Chicago Cubs and Sox Fan

SouthSidePride05

My sister's family just moved to the Chicagoland area, and they had been living in North Dakota for the past 10 years. My brother in law was happy to move back to Chicago because he's a big sports fan, but what bothers me the most is he thinks it's ok to be both a Cubs and Sox fan. He thinks everyone in Chicago follows both teams and just jumps on the bandwagon of the team that's playing better.

I went over to their house recently for my nephew's birthday and the kid was wearing a Cubs hat. :angry: Then later that week my bro in law took me to a Sox game, and he had nothing nice to say about the experience. It pissed me off because he was ripping on everything from "This is a shame, this place should be full on a half price night" to "So many people here are way too drunk, this is ridiculous". On the drive home, we passed a beat up car full of high school students who were mostly hammered and making a scene, and he said "I guarantee those losers were at the game". Overall, he had a bad experience and even commented something about there's nothing like historic Wrigley. He also thought it was "retarded" that the crowd booed Cub fans dressed in Cub gear. He just doesn't get it. He follows both teams and flips between the 2 when they're on tv at the same time.

Should I give up? Or is there a way I can convince him to pick 1 team. He keeps forgetting that I hate the Cubs and thinks I follow them too; I'm just a Sox fan because they're the World Champs. The whole family's driving me crazy.. and to think I have to babysit again tonight! :o

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
My sister's family just moved to the Chicagoland area, and they had been living in North Dakota for the past 10 years.  My brother in law was happy to move back to Chicago because he's a big sports fan, but what bothers me the most is he thinks it's ok to be both a Cubs and Sox fan.  He thinks everyone in Chicago follows both teams and just jumps on the bandwagon of the team that's playing better. 

I went over to their house recently for my nephew's birthday and the kid was wearing a Cubs hat.  :angry:  Then later that week my bro in law took me to a Sox game, and he had nothing nice to say about the experience.  It pissed me off because he was ripping on everything from "This is a shame, this place should be full on a half price night" to "So many people here are way too drunk, this is ridiculous".  On the drive home, we passed a beat up car full of high school students who were mostly hammered and making a scene, and he said "I guarantee those losers were at the game".  Overall, he had a bad experience and even commented something about there's nothing like historic Wrigley.  He also thought it was "retarded" that the crowd booed Cub fans dressed in Cub gear.  He just doesn't get it.  He follows both teams and flips between the 2 when they're on tv at the same time. 

Should I give up?  Or is there a way I can convince him to pick 1 team.  He keeps forgetting that I hate the Cubs and thinks I follow them too; I'm just a Sox fan because they're the World Champs.  The whole family's driving me crazy.. and to think I have to babysit again tonight!  :o

It just sounds to me like he is a Cubs fan. Let him wallow in his own misery.

You just have to know how to pick your spots with him. You cant rip on him, because after all he DID take you to a game. Ignore him, and if he starts getting worse, start throwing stats at him and see how he responds. True bandwagoners hate when you start asking about lineups and specific players and such, mostly because they have no idea.

You have to keep in mind, he IS from North Dakota ;)

Im enjoying watching Cubs fans figure out(albeit slowly) that Jacque Jones is good only when the game on the line, and other than that he is bad-awful-horrible. He is totally making matters worse too, its pretty funny. What can you expect though, he came from a place that could never sell out to a place that always sells out. More people=more criticism, if he cant take it he shouldnt have signed the contract

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Send them back to North Dakota!

HELL NO

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
You have to keep in mind, he IS from North Dakota  ;)

Ouchies, my ego

Actually, come August, send them back...hell, send every Cubs fan to NoDak for all I care. I'll be a South Dakotan again next year...wo0t.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
HELL NO

Ouchies, my ego

Actually, come August, send them back...hell, send every Cubs fan to NoDak for all I care.  I'll be a South Dakotan again next year...wo0t.

your heart resides on the southside, its all good :D :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
I watch both games when they are on.  What is wrong with that?

