The positives for 4/24 game...

AngelasDaddy0427

Uribe had no chance to stop the game-winning hit. It was placed perfectly in the hole and soft enough for Pods to have no chance to throw out Bloomquist (it was a good throw by Pods). The biggest defensive play of the game was when Uribe was unable to field Bettancourt's hard single in the 7th. It was a tough play, but a play that good defensive players typically make. If he stops that grounder, it's a whole different ball game. However, our left side of the infield has been sensational on defense this year, so you can't blame them.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
"Win or Die trying", Uribe didnt DIE trying tonight.

I can't blame Uribe on the loss.

I think it was one of Ozzie's worst managed games this year. From the lineup choice to his handling of pitchers. The offense was very non-clutch as well for the most part.

I also think that Thome should get a day off, likely on Wednesday vs the lefty. His timing has been just a bit off the last few games, and it would be good to have him fresh going into the tough Angels series with Garcia and Garland pitching two of those games.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
What about the Ozzie philosophy of throwing games away by starting all your scrubs at once?

As opposed to the Dusty Baker philosophy of over-playing one's starters? :bang

Last night was a good time to rest the starters. We were riding an 8-game winning streak and never hit Moyer well anyway.

I turned the game off after the 4th, partially because the Mariners' announcers are so freaking bad. Those guys make DJ and Singleton look like Vin Scully and Howard Cosell.

i was really happy to see this thread this morning.... i turned off the game when it ended... saying "oh well..." i wasnt terribly dissapointed and it didnt keep me up last night....

i did see a lot of positives and its only 1 loss.... we played well and will continue to play better

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Last night was a good time to rest the starters.  We were riding an 8-game winning streak and never hit Moyer well anyway.
Actually he's 6-9 vs. the Sox career, with an only-slightly-above-average ERA of 4.21. Hardly Sox-pwnage.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Actually he's 6-9 vs. the Sox career, with an only-slightly-above-average ERA of 4.21.  Hardly Sox-pwnage.

Look at his last 4 years vs the sox though, with the exception of 2004, he has held the Sox in check pretty well

2005 numbers

1-1 record, 3.07 ERA  .189 BAA 15.2 IP  10 hits  9 Ks

2004 numbers

0-2 record, 4.95 ERA .216 BAA  20 IP  16 hits 17 Ks

2003 numbers

1-0 record 2.57 ERA  .091 BAA  7 IP 2 hits 3 Ks

2002 numbers

0-0 record 1.50 ERA  .182 BAA  6 IP 4 hits, 5 Ks

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Look at his last 4 years vs the sox though, with the exception of 2004, he has held the Sox in check pretty well

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Sorry I wasn't more explicit.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
I can't blame Uribe on the loss.

I think it was one of Ozzie's worst managed games this year.  From the lineup choice to his handling of pitchers.  The offense was very non-clutch as well for the most part.

I will grant Ozzie 1 mistake last night. If you're riding with 3 lefties in your bullpen and a lefty is leading off the 8th inning in a tie game...you better put a damn lefty in.

Other than that...I still can't complain about Ozzie running out a junky lineup. The Mariners are not going to be challenging us for a playoff spot or home field come September. Teams like the Twins or Angels might be. If we need to rest people and wind up losing a game, I'd rather lose 1 against the M's than lose it against someone who really might give us a run for our money. And it's going to be a hell of a lot easier for our backups to come out with a win against the Mariners than against some of the other teams in the league.

the White Sox bench could start for most other teams.

Maybe if those teams were crazy. Sorry, but Widger, Ozuna, Mackowiak, and Gload are not starting caliber players. Mackowiak maybe--on the Royals/Marlins.

I don't like Ozzie's sitting of so many guys at one time. There is no reason for it, even against Seattle.

Cotts and Politte pitching in big situations and pitching well is what I took most from this game. It's just a matter of time imo until Neal gets it turned around but it might take a little while because of the fact he won't get too many innings. I'm hoping we can get the Cliff from 04, nothing special but just a solid reliever. If we can get these two turned around then look out.

Since I usually dwell on the negative I also have to mention that seeing corpseball return was maddening. After about the 6th inning, seemed like most of our batters were swinging for the fences. Would have been nice to use the large park to our advantage and try to slap a few singles and gappers around.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Maybe if those teams were crazy.  Sorry, but Widger, Ozuna, Mackowiak, and Gload are not starting caliber players.  Mackowiak maybe--on the Royals/Marlins.

I don't like Ozzie's sitting of so many guys at one time.  There is no reason for it, even against Seattle.

Reasons for 'it':

1. First nondivisional opponant in quite a while. Perfect opportunty to rest veterans without losing a division game.

2. Sunday game - flight to the west coast - Monday game. Throw jet lag in there as well.

Those are reasons other than the previously mentioned ones about it being a marathon, keeps regulars fresh, keeps reserves sharp. You know, those thing that are pointed out every time someone b****es about Ozzie not using the starting 9 every game. You know, those same things he did last year that played such an important role in the club's success.