning.  I do not think he should have started the 8th, Ibanez hits the White Sox pretty good.

2) Why not walk Ichiro with first base open and the tying run on second.  Especially if you are going to walk the .214 hitting Jeremy Redd later.  McCarthy should get Reed out there.

I think I am just  tired and looking to b****, oh well.

fixed that for you :)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 07:52 AM)
I'm really becoming a believer in the Ozzie philosophy of sticking with your players as long as possible.  They have to believe that you believe in them and they WILL rise to the occasion more often than not.  Leaving Jon in as long as he did, letting BA take his hacks in the 9th and letting B Mac try to fight his way out of it were the right decisions.  We can afford one loss

It's all about the big picture.

What about the Ozzie philosophy of throwing games away by starting all your scrubs at once?

Losing sucks but ones like this I can handle, because we battled back.

By all measures with Anderson at the plate and down 2 strikes the game's over. So it was with a muted shout that I leapt off the couch when Anderson cranked that homer and put us back in it.

As you all have pointed out, Politte and Cotts looked good, too.

And as McCarthy said in the Sun-Times today, he'd rather throw the pitch he wanted and get beat on it then throw some half-assed pitch that somebody just crushes. That's the spirit.

Let's take the next two, but yes: a loss like this is not too hard to take.

BTW yes I agree I would have pitched around Ichiro, too, with the game on the line. Just like you pitch around a slugger, I'd pitch around a sensational hitter like him. But now I'm arm-chairing...

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
What about the Ozzie philosophy of throwing games away by starting all your scrubs at once?

Scrubs? Not sure who those might be. Like maybe Geoff Blum you mean? Yep, I bet he didn't benefit from ocassional playing time and a cofidence boost at all, especially when we needed him most. If you make a guy feel like a scrub, he's gonna perform like one.

All I'm saying is we are in a position where a loss here and there is not gonna kill our season, so you HAVE to be sure every member of the team is ready to go when called upon. If you yank a starter as soon as he gets in a little bit of trouble, or leave a guy on the bench to rot or pinch hit for him in a tough situation, what do you expect him to do when he's in a situation where you HAVE to play him?

As annoying as it can be at times, the way Ozzie tends to play multiple bench players in a single game (usually to start), it's for the betterment of the team in the long run, and we have to remember this is a marathon.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Scrubs?  Not sure who those might be.  Like maybe Geoff Blum you mean?  Yep, I bet he didn't benefit from ocassional playing time and a cofidence boost at all, especially when we needed him most. If you make a guy feel like a scrub, he's gonna perform like one.

All I'm saying is we are in a position where a loss here and there is not gonna kill our season, so you HAVE to be sure every member of the team is ready to go when called upon.  If you yank a starter as soon as he gets in a little bit of trouble, or leave a guy on the bench to rot or pinch hit for him in a tough situation, what do you expect him to do when he's in a situation where you HAVE to play him?

Personally, I thought throwing out a completely different lineup was a wise decision last night, even though it didn't necessarily work. Our guys have a hell of a hard time hitting Moyer. Dye for instance, is terrible against him, enough so that AJ said on Mike North yesterday that Dye wasn't playing by request.

Either way, as much as people criticized Ozzie's use of the Sunday lineup last year, I think it eventually paid off. And with the strong bench we have, we can afford putting Cintron, Mack and Ozuna in there all at once.

I dont feel that there are any "scrubs" on the Sox bench this year. its been said so many times on this site, the White Sox bench could start for most other teams. The only real problem area I see on the team is the bullpen, and now they are starting to get their act together too.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks Uribe could have stopped that ball from going into the outfield?  I think he could have dove for it, and kept the runner at 3rd.

I like to b**** so I will run with this. Uribe did a few things badly yesterday. Not sure if I am being overly critical but he swung at some horrendous pitches. The ball that Ichiro hit was perfectly placed. Both the tying and winning runs were 12 hoppers/rollers with nobody in site.

I was fine, almost happy with the lineup as Moyer has made us look sad before. They got some nice hacks off Putz for once and hit Guardado.

I think Tad may get the day off for Cintron today.

If I wasn't up until 12:15 I wouldn't have cared.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
I like to b**** so I will run with this.  Uribe did a few things badly yesterday.  Not sure if I am being overly critical but he swung at some horrendous pitches.  The ball that Ichiro hit was perfectly placed.  Both the tying and winning runs were 12 hoppers/rollers with nobody in site.

I was fine, almost happy with the lineup as Moyer has made us look sad before.  They got some nice hacks off Putz for once and hit Guardado.

I think Tad may get the day off for Cintron today. 

If I wasn't up until 12:15 I wouldn't have cared.

Im not going to limit the bad swing complaint to Uribe. Truth be told, Jaime Moyer specializes in getting batters to take horrible swings at his pitches, its how he survives and thrives. Thome took some odd looking hacks himself

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks Uribe could have stopped that ball from going into the outfield?  I think he could have dove for it, and kept the runner at 3rd.

Watch the replay

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=sea

Uribe came a long way, he was holding the runner close to 2nd, and he just couldnt get there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I want to reiterrate how awesome BA's homerun was last night.  I know I wasnt the only one who jumped up and cheered.

I was jumping up and down not just because it saved the game for the time being but also for what it will mean in the future. Hopefully with those last 2 homeruns by BA he will get a lot of his confidence back and he will thrive like he did in the second half of spring training.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I want to reiterrate how awesome BA's homerun was last night.  I know I wasnt the only one who jumped up and cheered.

I woke my Dad up because I started cheering. He woke up and was like "WHO HIT THE HOMERUN? Really?" lol

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Watch the replay

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=sea

Uribe came a long way, he was holding the runner close to 2nd, and he just couldnt get there.

The game is on the line you do whatever possable to stop that ball from going to the outfield. He ran all that way, and he just lets the ball go past him? I bet Cintron, or even Ozzie would have dove for that. If he would have slid or dove the ball would not have gone to the outfield, and who knows what would have happend after that, but you atleast have to show some effort.

"Win or Die trying", Uribe didnt DIE trying tonight.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
I woke my Dad up because I started cheering.  He woke up and was like "WHO HIT THE HOMERUN?  Really?"  lol

Hahaha, I was alone but im sure someone on Madison heard me screaming. I somehow knew something good was coming out of that at-bat. Otherwise I would have shut it off pissed like usual.