Boycott aims to "close" US cities

Controlled Chaos

the best thing about this rally is that illegals wont be working. this could force some employers to hire legal citizens, and hopefully, when the illegal returns to their job the next day, there isnt one waiting for him because it has been filled by a non-illegal. please god, let this happen everywhere on a huge scale.

QUOTE(samclemens @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
the best thing about this rally is that illegals wont be working. this could force some employers to hire legal citizens, and hopefully, when the illegal returns to their job the next day, there isnt one waiting for him because it has been filled by a non-illegal. please god, let this happen everywhere on a huge scale.

It won't, because no one in America has any balls anymore. We're whipped to the political whims of the day. It's pathetic what we have become.

QUOTE(samclemens @ May 1, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)

It would help Bush and those huge unemployment numbers. Or maybe legals will drop their better paying jobs for working in the outdoors picking fruit. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
It would help Bush and those huge unemployment numbers. Or maybe legals will drop their better paying jobs for working in the outdoors picking fruit.  :lolhitting

Yea, cause that's all the illegals do. You must be racist.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 1, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
Yea, cause that's all the illegals do.  You must be racist.

Anything to help those unemployment numbers. I haven't seen anyone making the argument illegals are accountants, Doctors, lawyers, etc. It usually is manual labor jobs, so I will accept that on face value.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Anything to help those unemployment numbers. I haven't seen anyone making the argument illegals are accountants, Doctors, lawyers, etc. It usually is manual labor jobs, so I will accept that on face value.

23199028.gif

FWIW

Professional and Business Services, reports I've seen here theorize that these H1B Visa holders who have overstayed the Visas, and other infractions like that. So yes, there are some computer programmers, tool and die makers, etc in that mix. But for the most part, at least what the Economic Development Groups here are claiming, these aren't the sneak across the river types.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

tex, I have a customer that is in the construction industry, can't get too muych more specific, that has about 70% of its labor force hispanic. According to my office contact, about half of those are probably illegal. She says they present papers and id, but some of them she can tell are fake (she has been doing this for a while). The lowest paid laborer in this company makes over $16/hour, with benefits. They do not all pick fruit. Sometimes in your arguements you seem to assume an all or nothing pose. Not all illegals pick fruit, nor do they all have $16/hour jobs. By the way, the company is basically shut down today since they don't have enough workers coming in to staff any of their job sites. Way to f*** the white workers! And the black workers! And anyone other than the hispanic workers!

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 1, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
tex, I have a customer that is in the construction industry, can't get too muych more specific, that has about 70% of its labor force hispanic.  According to my office contact, about half of those are probably illegal.  She says they present papers and id, but some of them she can tell are fake (she has been doing this for a while).  The lowest paid laborer in this company makes over $16/hour, with benefits.  They do not all pick fruit.  Sometimes in your arguements you seem to assume an all or nothing pose.  Not all illegals pick fruit, nor do they all have $16/hour jobs.  By the way, the company is basically shut down today since they don't have enough workers coming in to staff any of their job sites.  Way to f*** the white workers!  And the black workers!  And anyone other than the hispanic workers!

VICTIM! WE'RE ALL VICTIMS!! DAMMIT! WE'RE ALL VICTIMS!!!

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
tex, I have a customer that is in the construction industry, can't get too muych more specific, that has about 70% of its labor force hispanic.  According to my office contact, about half of those are probably illegal.  She says they present papers and id, but some of them she can tell are fake (she has been doing this for a while).  The lowest paid laborer in this company makes over $16/hour, with benefits.  They do not all pick fruit.  Sometimes in your arguements you seem to assume an all or nothing pose.  Not all illegals pick fruit, nor do they all have $16/hour jobs.  By the way, the company is basically shut down today since they don't have enough workers coming in to staff any of their job sites.  Way to f*** the white workers!  And the black workers!  And anyone other than the hispanic workers!

So then, why would a business owner risk fines and jail time to hire these illegals at $16 per hour?

The owner could fire them today, since they are illegal, he wouldn't even have to pay unemployement or have his rate go up.

BTW, how many here go to high schools with Ag programs? Construction trades? Vocational Centers? "Shop" classes?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 1, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)

Of course it is. Did you expect to see black or white Americans lined up for a job that pays chump change like $16.00 an hour.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)

While this boycott/protest/rally/crime orgy thing annoys the crap out of me, I have to say I don't feel too badly for companies suffering without their illegal immigrant hires. They are in the wrong as well.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
While this boycott/protest/rally/crime orgy thing annoys the crap out of me, I have to say I don't feel too badly for companies suffering without their illegal immigrant hires.  They are in the wrong as well.

It's not just illegals walking out, it's the people who support the illegals.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Professional and Business Services, reports I've seen here theorize that these H1B Visa holders who have overstayed the Visas, and other infractions like that. So yes, there are some computer programmers, tool and die makers, etc in that mix. But for the most part, at least what the Economic Development Groups here are claiming, these aren't the sneak across the river types.

