Chicago Cubs and Sox Fan

SouthSidePride05

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm sure this makes me a bad fan, but if the Sox lose on a particular day, the frustration is definitely lessened if the Cubs lose also that day (unless they're already eliminated from playoff contention).  I know a lot of people say that Sox fans shouldn't care about the Cubs now that we've won it all.  While I agree with this to an extent, I also know that I would really hate to have to deal with the pomp and circumstance if the Cubs won the World Series.  That would be a big blow to the momentum we've gained.

I've gotta say this is the type of thing that when you say it you get the "we won the world series who cares what the Cubs do" response. But I feel the exact same way Fathom and it really doesn't matter how many times I hear "I find it sad that some Sox fans even care about the Cubs" I'll probably always hate the Cubs and I'll be happy when they lose.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The person in question is clearly a Cubs fan who wants to leave his bandwagon jumping options open in October should the Sox be there again and the Cubs be where they always are: on the golf course.

If his bi-Soxual tendencies are setting off your radar, they should.

I can tell you right now as we speak he is probably wearing pink Cubs underoos.

So let's quit pretending he's anything but what he really is: a Cubs fan.

:chair

I'm sure I'll get shot for saying it, but I support both teams. I'm much more of a Sox fan, and am pretty indifferent to the Cubs, but if they are playing anyone other than the Sox, I'll root for them. Chicago is Chicago, so I'll support the cities teams before supporting a team from elsewhere.

Its probably a much different situation for me though since I don't live in the city.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Its probably a much different situation for me though since I don't live in the city.

This is the key, it's nearly impossible to be a true fan of both teams if you live anywhere near the city, there's just too many fans of the respective teams around you, you have to choose sides.

I'm sure if I grew up outside of the state in another area, perhaps New Jersey I would not dislike the Cubs as much as I do.

the cubs don't bother me too much, when they lose its ok, when they win its ok. i really don't care. its the cub fans that i can't deal with. but i am sure most cub fans feel the same way. best chirstmas present ever is giving your whole extended family dvds of the world series dvd. one just got up and left the party all angry. now that was funny.

oh and your brother-in-law is right in some respects and others is not. the stadium should be pretty damn close to full on half price night when the team is as good as it is now. drunk annoying people suck ass, but drunk happy people rule. but the only time to b**** about those things is after the game not before or during.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
This is the key, it's nearly impossible to be a true fan of both teams if you live anywhere near the city, there's just too many fans of the respective teams around you, you have to choose sides.

I sort of see the same thing with the Yankees/Mets, since the majority of people here are fans of both those teams. Even those fans however don't seem to hate each other. Its strange, back when the Mets sucked, every Yankee fan I know hated them. But now that the Mets are getting big names on their team (I think getting Pedro started it all, strangely enough), more and more of the Yankee fans I know are claiming that they like the Mets too (even though previously stating their hate for them). After they do that, they've basically lost talking privileges to me about baseball..

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I sort of see the same thing with the Yankees/Mets, since the majority of people here are fans of both those teams.  Even those fans however don't seem to hate each other.  Its strange, back when the Mets sucked, every Yankee fan I know hated them.  But now that the Mets are getting big names on their team (I think getting Pedro started it all, strangely enough), more and more of the Yankee fans I know are claiming that they like the Mets too (even though previously stating their hate for them).  After they do that, they've basically lost talking privileges to me about baseball..

I was just at a Mets game last week, there is pretty obvious Yankee hatred there. They even showed highlights when the yankees were losing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I was just at a Mets game last week, there is pretty obvious Yankee hatred there.  They even showed highlights when the yankees were losing.

I think that Met fans still hate the Yankees, but from my experience, Yankee fans aren't really hating the Mets as much as they have in the past.

I think it is great that we can have both a team to love and hate right here in our back yard. It makes the beer taste better when you can trade barbs up and down the bar with a rival. A lot of other cities have to go to another state to get what we have right here. Just keep it good natured, be informed and laugh about it as much as possible. Cubs fans are people too. Losers but people.

I enjoy making fun of the dumb things the Cubs do, and I LOVE giving the Cub fans in my life some good-natured taunting ( a certain trophy makes this MUCH easier than it had been before :D ), but I don't hate the Cubs or even MOST of their fans.

I THOUGHT I hated their fans until I noticed that a lot of ANY team's fans do the same annoying s*** that the stereotypical "Cubbie fans" do. SOME White Sox fans do the exact same s***......GASP!!!!

Talking incessantly on cellphones, waving at the camera like a f***head WHILE talking to some equally retarded friend/family member at home ("THEY'RE SHOWING YOU NOW!!! AND NOW!!!! AND NOW!!!!" ), cussing like maniacs around little kids and then getting angry at the kids' parents for asking them to tone it down, fighting in the bleachers, hitting on or verbally taunting women, getting blind-drunk and ignoring the game - I've seen ALL of that s*** on a regular basis at USCF, and NOT just this season. It happens everywhere, at any sporting event of any team in any sport.....because some people are simply s***heads.

My wife is a Cub fan, my best friend/favorite cousin is a Cub fan, and some of the most knowledgable baseball fans I know are Cub fans. They do not exhibit the f***headed behavior listed above. They just enjoy baseball and choose to cheer for the Cubs ( or were born into Cub-fan families ).

It's just entertainment when you really think about it. I don't really care who cheers for whom....of course, I like the Packers AND the Red Wings, so OF COURSE I'd feel this way, right?

