XM radio

aboz56

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
My friend, a Sirius subscriber, said something very radio industry like the other day. "Howard isn't cut out for satellite radio."

I did a double take and then he said something that makes sense. On regular radio, he's the granddaddy of shock jocks and challenging convention in every sense.

In the world of satellite, everyone swears and everyone talks about naked chicks - and he's just another one of them.

The difference is the built in fan base he's bringing with, and their total committment to the man, the legend, the greatest radio entertainer of all time, the savor of the radio format, the God of the airwaves, etc. I've met very few casual Stern fans, most can't wait for the crusade, and defend their man to the end.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Another question out there I'd like to ask:

What's everyone's favorite XM channel?

You mean after White Sox baseball for us out of towners? :P

121, 166, all of 210-230

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Yeah, well - he's got a million or two of those. The rest of the 20 million a week that he had have gone elsewhere.

In other news Opie and Anthony's XM show is now being simulcast in Howard's old NYC spot.

If Howard brought over about 2 million people, which is probably about the number, at this point, at 13.99 a month, that would be $28 million a month. His contract, to run both his channels, costs $10 million a month. So they are making $18 million a month off of him. Not bad.

And people talk about being disgusted by Stern, and not owning a service he is on, but O & A got kicked off the air because they had a couple f*** in St. Pat's cathedral. And they are on XM so both services offer the shock jock genre. And they only got 50,000 people to sign up for them (admitted by the hosts). Makes Stern look pretty successful.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
If Howard brought over about 2 million people, which is probably about the number, at this point, at 13.99 a month, that would be $28 million a month.  His contract, to run both his channels, costs $10 million a month.  So they are making $18 million a month off of him.  Not bad.

And people talk about being disgusted by Stern, and not owning a service he is on, but O & A got kicked off the air because they had a couple f*** in St. Pat's cathedral.  And they are on XM so both services offer the shock jock genre.  And they only got 50,000 people to sign up for them (admitted by the hosts).  Makes Stern look pretty successful.

So you are saying that for shock value, Opie and Anthony are better? ;)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
So you are saying that for shock value, Opie and Anthony are better?  ;)

I'd say they are plain stupid with the stuff they do. And disgraceful. I don't go to church, but I certainly wouldn't desecrate something people consider sacred.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
I'd say they are plain stupid with the stuff they do.  And disgraceful.  I don't go to church, but I certainly wouldn't desecrate something people consider sacred.

LOL, Howard is such a saint too, right?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
LOL, Howard is such a saint too, right?

Talking about shocking topics or doing crazy stuff in the studio, is not the same as committing crimes. He has never done anything that could get him arrested. These two guys were desperate to be famous, and that stunt got them right off the radio.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
o & a can't hold Stern's jock. As for XM, I'm sure its a nice product. But by end of year 2006, Sirius will have more subscibers.

This is going to be a Beta vs VHS type of matchup.

Hahahahahahahaahha

I hope you are kidding with both points.

They are the same service, even Stern and whatever dumbasses they trot on the radio wont cause either service to lose that many customers. Its all about coke and pepsi. With every Tony (stern fanatic) there are 10 who havent ever listened to him. His presence honestly makes no difference to me at all. I got xm for the sports, and thats it.

BTW, beta and VHS are two different technologies, not exactly comparable. While Xm is trading at 22, Sirius is at 4.83. I would say that XM has the better holding power at the moment.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
With every Tony (stern fanatic) there are 10 who havent ever listened to him.

Stern fans are a fanatical bunch...anyone who can make me laugh for 4 hours a day gets my support. Kind of like the Sox. I'm fanatical about them too.

at this point last year, XM had 6 million subscribers. Sirius had less than 1 million. Right now, XM has approx 6 million subscribers. Sirius now has over 4 million.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Sirius had MLB on it. But after trying both, Sirius is definitely a better service for now.

As for stock, check this out

XM

UPGRADES & DOWNGRADES HISTORY

Date Research Firm Action From To

31-Mar-06 Ladenburg Thalmann Initiated Hold

21-Feb-06 Janco Partners Upgrade Accumulate Buy

17-Feb-06 Sanders Morris Harris Downgrade Buy Hold

17-Feb-06 Caris & Company Downgrade Above Average Average

9-Feb-06 Stifel Nicolaus Upgrade Hold Buy

31-Jan-06 Piper Jaffray Initiated Outperform

24-Jan-06 Janco Partners Initiated Accumulate

9-Jan-06 Deutsche Securities Upgrade Hold Buy

21-Dec-05 Stanford Research Initiated Buy

20-Dec-05 Caris & Company Initiated Above Average

Sirius

31-Mar-06 Ladenburg Thalmann Initiated Buy

27-Mar-06 JP Morgan Upgrade Underweight Neutral

9-Mar-06 Deutsche Securities Upgrade Hold Buy

7-Mar-06 Banc of America Sec Upgrade Sell Neutral

1-Mar-06 Janco Partners Upgrade Accumulate Buy

8-Feb-06 Bernstein Upgrade Mkt Perform Outperform

31-Jan-06 Piper Jaffray Initiated Market Perform

13-Jan-06 Stifel Nicolaus Upgrade Hold Buy

13-Jan-06 Caris & Company Upgrade Above Average Buy

21-Dec-05 Stanford Research Initiated Buy

if you are looking to make $ in the market, I'd stay away from XM. "That dog's got fleas!"