Did you catch last night's game? I got so annoyed after Jones HRd. The fans were acting as if they had just won the World Series, hugging each other and going crazy. They beat the AAA Marlins....yippee.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Did you catch last night's game?  I got so annoyed after Jones HRd.  The fans were acting as if they had just won the World Series, hugging each other and going crazy.  They beat the AAA Marlins....yippee.

Yeah, but it was an exciting ending. The LA Dodgers werent a juggernaut when they faced the Sox last year, and AJs walkoff homerun reaction shook the camera's in their mounts. A win is a win, Cubs fans can get excited too.

Ok I hope I can express this in writing,

But I look at this way, if you root for both teams, its like being bisexual, you just want to get laid and you don’t care witch teams it is.

I have more respect for a gay guy IE cub fan, than a Bi guy, IE likes both teams. you cant truest the Bi guy.

;)

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Ok I hope I can express this in writing,

But I look at this way, if you root for both teams, its like being bisexual, you just want to get laid and you don’t care witch teams it is.

I have more respect for a gay guy IE cub fan, than a Bi guy, IE likes both teams. you cant truest the Bi guy.

;)

thats just lame

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Perhaps, but it fits to a "T" a suspected bi guy I know.  :lolhitting

The " you just want to get laid and you don’t care witch teams it is." part is funny and true.

The "Can't trust the Bi-guy" part is lame. Sexuality has nothing to do with trust.(/steps out of filibuster-ness)

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Nothing at all...as long as you are cheering for whoever is playing the Cubs that night.

I cheer for whoever they play obviously, but I just enjoy watching baseball. My mlb package on cable is awesome for late night west coast games. I love it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
I cheer for whoever they play obviously, but I just enjoy watching baseball.  My mlb package on cable is awesome for late night west coast games.  I love it.

I'm sure this makes me a bad fan, but if the Sox lose on a particular day, the frustration is definitely lessened if the Cubs lose also that day (unless they're already eliminated from playoff contention). I know a lot of people say that Sox fans shouldn't care about the Cubs now that we've won it all. While I agree with this to an extent, I also know that I would really hate to have to deal with the pomp and circumstance if the Cubs won the World Series. That would be a big blow to the momentum we've gained.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
I'm sure this makes me a bad fan, but if the Sox lose on a particular day, the frustration is definitely lessened if the Cubs lose also that day (unless they're already eliminated from playoff contention).  I know a lot of people say that Sox fans shouldn't care about the Cubs now that we've won it all.  While I agree with this to an extent, I also know that I would really hate to have to deal with the pomp and circumstance if the Cubs won the World Series.  That would be a big blow to the momentum we've gained.

I think the exact same way.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
My sister's family just moved to the Chicagoland area, and they had been living in North Dakota for the past 10 years.  My brother in law was happy to move back to Chicago because he's a big sports fan, but what bothers me the most is he thinks it's ok to be both a Cubs and Sox fan.  He thinks everyone in Chicago follows both teams and just jumps on the bandwagon of the team that's playing better. 

I went over to their house recently for my nephew's birthday and the kid was wearing a Cubs hat.  :angry:  Then later that week my bro in law took me to a Sox game, and he had nothing nice to say about the experience.  It pissed me off because he was ripping on everything from "This is a shame, this place should be full on a half price night" to "So many people here are way too drunk, this is ridiculous".  On the drive home, we passed a beat up car full of high school students who were mostly hammered and making a scene, and he said "I guarantee those losers were at the game".  Overall, he had a bad experience and even commented something about there's nothing like historic Wrigley.  He also thought it was "retarded" that the crowd booed Cub fans dressed in Cub gear.  He just doesn't get it.  He follows both teams and flips between the 2 when they're on tv at the same time. 

Should I give up?  Or is there a way I can convince him to pick 1 team.  He keeps forgetting that I hate the Cubs and thinks I follow them too; I'm just a Sox fan because they're the World Champs.  The whole family's driving me crazy.. and to think I have to babysit again tonight!  :o

anyone who goes to a sox game and spends the whole time talking about attendance, who's drinking what, and anything other than the game is not a sox fan.