:D

having grown up on the south side, i've been well-versed in the sox-cubs debate since pretty much i can remember.

in 1984 i actually rooted for the cubs, although that was probably for the same reason i was a bon jovi fan for a time. i was young, had bad taste and just didn't know any better.

after the cubs choked in 84 i pretty much swore off that s***. for a long, long time i was a big-time cub hater. it seemed at every juncture of my life there were cub fans around raving about gary scott, kevin orie, etc. etc. that s*** was irritating as f***.

these days, i'm more indifferent. i've met and know a lot of cub fans who know their baseball, guys who i respect and know play against the cub fan stereotype. but, i will never root for them. ever. and i'm comfortable with that.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Is that an upgrade? :huh:  :P

Haha. Of course it is. Must be the weather

All joking aside, it really is...atleast for me. Growing up in South Dakota, I could actually go into regular bars with my parents...I remember I would hang out at the bowling alley watching my dad as an 11-12 year old and then going into the bar after he was done, eating some popcorn, and watching some baseball. Hell, my friends and I ate in sports bars by ourselves.

I move up here and find out I can't eat in a sports bar with my parent because you can't be in a bar if you're under 21 no matter what? Uhh...ok.

Pretty big change, and I've never really grown accustomed to it.

That, and I'll be so much closer to Chicago...only like 500 miles away :P

What gives anybody the 'authority' to decide who is or isn't a fan? People can enjoy the game of baseball in any way they see fit. Someone can be a die hard Soxfan and still mildly pull for the Cubs, Cardinals or whoever. I think this concept of making rules about or defining what is being a fan is garbage. Fans achieve there own level of fandom based on their interest level, and thousands of other factors that are unique to any particular person, like time availabilty (to actively follow the team), location, financial matters, etc. But to criticize someone because they are a different type of fan as you, or to call them a non-fan, is ridiculous. In fact, it's snobbish.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
I sort of see the same thing with the Yankees/Mets, since the majority of people here are fans of both those teams.  Even those fans however don't seem to hate each other.  Its strange, back when the Mets sucked, every Yankee fan I know hated them.  But now that the Mets are getting big names on their team (I think getting Pedro started it all, strangely enough), more and more of the Yankee fans I know are claiming that they like the Mets too (even though previously stating their hate for them).  After they do that, they've basically lost talking privileges to me about baseball..

One big difference is the Sox and Cubs have about 5 generations of rivalry to fall back on with them having both been original league teams. The Mets didn't show up on the scene until the 60's (1964 I believe) and it is hard to build the same kind of rivalry. You can bet that if the Dodgers or Giants still were in NY those rivalries would be as intense and spiteful as the Sox/Cubs. Realize that Chicago is the only place that has had the same two baseball teams for all 105 years of MLBs official exsistance, no one else can say that... not even close.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
he's a big sports fan, but what bothers me the most is he thinks it's ok to be both a Cubs and Sox fan. 

Quite frankly, I think it is as well. Crucify me if you want, I don't care. No, I'm not really a Cubs fan, but I don't mind watching a game once ina while becuase they are a Chicago team. The way I see it, I don't need to be an idiotic troll like most fans (notice I didn't say "Cubs fans").

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
What gives anybody the 'authority' to decide who is or isn't a fan?  People can enjoy the game of baseball in any way they see fit.  Someone can be a die hard Soxfan and still mildly pull for the Cubs, Cardinals or whoever.  I think this concept of making rules about or defining what is being a fan is garbage.  Fans achieve there own level of fandom based on their interest level, and thousands of other factors that are unique to any particular person, like time availabilty (to actively follow the team), location, financial matters, etc.  But to criticize someone because they are a different type of fan as you, or to call them a non-fan, is ridiculous.  In fact, it's snobbish.

The term "fan" is derived from the term fanatic (click on the word to see its definition). Notice the definition specifically says a cause, not several causes, some of which can be against one another. How, therefore, can one be a "fan" (as defined above) of two teams who, in general, dislike each other and don't want to see the other succeed? Sounds like the exact opposite of a "fan" to me.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
The term "fan" is derived from the term fanatic (click on the word to see its definition). Notice the definition specifically says a cause, not several causes, some of which can be against one another. How, therefore, can one be a "fan" (as defined above) of two teams who, in general, dislike each other and don't want to see the other succeed? Sounds like the exact opposite of a "fan" to me.

I'm pretty sure the teams themselves don't dislike each other. Ozzie might have some problems with the Cubs, but only due to being sick of the "rivalry" that we people created. But I bet Dye doesn't carry any baggage against the Cubs.

Also, why can't somebody be a "fanatic" of the city, and pull to see the city do well against its rival, like New York, the city? People are always comparing one city to another, so therefore it actually makes more sense to pull for BOTH Chicago teams when they go up against any team. To prove that CHICAGO has the best of everything, including sports.

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
the cubs don't bother me too much, when they lose its ok, when they win its ok.  i really don't care.  its the cub fans that i can't deal with.  but i am sure most cub fans feel the same way.  best chirstmas present ever is giving your whole extended family dvds of the world series dvd.  one just got up and left the party all angry.  now that was funny.

oh and your brother-in-law is right in some respects and others is not.  the stadium should be pretty damn close to full on half price night when the team is as good as it is now.  drunk annoying people suck ass, but drunk happy people rule.  but the only time to b**** about those things is after the game not before or during.

The cubs don't bother me too much either. In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all if wrigley field fell on top of itself brick by brick this exact second.