Nash reportedly repeats as MVP

Linky

Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
It was a 3 horse race IMO between Nash, Kobe, and LeBron....and you really could have gone with any of the 3 and I couldn't argue.

Why dont you consider Billups to be on that list? He was on a team that out performed every one of the others.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
He also had more talent around him than any of the others.  Nash included.

More talent, or players who play together? Detroit really plays the game well, its assinine that because they are good, nobody on their team could be MVP. Jordan was surrounded by some of the best talent, does that make him not as good?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Wallace, Wallace, Prince, and Hamilton are not that awful.

SO a player's status gets penalized because he has good players around him? By default then, the MVP should be the best player on the worst team?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
SO a player's status gets penalized because he has good players around him?  By default then, the MVP should be the best player on the worst team?

No. Look at it this way:

The Pistons wouldn't have been hurting that much without Billups, with that supporting cast. However, the Suns, Lakers, and Cavs would have been royally f***ed without Nash, Kobe, or Bron.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
No.  Look at it this way:

The Pistons wouldn't have been hurting that much without Billups, with that supporting cast.  However, the Suns, Lakers, and Cavs would have been royally f***ed without Nash, Kobe, or Bron.

Once again, the talent of the players around someone makes them less of a player?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
More talent, or players who play together?  Detroit really plays the game well, its assinine that because they are good, nobody on their team could be MVP.  Jordan was surrounded by some of the best talent, does that make him not as good?

Well, then I guess we can go back to the question...where would the team and the teammates be without that player? Jordan never won MVP awards in his latter years despite being the best player by far, he only won them early, when he was carrying his team into the playoffs. Once Pippen had really developed, Rodman was added, Kukoc was found, etc., Jordan stopped winning them.

I think the best argument for Nash is probably what happens to the people around him when you subtract him. Yeah you move Lebron or Kobe out of their teams and both of them are terrible, but the other people on the team seem like they'd play at the same level. You pull Nash out of his team, and everyone around him becomes massively worse.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Wallace, Wallace, Prince, and Hamilton are not that awful.

Neither are Marion, Diaw, and Barbosa.

And for my money D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, and Dirk were all more deserving of the MVP and Billups probably as deserving as Nash.

Nash is a great PG, but he flat out isn't as good as the 4 guys mentioned first, he doesn't have more value to his team than Billups, and he absolutely sucks on defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Well, then I guess we can go back to the question...where would the team and the teammates be without that player?  Jordan never won MVP awards in his latter years despite being the best player by far, he only won them early, when he was carrying his team into the playoffs.  Once Pippen had really developed, Rodman was added, Kukoc was found, etc., Jordan stopped winning them.

I think the best argument for Nash is probably what happens to the people around him when you subtract him.  Yeah you move Lebron or Kobe out of their teams and both of them are terrible, but the other people on the team seem like they'd play at the same level.  You pull Nash out of his team, and everyone around him becomes massively worse.

Im not going to argue that Billups should be the MVP. My vote goes with Nash or Kobe personally. I just think its stupid to discount someone's value, just because his team kicks everyone else's ass. In some sports, the best player on the best team gets the most consideration for MVP, for some reason in basketball, its not the case.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Once again, the talent of the players around someone makes them less of a player?

I don't consider Billups to be as valuable to his team, as Nash, Kobe, and Bron are to their teams.

Make a poll, and I guarantee I won't be in the minority.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
No.  Look at it this way:

The Pistons wouldn't have been hurting that much without Billups, with that supporting cast.  However, the Suns, Lakers, and Cavs would have been royally f***ed without Nash, Kobe, or Bron.

The Pistons drop off in production was greater without Billups than the Suns production without Nash on the court.

http://www.82games.com/0506/rolandratings0506.htm

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Neither are Marion, Diaw, and Barbosa. 

And for my money D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, and Dirk were all more deserving of the MVP and Billups probably as deserving as Nash. 

Nash is a great PG, but he flat out isn't as good as the 4 guys mentioned first, he doesn't have more value to his team than Billups, and he absolutely sucks on defense.

I'm not even trying to defend just Nash. I actually wanted to see Kobe or Bron win this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)

If you can't use the talent of the players around him as an argument against a person earning an MVP award, how can you use the record of the team as an argument for a person earning an MVP?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Why dont you consider Billups to be on that list?  He was on a team that out performed every one of the others.

That Pistons team is still very good without Billups, wheras the Lakers, Cavs (both for sure) and probably the Suns don't even make the playoffs without their guys. I know it sucks for Billups to have his supporting cast held against him, but that's how it goes when the award is called most VALUABLE player. Billups is still great and had a great year, but his value to his own team is lessened by the talent around him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I don't consider Billups to be as valuable to his team, as Nash, Kobe, and Bron are to their teams.

Make a poll, and I guarantee I won't be in the minority.

Make a poll huh? No thanks, i really dont give a s*** what everyone else thinks. IM just wondering why the quality of a team ruins someone's chances at being MVP. IN other sports it helps the player, but not in the NBA. Billups was very important to his team's success, wouldnt being extremely valuable on the best team make you most valuable?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Make a poll huh?  No thanks, i really dont give a s*** what everyone else thinks.  IM just wondering why the quality of a team ruins someone's chances at being MVP.  IN other sports it helps the player, but not in the NBA.  Billups was very important to his team's success, wouldnt being extremely valuable on the best team make you most valuable?

In my eyes it should be in every sport that the quality of the team hurts a guys chances at MVP, just like no player on a team that misses the playoffs should be MVP, since they could have missed the playoffs without you. That is why sometimes I wonder if there should be 2 awards, most VALUABLE player and most OUTSTANDING player, as they are 2 completely different things IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Make a poll huh?  No thanks, i really dont give a s*** what everyone else thinks.  IM just wondering why the quality of a team ruins someone's chances at being MVP.  IN other sports it helps the player, but not in the NBA.  Billups was very important to his team's success, wouldnt being extremely valuable on the best team make you most valuable?

That's the big problem with the definition of the award itself...it's called the "Most valuable player" award, which implies something different from "the best player". But, everyone can have different definitions about what value means to a team, so we wind up a bit muddled.

It'd really be nice if there was a "Player of the year" award in the 3 major sports to go along with the MVP award. In baseball we could call it the Pujols.