Visa / Mastercard w/o bank account

Texsox

I want to give my daughter a "pre-loaded" Visa/MC she can use for on-line purchases, debits in stores etc. I also want her to be able to add money herself. My bank insists that it be a transfer from my account. I am trying to teach some self reliance here, does anyone know of a "gift card" type thing that doesn't require a bank account?

Don't some banks still offer secured credit cards with spending limits set at the level which you deposit? You can put whatever amount in you want. It would not be tied to an existing bank account, but simply become an account of its own.

If I understood you correctly, this is different than what you were describing. Would this give you what you are looking for??

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Don't some banks still offer secured credit cards with spending limits set at the level which you deposit?  You can put whatever amount in you want.  It would not be tied to an existing bank account, but simply become an account of its own. 

If I understood you correctly, this is different than what you were describing.  Would this give you what you are looking for??

My bank was trying to sell me on Visa Buxx, their program for teen spending. Problem is if she wanted to deposit into her card, she would have to give me the money and I would have to transfer. No big deal, really but not exactly what I had in mind.

IIUC the secure card could not be in her name because she is 15.

It appears that a competing bank had Visa Gift Cards that could work if I understand the program.

I worked at RadioShack last year and they have pre loaded credit cards. I forgot what they were called exactly, but I beleive they were mastercard endorsed. The plus was that you can reload them at the radioshack store with cash or by phone.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
I worked at RadioShack last year and they have pre loaded credit cards. I forgot what they were called exactly, but I beleive they were mastercard endorsed. The plus was that you can reload them at the radioshack store with cash or by phone.

Even better, closer to home than the Wells Fargo branch. Was there a fee?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
Even better, closer to home than the Wells Fargo branch. Was there a fee?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 05:45 AM)
Go to radioshack... walgreens... or cvs pharmacy...

They have something called Green Dot credit cards... no bank account needed...

Yea thats what it was called Green Dot.....there is a fee I think it was around 5 bucks, but like Jeckle said, anywhere you see the green dot logo you can refill the card

Thank you. I knew there had to be something out there and my google searches were not working. Those fees are a little hefty if she is putting small amounts in, I'm going to have to figure out if that's worth it. $4.95 for very deposit. If she is only putting in $20, that would suck.