Delmon Young throws bat at umpire after...

maggsmaggs

Highly touted prospect throws bat at ump

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- Durham Bulls outfielder Delmon Young threw a bat into the chest of the home plate umpire after being called out on strikes in the first inning of Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.

Young argued with the umpire after taking a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. The umpire ejected Young, who then threw his bat and hit the umpire in the chest.

Replacement umpires have been working all minor league games this season because the regular umpires are on strike. Bill Wanless, a spokesman for the Pawtucket Red Sox, said minor league teams are not releasing the names of umpires while the regulars are on strike.

Young, 20, is the younger brother of Detroit Tigers outfielder Dmitri Young. He was voted the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' minor league player of the year last season and the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

The Devils Rays selected Young with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/201...ng_Ejected.html

Wow, he could be suspended for a while.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
He's had a problems in the past, too. The Devil Rays need to give him a 40 game suspension and send a message. The guy is one hell of a talent.

They wouldnt want to stunt his growth that much... max the devil rays would give is a handful.

Yeah it sounds a bit overblown to say he threw his bat at the ump but there was undeniably unacceptable contact made so he'll pay the price. He's a very, very young man and I bet he overcomes this. Young stars often have bumps in the road. As long as he is held accountable, I'm sure he'll still become a star hitter. The Rays have had their hands full with Elijah Dukes but most of Delmon's problems have either been lesser or kept quiet

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
They wouldnt want to stunt his growth that much... max the devil rays would give is a handful.

Stunt his growth? He has been ready for a while now. Five, ten, twenty, or fourty games will not matter in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
He's had a problems in the past, too. The Devil Rays need to give him a 40 game suspension and send a message. The guy is one hell of a talent.

I'm guessing it will be the league jumping in here, and I imagine it will be a stiff fine and suspension. He may be ready physically, but if he can't control himself and is throwing a bat at the umpire, he's got some growing between the ears to do. I believe the difference between a AAA and MLB talent wise is razor thin, it's attitude and mental abilities that can make the difference for most players.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I believe the difference between a AAA and MLB talent wise is razor thin, it's attitude and mental abilities that can make the difference for most players.

That's true for 95 pct of players. However, Delmon is just a baseball phenom, and he can continue to be the biggest ass in the world....and he'll still be a MLB superstar. As someone said earlier in this thread....the D Rays have no one but themselves to blame for letting Delmon be on the same team with Dukes. If Delmon was smart, he should have just claimed he was tossing the bat to Upton. Everyone in the world knows that Upton would have just let it go through his legs.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
LaTroy Hawkins going after an umpire and needing 5 coaches to restrain him and Alfonseca's "Assualt w/ a Deadly Belly" and the excuse, "I slipped on wet grass" still beat this

What the hell does that have to do with this thread? Nothing, move on with your Cub obsession. Please.

Most people want him suspended with the key being thrown away. I'm stunned. I think its because he's not a major leaguer and because there aren't any Tampa fans. If he were on the Sawx or the Dodgers then their fanbases would get behind him. I say more than the Roberto Alomar suspension but nothing too ridiculous. 15-20 games will get the message across. Ask yourself, what does a season suspension tell a kid that 20 games doesn't? To me, not much

So much for my late round steal in my keeper league. :angry:

He's still so talented that I almost have to keep him on the roster, because he's going to produce whenever the D-Rays finally give him a shot.

Incidents like this certainly won't speed things up though.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Most people want him suspended with the key being thrown away. I'm stunned. I think its because he's not a major leaguer and because there aren't any Tampa fans. If he were on the Sawx or the Dodgers then their fanbases would get behind him. I say more than the Roberto Alomar suspension but nothing too ridiculous. 15-20 games will get the message across. Ask yourself, what does a season suspension tell a kid that 20 games doesn't? To me, not much

It tells you that you don't throw a f***ing baseball bat at an umpire or else you don't get to play for the whole f***ing season. That's what it tells me, at least. The problem is that most people know that you don't throw bats at people, and they don't need some kind of suspension to know it. Apparently, this s***head didn't realize it wasn't a good thing to throw bats at people.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
The problem is that most people know that you don't throw bats at people, and they don't need some kind of suspension to know it.  Apparently, this s***head didn't realize it wasn't a good thing to throw bats at people.

Oh, I'm sure that he knows. He just thought that he could get away with it because, you know, he's a superstar athlete and all.

From what I've heard today, Delmon didn't "throw" the bat at the ump. I know it's just a matter of semantics, but people who have seen the in-home video feed say he tossed the bat back at the umpire. There's still no excuse to do this.....but throwing the bat sounds a lot worse.

I'd like to see the video. Throwing a bat could be better or worse than swinging the bat. Did the umpire get in the way of the toss, or did he throw with intent to hurt? It could be the difference in the real world from battery to attempted murder.

Still striking an umpire has to be as serious of a infraction as can be.