Sox at Playboy mansion today?

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Brian Anderson and the rest of the single guys need to use this opportunity to get them a bunny for themselves.  Look at what Pods goes home to.

The downside is that's the cause for his constant groin injury. :P

Perhaps I'm being petty, but wasn't the "reason" for Pierzynski and Crede to cut their hair, and the cause for the notice to be served to Freddy and Cotts as well, that "image" had to be acceptable to the public or some bulls*** like that about "image"? If Reinsdorf is so worried about image, why is he letting them go to the Playboy mansion?

I don't have a problem with them visiting Hugh Hefner or with their hairs. I'm just curious what the hell merits being labeled an "image" problem.

Boys will be boys, it's worth Mansioning

April 28, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

LOS ANGELES -- It was a look I had seen before but couldn't quite place.

As the White Sox players and members of the organization boarded a bus destined for the Playboy Mansion on their day off Thursday, in walked the club's manager of media relations, Pat O'Connell.

He had an extra jump in his step, while his face was a mix of excitement and joy.

Then it hit me. It was that same look that little Ralphie Parker had on his face as he opened his Red Ryder BB gun in the movie "A Christmas Story.''

O'Connell had good reason. After all, it was he who masterminded the latest Sox "field trip'' since the team won the World Series last season. White House, nuclear submarine, and now the Playboy Mansion.

"In an offseason full of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, I was glad that I was able to contribute, and I was glad that we were able to have an enjoyable off day together at the Playboy Mansion,'' O'Connell said in perfect PR speak.

He had failed to leave out that his nice, Catholic family wasn't completely elated about the idea, namely his mother, Debbie.

"Well, my mom ... my dad was very proud and may have even teared up when I told him,'' O'Connell said. "My mom was less than thrilled.''

A familiar feeling, as it turned out. Most of the players and personnel who attended had to at least run it by a wife or girlfriend and explain that it was like visiting a museum. Or even like winning a golden ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

I had one of those tickets, and I didn't even have to share some run-down shack with Grandpa Joe to get it.

Hello to 'honeys' and Hef

The bus ride through Beverly Hills was to be expected: assessing million-dollar houses, and center fielder Brian Anderson assessing his chances of actually leaving the mansion with a Playmate.

"Just checking out the competition,'' Anderson joked as he glanced at the rest of the bus.

Young, single and proud of it. This was the ultimate safari for a player who admittedly "loves the honeys.''

So as the bus rolled through the 90210 and past a playground full of kids -- yes, it was A.J. Pierzynski who yelled, "There's Michael Jackson's house'' -- it was clear that winning a World Series has its privileges.

Especially when the tour guides showed up. Hugh Hefner's very own girlfriends -- as well as the three women who star in the reality show on E!, "The Girls Next Door'' -- Holly Madison, Bridget Marquardt and Kendra Wilkinson.

Before checking out the grounds of the 5.7-acre estate, however, the first order of business was meeting Willy Wonka himself, "Hef.''

The 80-year-old came out of the mansion in full silk sleepwear, with a Sox hat tilted to the side. From a distance, he looked like Mr. Burns goes hip-hop. Most of the whispers in the group were along the lines of, "No way can that dude still keep up with three young girls.''

Then Hef moved closer, and while the body looked a bit rusty, his face carried a certain strength to it -- a look that had a lot of life and almost said, "I know something that you don't.''

He shook hands, was presented his No. 80 jersey by pitcher Mark Buehrle, took a group photo and was off. After all, there's a lot of work involved in running a billion-dollar empire. I guess.

The first stop on the tour was the pool and the infamous Grotto. The saying is, "What happens in the Grotto stays in the Grotto.'' There wasn't much that was going to happen Thursday, however. That was very obvious.

Hef's backyard is part rain forest, part zoo. Birds squawking, peacocks running around. Texas-born rookie Boone Logan didn't say it, but you could tell he was thinking, "If I had my gun and no one was around, I could get me some of these birds.''

One part of the tour caught Buehrle's attention. There's a huge sloping hill in the backyard that, on every Fourth of July, has two Slip 'N' Slides put on it for the big summer blowout party. Note to general manager Ken Williams: Buehrle did not attempt to slide down the hill but is requesting this July 4 off for some reason.

Anderson cools off

By the time lunch was served, Madison and Marquardt said their goodbyes and headed in, obviously worn down from the overdose of testosterone. That left poor little Wilkinson by herself -- and left Anderson an opening.

He played catch with the very tan, very blonde 20-year-old, even blazing a ball over her head, resembling the same courting methods a fourth-grader uses when he pulls on a classmate's pigtails.

She then signed pictures for people, and, yes, she did ask me, "Does Joe have an 'e' in it?'' OK, so she's not exactly ready to break the Da Vinci Code.

And how did the rest of his teammates feel about Anderson's attempts at the ultimate "honey''? Minutes later, Anderson was thrown in the pool by Buehrle, with Wilkinson the one who set him up for the attack.

"Brian, you make the major-league minimum, and Hef makes that in one day,'' one teammate said. "Do you think she'll leave this mansion to come and live with you and your folks in Tucson?''

Reality is cruel at times.

That was also the end of the afternoon, though the dripping-wet Anderson did get a nice robe as a consolation prize.

"I will say that it was something I will never, ever get to see again,'' catcher Chris Widger said of the experience. "It was fun. But you have 30 guys standing around on a patio for 45 minutes, watching Pat O'Connell get 75 pictures taken. There might have been some better things to do on an off day.''

On the bus ride back to the hotel, almost everyone slept. Not O'Connell. He simply sat there, glowing.

Ralphie had gotten his BB gun.

Where were all the other playmates. I always pictured the mansion with like topless women walking around 24/7....swimming, playing volleyball and such.

Are you telling me BA couldn't get a game of volleyball going or at least teach them some of the finer exercising techniques of the modern day ballplayer. Running....Feet over head stretch...or HELLO...JUMPING JACKS??

Now I know why the dude keeps striking out...he has a bad approach.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Where were all the other playmates.  I always pictured the mansion with like topless women walking around 24/7....swimming, playing volleyball and such. 

Are you telling me BA couldn't get a game of volleyball going or at least teach them some of the finer exercising techniques of the modern day ballplayer.  Running....Feet over head stretch...or HELLO...JUMPING JACKS?? 

Now I know why the dude keeps striking out...he has a bad approach.

Yep, the whole whipping the ball over her head was lame.