Westin Hotels - Chicago/Milwaukee

Heads22

We're going on a vacation in early June to Chicago and Milwaukee.....plan to catch the game against the Indians June 9 and Cards vs. Brewers the next night. We realize that Sox game may very well be sold out, but my dad has had luck with scalpers in the past, so we'd likely go that route....but anywho....he asked me to look up hotel info.....

When we went to Hilton Head, SC, we were able to stay for pretty damn cheap at a Westin (under $100 a night, 89 I think) in early June because my dad works for the State of Iowa. Well, I looked up both Westin's in Chicago and Milwaukee and it won't allow me to choose dates past June 4th. Is this typical? Plus, now their website says government rates but in the little box that shows discounts it says "federal discount". Now unless my dad hasn't told me anything, he only qualifies as state/government. Maybe the card he carries will get him out of it.

We had a really nice time at the one in Hilton Head (probably also just because it was damn nice in Hilton Head).....are the ones in the Chicago/Hilton Head area just as nice? We haven't had the best luck staying in big cities ( I swear I saw a hooker on the corner of a hotel in Denver) but I think if we can find a place with two double rooms for under 100, we won't be too picky. Just a search for tonight in Milwaukee turned up 77 a nite, I believe.

Failing that, are there any other places we should consider in the Chitown area?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
We're going on a vacation in early June to Chicago and Milwaukee.....plan to catch the game against the Indians June 9 and Cards vs. Brewers the next night. We realize that Sox game may very well be sold out, but my dad has had luck with scalpers in the past, so we'd likely go that route....but anywho....he asked me to look up hotel info.....

When we went to Hilton Head, SC, we were able to stay for pretty damn cheap at a Westin (under $100 a night, 89 I think) in early June because my dad works for the State of Iowa. Well, I looked up both Westin's in Chicago and Milwaukee and it won't allow me to choose dates past June 4th. Is this typical? Plus, now their website says government rates but in the little box that shows discounts it says "federal discount". Now unless my dad hasn't told me anything, he only qualifies as state/government. Maybe the card he carries will get him out of it.

We had a really nice time at the one in Hilton Head (probably also just because it was damn nice in Hilton Head).....are the ones in the Chicago/Hilton Head area just as nice? We haven't had the best luck staying in big cities ( I swear I saw a hooker on the corner of a hotel in Denver) but I think if we can find a place with two double rooms for under 100, we won't be too picky. Just a search for tonight in Milwaukee turned up 77 a nite, I believe.

Failing that, are there any other places we should consider in the Chitown area?

Go on Hotwire.com. You'll get a good deal off of there. Last summer I went to Chicago and got a room at the Hard Rock Hotel for around $100 bucks a night for two nights. It was a super nice place. Only bad thing about the site is that it doesn't tell you the hotel you are staying at until you book it. The good thing is that it does tell an approximate location as well as how many stars the hotel is.

I did a search for June 9th on there, just to see what came up.

Found a four star on Michigan avenue for $125 bucks.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Go on Hotwire.com.  You'll get a good deal off of there.  Last summer I went to Chicago and got a room at the Hard Rock Hotel for around $100 bucks a night for two nights.  It was a super nice place.  Only bad thing about the site is that it doesn't tell you the hotel you are staying at until you book it.  The good thing is that it does tell an approximate location as well as how many stars the hotel is. 

I did a search for June 9th on there, just to see what came up.

Found a four star on Michigan avenue for $125 bucks.

Was that with gov't discount?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Westin's tend to have really nice beds if they have the heavenly beds.  They are pretty awesome.  My pick to click for hotels in chicago is the Meridian.  Its far and away my favorite hotel in the city.

They are heavenly. The shower ain't too bad either.

Heads here is the skinny....

Try priceline.com and use the Name Your Own Price option. Choose Chicago, put in your dates and then select North Michigan Ave. (assuming that is your preferred choice). Then select 3-star upscale to ensure you won't get stuck in a fleabag. Put in a bid of $70/night (it will be that plus taxes and I believe a $5.95/night fee).

Fill out all the info, including your credit card info and go for it. You should have an answer if you have a room in less than 10 minutes. A few notes: Once you have a room, it is non-refundable, you're in. If you choose 3-star upscale, you will be safe with getting a nice place.

If you do not get a room, go back and try again. All you have to do is make one change. So add an area (Millenium Park, Loop and Grant Park) or change the level of the hotel (you can go up). Another trick is if there is an area that you know does not have a 3-star hotel, then add that area and up your price slightly. If that area doesn't have a 3-star (or above) hotel, then you bear no risk of being put there, so it doesn't matter if you want that area or not. You can try several times by just making one change (changing your dates also works).

Your odds will be much better if you are looking at weekend nights. Westin and similar hotels in major cities are typically business hotels and they will hold their rate on week nights more so than on weekends.

Some real life examples I have experienced through Priceline:

Westin Hotel Michigan Avenue - $65/night

Palmer House Hotel - $75/night

W Hotel (near the Sears Tower) - $70/night

Wyndham Hotel (Atlanta) - $50 night

Marriot Hotel Downton (Detroit) - $40/night (Sunday night, one night)

Doubletree Suites Hotel Buckhead (Atlanta) - $65

Hyatt Regency Hotel (Louisville) - $45/night

Wyndham Hotel (Memphis) - $40/night

These are all real deals. I have never paid more than $75/night in a major city on a weekend since the inception of Priceline. And I have never been disappointed in the quality of the hotel I got, even though you don't know until which one it will be until you actually have paid for it. PM me if you need help.

Lastly, someone before said it already, but the Westin and W Hotel (both Starwood Hotels) have amazingly comfortable beds. And the Westin Michigan Avenue is the visiting team hotel for most, if not all MLB teams coming into Chicago. I have drank alongside guys from the Cardinals and the Red Sox in the nice bar in the Westin.

Hope that helps.