:gosox4:

Just so you get your facts right, XM is at 6.5 million and should easily surpass 7 million by the end of the year.

Yes, the stock is overvalued and maybe Sirius is undervalued at this point. Then again, this thread wasn't started with the intention of debating which service was better or which stock was better to buy.

wow, this is great growth across the board. XM should have a yrly growth of 16.6% and Sirius (who should pass 5 mil) 150%.

As for saving money, congrats to anyone who can save money at XM by threatening to leave. It will provide some extra $ for this summer's gas prices.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)

31-Mar-06 Ladenburg Thalmann Initiated  Hold

21-Feb-06 Janco Partners Upgrade Accumulate Buy

17-Feb-06 Sanders Morris Harris Downgrade Buy Hold

17-Feb-06 Caris & Company Downgrade Above Average Average

9-Feb-06 Stifel Nicolaus Upgrade Hold Buy

31-Jan-06 Piper Jaffray Initiated  Outperform

24-Jan-06 Janco Partners Initiated  Accumulate

9-Jan-06 Deutsche Securities Upgrade Hold Buy

21-Dec-05 Stanford Research Initiated  Buy

20-Dec-05 Caris & Company Initiated  Above Average

Sirius

31-Mar-06 Ladenburg Thalmann Initiated  Buy

27-Mar-06 JP Morgan Upgrade Underweight Neutral

9-Mar-06 Deutsche Securities Upgrade Hold Buy

7-Mar-06 Banc of America Sec Upgrade Sell Neutral

1-Mar-06 Janco Partners Upgrade Accumulate Buy

8-Feb-06 Bernstein Upgrade Mkt Perform Outperform

31-Jan-06 Piper Jaffray Initiated  Market Perform

13-Jan-06 Stifel Nicolaus Upgrade Hold Buy

13-Jan-06 Caris & Company Upgrade Above Average Buy

21-Dec-05 Stanford Research Initiated  Buy

if you are looking to make $ in the market, I'd stay away from XM. "That dog's got fleas!"

:gosox4:

I feel like you dont know what I was talking about, and decided to try and make a point with someone else's opinion on how to make money. Of course a lower stock will make you more money, it will usually change and double faster. I have owned Sirius stock for a long time now.

Heres an example of what I meant, which should be easy to figure out:

Pepsi: trading at 57.86

John's Pop: 3.2

which company would you say is more stable at the moment?

IM glad you abandoned the beta vs VHS argument, i'll give you a pass on that one.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
I feel like you dont know what I was talking about, and decided to try and make a point with someone else's opinion on how to make money.  Of course a lower stock will make you more money, it will usually change and double faster.  I have owned Sirius stock for a long time now. 

Heres an example of what I meant, which should be easy to figure out:

Pepsi: trading at 57.86

John's Pop: 3.2

which company would you say is more stable at the moment?

IM glad you abandoned the beta vs VHS argument, i'll give you a pass on that one.

John's Pop is good. Give it a chance.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
we were looking at the vhs vs beta arguement from 2 different angles. you saw two different technologies. I saw someone who started strong but then fizzled once legitimate competition got up to speed.

We're both right!

Not really. BETA was an inferior technology with inferior product support. VHS was adopted by everyone, while only one brand was offering BETA. Its the same as laser disks.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
and let me add, that i don't think that both xm and sirius will be able to survive. i eventually think that sirius will buy xm, or a 3rd party will eventually own both.

Kinda like coke and pepsi, miller and bud, chevy and ford, sprint and verizon, right?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Not really.  BETA was an inferior technology with inferior product support.  VHS was adopted by everyone, while only one brand was offering BETA.  Its the same as laser disks.

Actually BETA was a superior technology. So much so that variants of BETA were used by professional media until digital video became standard in the last five years.

Betamax offered a longer record time (3 hours to 2 hours for VHS) and better picture resolution and quality on a standard blank tape. However, Sony refused to license out the technology hoping to keep and create a standard. Unfortunately for Sony, it only would have worked had Toshiba or JVC (which ever one invented the VHS format) done the same.

yeah beta was actually higher quality. higher costs if i remember too. that was part of their problem. vhs undercut them in pricing.

eventually, i'm sure that there will be many different brands to choose from for satelitte radio. in the short term, im not sure if the demand and fixed costs are just right to allow for more than one successful player in the market.

saw this online today...could be some problems.....

NEW YORK (Reuters) - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.(XMSR.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Thursday said federal regulators have launched a probe into its marketing activities, including areas such as billing and rebates.

XM said it received on April 25 a letter from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission stating that they looking into whether XM's activities are in compliance with various laws, including the Telemarketing Sales Rule and the Truth in Lending Act.

XM also said the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has said that XM's Delphi XM SKYFi2 radio has a transmitter is not in compliance with the applicable emission limits.

XM said it is conducting an internal review of these matters.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
yeah beta was actually higher quality. higher costs if i remember too. that was part of their problem. vhs undercut them in pricing.

eventually, i'm sure that there will be many different brands to choose from for satelitte radio. in the short term, im not sure if the demand and fixed costs are just right to allow for more than one successful player in the market.

Probably not, actually because the FCC only granted two satellite radio licenses and you need to have one to operate a satellite radio operation. Also the bandwidth is great enough that you need to launch your own satellite - so we're talking about a billion in start up costs - assuming your satellite doesn't go up in smoke on the launching pad like one of the XM sats did.