Another big Chicago protest up coming!

southsider2k5

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
And if workers take off to 'protest' without getting permission from their employers first, I hope they all get fired, fined, reprimanded, suspended, whatever.

Doubtful, you don't get rid of cheap labor. You think the employers aren't in on the deal? Ha.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
Doubtful, you don't get rid of cheap labor.  You think the employers aren't in on the deal?  Ha.

Exactly. Many companies are giving people the day off to go down to the protests rather than fight with them or wait for a walkout.

More than wading into another immigration arguement thread, I wanted to make sure everyone had the heads up about this going on and avoided downtown Chicago at all costs. The last protests had about 100,000 people or so, and shutdown most of the loop. This time they are trying to get 5 times that many people down here... It will be ugly.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
Exactly.  Many companies are giving people the day off to go down to the protests rather than fight with them or wait for a walkout.

More than wading into another immigration arguement thread, I wanted to make sure everyone had the heads up about this going on and avoided downtown Chicago at all costs.  The last protests had about 100,000 people or so, and shutdown most of the loop.  This time they are trying to get 5 times that many people down here...  It will be ugly.

I won't be able to avoid downtown that day, I work here.

During the last protest, some businesses, mostly restaurants and fast food places had signs on their doors stating that they'd be closing early so that their employees could join the rally.

I agree, we've beaten the issue to death.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 08:03 AM)
And if workers take off to 'protest' without getting permission from their employers first, I hope they all get fired, fined, reprimanded, suspended, whatever.

I have to agree with Evil on this one. The key being permission. I would also hope that most employers count this as a vacation day, personal day, sick day, etc. But give them the time off, where possible, and following accepted company rules.

How about a national take the job of an illegal day? Have documented, legal workers that could be picking fruit, mowing lawns, busing tables, apply for those jobs and show the employers that there are millions of workers available, ready and willing to work. :)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
I won't be able to avoid downtown that day, I work here.

During the last protest, some businesses, mostly restaurants and fast food places had signs on their doors stating that they'd be closing early so that their employees could join the rally.

I agree, we've beaten the issue to death.

I'll be down here too... Actually I am going to try to grab my camera and maybe get some pics.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
I have to agree with Evil on this one. The key being permission. I would also hope that most employers count this as a vacation day, personal day, sick day, etc. But give them the time off, where possible, and following accepted company rules.

How about a national take the job of an illegal day? Have documented, legal workers that could be picking fruit, mowing lawns, busing tables, apply for those jobs and show the employers that there are millions of workers available, ready and willing to work.  :)

Because as Americans we are owed better work.

Seriously, a lot of Americans are too proud or just flat out too lazy.

Our company will be missing about half our warehouse workers Monday. Those of us in the office are keeping a low profile on the whole subject because everyone on all sides has an opinion and voicing it too loudly will only cause problems.

We are allowing those workers to take the day off without ramifications. It will be excused but unpaid. No vacation days, sick days or personal days. You can take off and you will not get in trouble, you just won't get paid.

Great timing. This conjoined protest happens to fall on the one occasion I'm obligated to drive downtown. This is going to be brutal. Last protest rally Harrison and Halsted were virtually deadlocked. Traffic is already tight with the Dan Ryan reconstruction--this can't possibly help.

I'm seriously consider leaving my house four hours before my finals begin. Afterwards, I have to attend a work-related clinic. I'll leave school two hours before this is scheduled as well.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Great timing. This conjoined protest happens to fall on the one occasion I'm obligated to drive downtown. This is going to be brutal. Last protest rally Harrison and Halsted were virtually deadlocked. Traffic is already tight with the Dan Ryan reconstruction--this can't possibly help.

I'm seriously consider leaving my house four hours before my finals begin. Afterwards, I have to attend a work-related clinic. I'll leave school two hours before this is scheduled as well.

Drive nearby, then get on the train.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
Drive nearby, then get on the train.

The location I have to attend for my work clinic isn't exactly in the best neighborhood. This is the sole reason for driving to school. There's no direct bus or train route which could drop me within two blocks of the building. I'd have to walk nearly 6 blocks back and forth through a crime riddled neighborhood, dressed nicely, in the evening. Not a fan of that scenario.

Monday's rally might not even be as large as the one which occured last month. :pray

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)

Thanks Tex, that is exactlly what I meant. if you get permission from your company, more power to ya. If you just decide to go out for a bit, and screw the rest of the office/warehouse with your absense, I hope you get just as f***ed in the employment area.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Thanks Tex, that is exactlly what I meant.  if you get permission from your company, more power to ya.  If you just decide to go out for a bit, and screw the rest of the office/warehouse with your absense, I hope you get just as f***ed in the employment area.

I don't see this stuff as helping the immigration cause.

What would be better is if no one showed up, with the explaination, we were all *working* like we've been telling you.

To the militant protester, I'm sorry, I believe that US policies caused a situation that is unfair to a lot of people. Let us fix the problem, and we'll help you out. But intimidate us and act ungrateful? I start to get a little upset. When they lose support from folks like me, they are taking a giant step backwards.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)

My advice to you and anyone else that has to be downtown that day is take a train. Driving into that mess is not terribly smart.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
I don't see this stuff as helping the immigration cause.

What would be better is if no one showed up, with the explaination, we were all *working* like we've been telling you.

To the militant protester, I'm sorry, I believe that US policies caused a situation that is unfair to a lot of people. Let us fix the problem, and we'll help you out. But intimidate us and act ungrateful? I start to get a little upset. When they lose support from folks like me, they are taking a giant step backwards.

^^^^

And indeed many organizers are fearful of a backlash from white America. Its coming.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
My advice to you and anyone else that has to be downtown that day is take a train.  Driving into that mess is not terribly smart.

But if they ask you to wear a pin, for GOD SAKES, wear the pin . . . :D

Nuke, a while back there was some initiative to change the law to instant citizenship for getting wounded, instead of having to die, did that ever get passed? I think my Congressman was one of the sponsors of the bill and I didn't see it on his web site.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Nuke, a while back there was some initiative to change the law to instant citizenship for getting wounded, instead of having to die, did that ever get passed? I think my Congressman was one of the sponsors of the bill and I didn't see it on his web site.

You got me on that one. I heard about the same thing but I lost track of what happened to it. Personally, I think as long as a person has a clean background if they want to join our military and are fully capable then they should be awarded citizenship.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
^^^^

And indeed many organizers are fearful of a backlash from white America.  Its coming.

Not just from white America. In fact Fox wasn't far off when he compared the role of Mexicans with other minorities. Those minorities have moved a step or two up the ladder and don't want to give that up as easy.