And that's a White Sox loser

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
Positives:

- Brian Anderson's swing is getting better.  Even though he didn't have the results, he looked more like a hitter at the plate.

- and that's about the only positive you can take away from tonight

Completely agree with you Fathom. I can also deal with the fact that in 5 starts Mark has had one "bad" outing where he gave up 4 runs in 7 IP. Terrible!

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Widger to me looks like he just wants to hit a homer with his big swing every time up. Cut down your swing Widge!!!

He forgot who he is...someone needs to slap him and say...Man you're a f***ing 500 year old backup catcher that was playing softball 2 years ago

This is an honest question for my fellow Sox fans....even with our stellar pitching rotation, do you think the Sox team is better suited for a smaller, homer hitting park? In my opinion, we're a better team when we're mashing homers and our pitchers are keeping the other team in the park.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
This is an honest question for my fellow Sox fans....even with our stellar pitching rotation, do you think the Sox team is better suited for a smaller, homer hitting park?  In my opinion, we're a better team when we're mashing homers and our pitchers are keeping the other team in the park.

I would say yes. Our offense is very well suited to hit the long ball and our pitchers are good enough to succeed in either type of park.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 05:15 AM)
Widger to me looks like he just wants to hit a homer with his big swing every time up. Cut down your swing Widge!!!

As a back-up catcher, Widger is fine. Over time, he'll shorten his swing out, and he'll be hitting big homers for us against lefty pitchers.

do you think the Sox team is better suited for a smaller, homer hitting park? In my opinion, we're a better team when we're mashing homers and our pitchers are keeping the other team in the park.

I don't think so. The Sox don't have a lot of great K guys, or great G/F guys, so I would say that the bigger parks are actually to the Sox's advantage--especially with the range of our OF.

Yea, I chalk this series loss up to the pathetic lineup Ozzie trotted out there for the 1st game. It's not like this is a team of geriatrics either. I can see the starting C, Dye, and Crede seeing some rest, but even then--not all at the same time please.

Tonight was just a game were the hard hit balls were at the wrong part of the field. Mark made a few mistakes, and the Mariners had some clutch hits. I'm not really upset, just gotta come back next game.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
This is an honest question for my fellow Sox fans....even with our stellar pitching rotation, do you think the Sox team is better suited for a smaller, homer hitting park?  In my opinion, we're a better team when we're mashing homers and our pitchers are keeping the other team in the park.

I would say 3/5 of our starters in the rotation are fly ball pitchers. They would get murdered if we had a small ass field just a regular fly ball or a hitter who was just a tad underneath a pitch could probably go out. Wouldn't matter what our hitters would do unless you want a 15-13, 12-10 score every game like in Colorado most of the time. Just my two cents.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
I would say 3/5 of our starters in the rotation are fly ball pitchers. They would get murdered if we had a small ass field just a regular fly ball or a hitter who was just a tad underneath a pitch could probably go out.

You do know the Cell is considered a "small ass" field when it's warm out?

Well this happens from time to time to the Sox after a big blowout win. We jacked a ton of homers last night. Tonight we were out of sorts at the plate. This year we have been very patient at the plate, hitting line drives and putting pressure on the pitcher. We havent take a lot of bad swings, making pitchers throw strikes.

Tonight we chases pitches out of the zone, took pitches down the middle, and had long swings fouling off the other pitches. When we connected on something it was either a Washburn belt high and higher fastball away which shot straight up for a popup, or we took out the 9 iron and golfed the breaking pitch in the dirt for another popup.

My inital thought tonight was that were were going to rock wash. He is a good pitcher but relies on his fastball at lot, and tries to pound in. However a lot of pitchers would of looked great tonight due to our undisciplined approach.

Hopefully we get back to business in LA. Garcia needs to nut up and throw hard and have a good game. Our hitters need to try and hit line drives again. And no more mass group 4 sightings for a week or so.

Thome hits like s*** against Weaver .179BA , and so does Konerko .231. So we need Freddy to pitch well, we need to get into hitters counts and make Weaver get the ball up.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
You do know the Cell is considered a "small ass" field when it's warm out?

Yes, thats why I was surprised of the question. Hell, I think 2 of our starters pitched better on the road so I was very surprised that a question like this was posted. Not saying its dumb or anything but....

Or.. maybe I was reading it wrong. :huh

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Chalk 1 series loss to an Ozzie lineup.  We ended up with 4 or 5 series losses last year due to it, wonder how many we will have this year.

Um, no. Chalk one series loss to our lineup not being able to hit Moyer and Washburn.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Um, no.  Chalk one series loss to our lineup not being able to hit Moyer and Washburn.

I think we have a better chance to hit moyer when we have the regulars out there. Not many teams can expect to do well when you take 1/3rd of the order out including 2 of our hottest hitters.

Sure whatever potatoes potahtoes.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
I think we have a better chance to hit moyer when we have the regulars out there.  Not many teams can expect to do well when you take 1/3rd of the order out including 2 of our hottest hitters.

Given that we haven't hit Moyer well in recent years and we were riding an eight-game winning streak going into Monday night, I don't fault Ozzie for sitting a few regulars. We should be able to score more than one freaking earned run off of Moyer, even with Dye and Crede on the bench.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Given that we haven't hit Moyer well in recent years and we were riding an eight-game winning streak going into Monday night, I don't fault Ozzie for sitting a few regulars.  We should be able to score more than one freaking earned run off of Moyer, even with Dye and Crede on the bench.

Usually you dont have good numbers against a teams number 1. That is the time to have all of your best in. The 8 game winning streak is nice and all, however take a good look at our record on the West Coast over the last few years. Now say to yourself, against their best pitcher I think we still have a shot after taking out our number 5 hitter that provides protection to Konerko, Kong will still get the same pitches, our best defender for a pitcher who is a ground ball guy, and our leadoff guy. Take a look at the back of Mondays lineup and then ask yourself again, why didnt we score more runs against Moyer.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 05:51 AM)
Given that we haven't hit Moyer well in recent years and we were riding an eight-game winning streak going into Monday night, I don't fault Ozzie for sitting a few regulars.  We should be able to score more than one freaking earned run off of Moyer, even with Dye and Crede on the bench.

I must have been raised to view sports in a different way. Usually, when you're on a big winning streak, you try to keep everything the same. It's when you're on a losing streak, you have no problem making some changes. It's all in the past now, and I hope we can win 3 more games on this road trip.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
Usually you dont have good numbers against a teams number 1.  That is the time to have all of your best in.  The 8 game winning streak is nice and all, however take a good look at our record on the West Coast over the last few years.  Now say to yourself, against their best pitcher I think we still have a shot after taking out our number 5 hitter that provides protection to Konerko, Kong will still get the same pitches, our best defender for a pitcher who is a ground ball guy, and our leadoff guy. 

This isn't a video game where players never get tired. In real life, you need to sit your starters every once in a while. If Ozzie wants to sit a few tired guys after winning eight in a row with them, I don't see the problem. And when even your best players have struggled recently against Moyer and winning that evening isn't imperative, it makes even more sense. You can't go through a 162-game season with the pedal to the floor the entire time.

Take a look at the back of Mondays lineup and then ask yourself again, why didnt we score more runs against Moyer.

Take a look at tonight's lineup and ask youself, why didn't we score more runs against Washburn? We had most of the regulars in the lineup, with the exception of Widger.