1. 1. Who are the kings of hair?

• Guns and Roses
    • Bon Jovi
    • Van Halen
    • Def Leppard
    • Warrant
    • Tesla
    • Other (please specify)

Though I am not and never was a fan, GnR really doesn't rate a "Hair Band". They have always been more just straight up RnR. Axl only ratted his hair out in the very early days, but quickly stopped doing it. Nobody else in the band ever did.

Van Halen is a stretch also.

Tesla definitley is not of the "Hair Band" world.

Def Leppard became a part of it, but started as part of the NWOBHM movement.

Sorry...but some of us are still surrounded by the stuff all the time. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 04:34 AM)
Though I am not and never was a fan, GnR really doesn't rate a "Hair Band". They have always been more just straight up RnR. Axl only ratted his hair out in the very early days, but quickly stopped doing it. Nobody else in the band ever did.

While I'm pretty f***ing far from being a GnR fan, I have to admit that their songs are well-produced. They definitely stand the test of time. That's why they're going to blow everyone away in this poll.

Def Leppard, on the other hand? Are people still buying Golden Age Def Leppard albums? I think that you have to be complete strokes in retrospect in order to win a poll like this, and they definitely qualify.

Motley Crue might have what it takes to win as well, but I heard that they do okay in repressed album sales.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 04:34 AM)
Van Halen is a stretch also.

Man, I remember buying their Greatest Hits CD on the strength of "Runnin With The Devil". Tracks 2 through 17 on that disc are straight booty. The Sammy Hagar era produced some of the cheesiest love songs that I've ever heard in my life. I'll go with a Michael Bolton/Kenny G duet over 99.9% of Van Halen's catalog. I s*** you not.

Agreed, GnR do not fit the mold of hair band. Outside of the video for Welcome to the Jungle, you don't see the guys with "big hair"

Van Halen never teased their hair, they just had bad hair.

Hair bands that I think are missing from this list:

Poison

Europe

Cinderella

Dokken

My vote would be for Poison. Big Hair and Bad Metal

Edited by BoKnows

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Man, I remember buying their Greatest Hits CD on the strength of "Runnin With The Devil".  Tracks 2 through 17 on that disc are straight booty.  The Sammy Hagar era produced some of the cheesiest love songs that I've ever heard in my life.  I'll go with a Michael Bolton/Kenny G duet over 99.9% of Van Halen's catalog.  I s*** you not.

Van Halen?! f*** them, he stole Valerie Bertinelli from me, the bastard

one_day_at_a_time_250.jpg

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 05:02 AM)
Hair bands that I think are missing from this list:

Poison

Europe

Cinderella

Dokken

My vote would be for Poison.  Big Hair and Bad Metal

s*** man, I don't think that anyone remembers the last three. I was heavily involved in the terrible late 80s rock scene, as was everyone else around me, and I didn't know anybody who owned their albums. I'd actually go with groups like Whitesnake, Motley Crue, etc. That terrible dated crap that people could remember because of the videos and such...

Poison is a perfect choice.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
guns-n-roses.jpg

Not a hair band?

And if you watch the video for "Welcome to the Jungle" Axls hair is WAY teased out.

My personal fave growing up was Def Leppard, as it was the first CD my Dad bought for me(pyromania baby!). I still have it too.

Side note: GnR's 15 years-in-the-making cd "Chinese Democracy" is supposed to be released within the next month(I will believe it when i see it). The only reason I mention it is because I was flipping through my brothers neverending subscription to Spin(He has been in the Army for 2 years now, and it just keeps coming to the house, lol) and there was a complete review for the album in the back. FWIW, the album got great reviews, I think a B+ or something like that. Surprised the s*** out of me.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
guns-n-roses.jpg

Not a hair band?

No. The only one that comes close if Adler. If longhair makes you a hair band, then you had better put Led Zep in the category. Many, many, many people still look like Izzy. Hairband is actually more than a look, it's the sound. Hairbands are the bands that most people in the US mistake for being Glam, which pisses me off. I hate the majority of the Hairband/Cock Rock crap, but I live for Glam.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
s*** man, I don't think that anyone remembers the last three.  I was heavily involved in the terrible late 80s rock scene, as was everyone else around me, and I didn't know anybody who owned their albums.  I'd actually go with groups like Whitesnake, Motley Crue, etc.  That terrible dated crap that people could remember because of the videos and such... 

No, no, trust me, people remember. You want to make money? Sell your original Pretty Boy Floyd "Leather Boys With Electric Toys" on eBay.

You want to make SERIOUS money, get ahold of an original copy of either of the Heart Throb Mob Cd's, Alleycat Scratch, Swingin' Thing, or Spiral Fetish discs for eBay.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 06:59 AM)
Bon Jovi and "80s hair band"?? They continue to go strong playing full arenas on their own and just sold out Soldier Field. They don't belong in this group.

They may have survived, but make no doubt about it that they were at the forefront of the stuff. They transended it, but they were there.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 07:32 AM)
Nuke, I would have to go with Ratt.  As much as I was into the harder stuff, I still enjoyed some of the hair and makeup bands.  And Ratt was the best of those, for me.  Plus they had lots of hot chicks on their record albums.

B000002IGP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000002IHU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The first EP and Out Of The Cellar are great albums. Invasion Of Your Privacy had a great cover, and that was it. They had their songs here and there after OOTC, but that was it.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
The first EP and Out Of The Cellar are great albums. Invasion Of Your Privacy had a great cover, and that was it. They had their songs here and there after OOTC, but that was it.

I agree to a point. I was a kid when I listened to this stuff...if it came out now, I would probably think it sucked.