Watching the Sox on satellite

valponick

This is probably a stupid question but I have Comcast cable right now (absolutely hate it) and we'd like to switch to a dish. Can I still get the games on CSN with the dish? I'd like to switch to Direct TV so I can get the NFL ticket, so if anyone that has Direct TV can help me out and let me know what I need to order to be able to still watch the Sox I'd appreciate it.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
This is probably a stupid question but I have Comcast cable right now (absolutely hate it) and we'd like to switch to a dish.  Can I still get the games on CSN with the dish?  I'd like to switch to Direct TV so I can get the NFL ticket, so if anyone that has Direct TV can help me out and let me know what I need to order to be able to still watch the Sox I'd appreciate it.

Yes you get comcast with DirectTV. Channel 640

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
If you are in the local market you can watch the games.  However if you are outside of the Chicagoland area you might get Comcast but the baseball games will be blacked out.

I live in Hammond, so I'm in the local market. Do I need to order a specific package to get the local programming?

QUOTE(CanadianSoxFan @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
The best bet for you...just get MLB.tv if you have high speed Internet.

You can watch all the games on your computer. Thats the cheapest way to go. This is my 3rd year now doing that.

MLB.TV sucks. CSN Chicago over satellite or MLB Extra Innings are far superior options.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
This is probably a stupid question but I have Comcast cable right now (absolutely hate it) and we'd like to switch to a dish.  Can I still get the games on CSN with the dish?  I'd like to switch to Direct TV so I can get the NFL ticket, so if anyone that has Direct TV can help me out and let me know what I need to order to be able to still watch the Sox I'd appreciate it.

Val,

If you are in the chicago Area channel 640 will give you the sox games, and 639 is their backup station. If you are out of the area you will need to purchase the MLB package. Word of warning however: I loved directv for the time I had it, but since i've switched to Comcast, it really is the better service IMO for HDTV, on demand, etc. They are both good though, and you will be happy with either.

Before signing up, talk to DirecTv about the options. YOu can subscribe to the Sports Package ($12/month) and you get all the FOX/ComCast/Etc sports channels. BUT, games could be blacked out if out of area or on the MBL Extra Innings package. You may need to buy the baseball package. This is all if you live OUT of the Chicago area.

IF you live in the Chicago area, I believe Comcast should be included and you won't have blackout issues.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Val,

If you are in the chicago Area channel 640 will give you the sox games, and 639 is their backup station.  If you are out of the area you will need to purchase the MLB package.  Word of warning however:  I loved directv for the time I had it, but since i've switched to Comcast, it really is the better service IMO for HDTV, on demand, etc.  They are both good though, and you will be happy with either.

We have Comcast right now and we absolutely hate it. We are dumping both cable and internet, we have nothing but problems with them. I'll probably just give them a call and see what's up, I was hoping to order online though because it seems like they have alot of online-only deals. Thanks for all the quick input guys!

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
We have Comcast right now and we absolutely hate it.  We are dumping both cable and internet, we have nothing but problems with them.  I'll probably just give them a call and see what's up, I was hoping to order online though because it seems like they have alot of online-only deals.  Thanks for all the quick input guys!

You're in Hammond. You'll get Comcast with Direct TV with their basic programming. If you want the games on WGN and WCIU you'll need to buy their local channels (around $5.99 a month) or keep an antenna on your house (or rabbit ears).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
Val,

If you are in the chicago Area channel 640 will give you the sox games, and 639 is their backup station.  If you are out of the area you will need to purchase the MLB package.  Word of warning however:  I loved directv for the time I had it, but since i've switched to Comcast, it really is the better service IMO for HDTV, on demand, etc.  They are both good though, and you will be happy with either.

Do you get the HD Comcast Sports channel? How about WGN?

DirectTV sucks. The audio is awful must of the times. There are times like last nigth they dont show the start of the game cause of the CUbs post game. I would not get it. I want to switch once my contract is up. I do have to say the NFL package is great. But it makes me mad when I have to miss Sox games.

QUOTE(gsoxs1 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
DirectTV sucks.  The audio is awful must of the times.  There are times like last nigth they dont show the start of the game cause of the CUbs post game.  I would not get it.  I want to switch once my contract is up.  I do have to say the NFL package is great.  But it makes me mad when I have to miss Sox games.

The game was like that because the start of the sox game was on WCIU. it was like that on cable as well.