Chicago White Sox 2003 Draft Thread (Day One)

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint King

COMMENT: Strong, durable body. Build similar to Brad Fullmer. Slightly crouched stance. Strength in swing for future average power. Ball jumps off bat, power to opposite field. Powerful strides. Pop in bat.

4th round

Robert Valido, ss

School: Coral Park HS. Class: Sr.

Hometown: Coral Park, Fla.

B-T: R-R. Ht.:: 6-1. Wt.: 175. Birthdate:: May 16, 1985.

College Commitment: Florida International U.

Scouting Report: Valido is part of a rich Coral Park shortstop tradition that also includes Ronnie Belliard and 2000's No. 3 overall pick, Luis Montanez. His defensive skills (strong arm, smooth actions, reliable hands) enabled him to hold off Sean Rodriguez, who transferred to Braddock High, and Guillermo Martinez, a South Alabama signee. Valido is the best defensive shortstop in Florida, though not quite in the same class as Robert Andino, a Marlins second-round pick out of a Miami high school last year. Offensively, Valido can't match Rodriguez' ceiling and he didn't hit well this spring. He's also a slightly below average runner, though that didn't limit him in the field. A team that believes Valido will produce at the plate could pop him as early as the second round.

Valido:

Bio Notes: Valido is a super-slick fielding shortstop who has first-round pro potential at that position. He also swings the bat with authority. Valido might be the best HS shortstop in the 2003 Draft.

With their foruth round pick, 112th overall, the Chicago White Sox select Robert Valedo SS, Miami Coral Park HS, FL

STELLAR. This guy was rated by many as the best highschool shortstop in the country entering the draft. I think he'll be a tough sign but if we can get him it would be huge.

Has power potential and a great glove.

OMG A SS!!!!  Wow we couldn't have done this rounds ago could we?  A HS SS, boy that will save our system...

Remember, you dont' want to run a draft based on needs, but based on talent.

One guy I love is falling; Sox should nab Wes Littleton. Has great movement on his pitches and a pro fastball (91 MPH). Nevermind. Texas nabbed him about 3 slots before we took the highschooler.

BA writeup on Sweeney

Sweeney has an opportunity to go in the latter part of the first round, but his lackluster performance at the Perfect Game predraft showcase may knock him down into the second. With a 6-foot-5, 200-pound build, high-80s fastball and promising curveball, he has plenty of pitching potential. But the consensus is that his future is as an outfielder. Besides his size, his bat, power potential and arm strength are all plus tools. He's comparable to Brewers minor league slugger Brad Nelson, a fourth-round pick out of an Iowa high school two years ago. Sweeney doesn't have quite as much juice in his bat and can get more pull-conscious, but he's more athletic and looks more fluid at the plate. He also can play right field, while Nelson is most likely a first baseman. Sweeney's best chance to become Iowa's first prep first-rounder may come from the Twins, who like big, strong Midwest players, or the Braves, who have two supplemental picks.

5th Round

Matt Nachreiner, rhp

School: Round Rock HS. Class: Sr.

Hometown: Cedar Park, Texas.

B-T: R-R. Ht.:: 6-2. Wt.: 175. Birthdate:: Nov. 17, 1984.

College Commitment: U. of Arizona.

Scouting Report: The No. 2 pitcher behind projected first-round pick John Danks at Round Rock High, Nachreiner easily has first-five-rounds stuff. The life on his 91-94 mph sinker and his slider draw comparisons to Mike MacDougal, and Nachreiner has better command. But he also has chronically bad knees. When he was a freshman, the cartilage in his knees was degenerating so much that doctors told him he wouldn't be able to play baseball much longer. Nachreiner refused to accept that diagnosis and had surgery that has allowed him to continue his career. Multiple clubs aren't willing to take the medical risk with him because they're uncertain how long he'll hold up.

Great news people, in about 20 minutes I'll be launching futuresox.com

In the next week or so there will be a few articles going up on the draft. The first article will be up there today, with a list of all the Sox picks. I'm gonna be updating it throughout the day.

Then we'll be doing our best to get info on all these guys.

So far I think the Sox have done a great job getting steals. Like I said before I go to the U of A and have seen Anderson play multiple times. He is a pure athlete and has all the tools. The one thing that bothers me is that he really only had one good year. Sweeney is a steal in the mid-2nd round. Most experts thought that he would go in the 1st round and the early-2nd at the latest. The OF the Sox got in the 3rd round is also very talented and has some serious power. The SS like most of you pointed out was rated by many as the top high school SS. So I have to say that I am pretty impressed. The Sox haven't gone after needs, but the best available talent and I like that appoach. I do think it was kind of odd that they drafted 3 outfielders in the 1st 3 rounds(Sweeney might move to 1B). The outfield doesn't appear to be a big weakness. I also think they will go after some pitching in the next couple of rounds as well as a catcher. So far so good. Teams like Oakland and Minnesota show how important a solid draft is and its a step to building a much better team. There also is a trend of getting good athletes which is one thing this team needs, so that is a positive. Just my 2 cents on the draft so far.