Computer and Other Company Support

Texsox

Recent experieces

My daughters desktop suddenly stopped allowing programs to access the internet. I could "ping" sites from a comand prompt, but no programs would run. Self check, disconnected firewall, disabled anti-virus, spy sweep, virus sweep, finally rolled back a MS update, and it started working again.

Month or two later, same problem, only the last solution doesn't work.

Call to Time-Warner and Roadrunner, my ISP. Short version, the rest of the network can connect? Sorry, your on your own. Total time: On hold 10 minutes, on line with a person, 4 minutes most of it asking cya, post no help, speech. Grade F for f*** them if I had an alternative.

Linksys: Time on hold, 2 minutes. Time with tech 1 hour. Combed over the system, piece by piece even after it was determined their hardware was working fine. Grade A++ for effort, professionalism, and willingness and desire to help. I wish I could pronounce the guy's name.

Microsoft: Short version? #1 reason to go MAC. Grade F

HP/Compaq: Phone support? Three weeks out of warrenty. I won't bore you. D

On-Line support via "live chat" Four techs, three lost connections, multiple restarts, and finally the machine is running. 9.5 hours of work Monday. B+. Good people.

BTW, Linksys was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and was by far the best tech support I have ever experienced.

Another great company is Kryptonite locks. I haven't used this lock in years and thought I lost the key. I called and they offered an exchange for $18 for a new style lock, a $50 value. But, when I did find the key, and somehow it didn't open the lock, they explained about their lifetime warrenty. They are sending me a pre-paid shipping label, and will replace the lock, with their newest style, at no charge.

They also guarantee my bike against theft up to $1250.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Another great company is Kryptonite locks. I haven't used this lock in years and thought I lost the key. I called and they offered an exchange for $18 for a new style lock, a $50 value. But, when I did find the key, and somehow it didn't open the lock, they explained about their lifetime warrenty. They are sending me a pre-paid shipping label, and will replace the lock, with their newest style, at no charge.

They also guarantee my bike against theft up to $1250.

Callaway golf clubs and equipment were so nice to me, they sent a replacement bag overnight.