So exactly how misrepresented is the story of the poor Mexican who just wants to work here? The numbers thrown at us say 11-12 million people here working trying to scrimp and save some money. The US's statistics are saying in the whole work force only 7.2 million people are working illegally, which means something in the area of 60% of the illegal aliens could even be working. Then if you combine that with the people Tex is referring to who overstay work visas from other countries, and we could be looking at a whole lot less of the population specifically from Mexico and Central America who are in the US and actually working...

Could the story of being here and doing the jobs that no American wants to do just be a myth? How do you explain the other at very least 4 million people who are here not working?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
So exactly how misrepresented is the story of the poor Mexican who just wants to work here?  The numbers thrown at us say 11-12 million people here working trying to scrimp and save some money.  The US's statistics are saying in the whole work force only 7.2 million people are working illegally, which means something in the area of 60% of the illegal aliens could even be working.  Then if you combine that with the people Tex is referring to who overstay work visas from other countries, and we could be looking at a whole lot less of the population specifically from Mexico and Central America who are in the US and actually working... 

Could the story of being here and doing the jobs that no American wants to do just be a myth?  How do you explain the other at very least 4 million people who are here not working?

First off, the premise may be wrong and highlights one undisputed fact, having people here we don't know about, and aren't included in the census, makes a fair public policy difficult to reach. If the 12,000,000 was based on counting the ears of workers and dividing by two, and now there are less workers, perhaps the entire population could be much less. Maybe there are only 7,000,000 illegals? :huh

As the number gets smaller and smaller, does it mean we should take the issue less and less seriously?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 1, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Hmmm... VICTIMS!  VICTIMS OF THEIR OWN SUCCESS!  I bet they're retired because they got so wealthy and fat off us rich-ass Americans who wanted to pay "cheap" labor.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
First off, the premise may be wrong and highlights one undisputed fact, having people here we don't know about, and aren't included in the census, makes a fair public policy difficult to reach. If the 12,000,000 was based on counting the ears of workers and dividing by two, and now there are less workers, perhaps the entire population could be much less. Maybe there are only 7,000,000 illegals?  :huh

As the number gets smaller and smaller, does it mean we should take the issue less and less seriously?

I have no idea what you are trying to say in the first paragraph to be honest. As for the second, we keep getting told how big of a disruption to things sending 11-12 million workers home would be, when in fact the US is showing that only about half of that amount are actually employed here, and many of them, might not be the people that are in focus in the news. Also if that number is way less than we thought, the potential impact on economy is much less than the predictions which are being offered up by the pundints, right? Plus this keeps getting sold as the US punishing hard working people, but if only about halfish of the people who are here illegally are actually working, how much of that is actually true?

The numbers and the portrayal of the situation don't add up at all, but I guess I should be used to that by now.

What I was trying to say is, the best solution may change, as you stated, based on the number of workers. Having undocumented workers makes counting them impossible, and therefor makes the "correct for America" policy more difficult.

I'm not certain if there is a difference in the solution between 8 and 12 million, it's still a lot of workers. Now a difference between 2 and 15 million would start to expose some differences. And of course the unemployment rate of these workers could also be a factor.

One possible explaination is many of these jobs are seasonal and project dependent. Farm workers are following the crops, construction workers are following the housing booms, etc. Perhaps this highlights another reason that documented workers do not desire these jobs because of the uncertainty of steady employment.

If you were a lawmaker, and facing this decision, which numbers would you use? There are times when these people really earn their money, this is one of them.

And to answer your question, IF there are 12,000,00 and only 7,000,000 are working, AND the other 5,000,000 aren't children who can't work, parents the workers are taking care of, etc. In other words, IF these 5,000,000 are able bodied individuals who can not find work, then we need to make certain they are not receiving government benefits they did not contribute to and our next immigration policy needs to address a 40% unemployment rate.

We can not and should not allow people to come to this country, legally or illegally, just to collect public aid and other benefits. They should been gainfully employed, or, demonstrate the ability to support themselves. (if someone wants to marry a foreigner, and they have the resources, that person should not have to work. If someone wishes to retire here, and has the means, they should be allowed to.)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
While this boycott/protest/rally/crime orgy thing annoys the crap out of me, I have to say I don't feel too badly for companies suffering without their illegal immigrant hires.  They are in the wrong as well.

i feel the same way. :drink

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
There's absolutely no way that only 60% are working...

Depending on how they put together the numbers, it's very believable. 7,000,000 workers, let's say 5,000,000 are married and they each have 2 kids, that another 5,000,000 kids that are not working. Toss in a grandma and grandpa and the numbers could make sense.

If we have 5,000,000 people here who immigrated just to collect public aid, I say start the buses and let's get their asses out of here.