1. 1. Who are the kings of hair?

• Guns and Roses
    • Bon Jovi
    • Van Halen
    • Def Leppard
    • Warrant
    • Tesla
    • Other (please specify)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
I saw a cover band called 'Hairbanger's Ball' a few summers ago at some street fest.  They went through all the hair band hits.  We laughed our asses off the entire time at not only the band, but at the people really, really getting into it.

That band does BIG business.

It's cheesy as hell, but people seem to want to hear that stuff.

I'm not one of those people, but whatever, good luck to 'em.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Another chance to break out the old spandex???

:D

I know that would be Kid's reason.....

:finger  :lol:

I never wore "spandex". I wore some stretch jeans (still have them actually), but they just looked like black jeans. Hell, those are still worn by many, and I would still wear them if I wasn't forced to change my looks...thanks balding head.

Damn, you're a pain in the ass today.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
I never wore "spandex". I wore some stretch jeans (still have them actually), but they just looked like black jeans. Hell, those are still worn by many, and I would still wear them if I wasn't forced to change my looks...thanks balding head.

Damn, you're a pain in the ass today.

Subconsciously trying to get you slightly pissed at me so you're not mad if I no-show tomorrow, I'm guessin'....

:P

And I'm sure you meant to have SOME green in there....maybe a light avocado green....or a faded pine.....

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
I saw a cover band called 'Hairbanger's Ball' a few summers ago at some street fest.  They went through all the hair band hits.  We laughed our asses off the entire time at not only the band, but at the people really, really getting into it.

those guys roll through a venue in carbondale called The Copper Dragon at least 3 times a year, and they always sell it out

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Great topic.  Guns N Roses is decidedly not a "hair" band.  Best band of the late '90s.

When I think of hair bands, I picture Kip Winger.

I think you mean best band of the late 80's. 'Appetite' came out in '87 and it was all down hill from there for them. 'Bleach' by Nirvana came out in '89 and thank God that was the beginning of the end for hair bands.

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Agreed, GnR do not fit the mold of hair band.  Outside of the video for Welcome to the Jungle, you don't see the guys with "big hair"

Van Halen never teased their hair, they just had bad hair.

Hair bands that I think are missing from this list:

Poison

Europe

Cinderella

Dokken

My vote would be for Poison.  Big Hair and Bad Metal

Poison was a bad oversight on my part. Cinderella was alright at best and Dokken had some quality stuff.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
I think you mean best band of the late 80's.  'Appetite' came out in '87 and it was all down hill from there for them.  'Bleach' by Nirvana came out in '89 and thank God that was the beginning of the end for hair bands.

Nirvana ( and I liked them A LOT ) get too much credit for the death of "hair metal".

The thing is, hair metal was killed by the recording industry, the same way the industry kills every other musical trend. By signing every single hair band out there, no matter how terrible, they oversaturated the market and made everyone sick of the genre.

(Let the record show, however, that I personally was never a fan of the "lighter" metal. While others were going to Bon Jovi and Poison shows, I was seeing Testament, Metallica and bands of that ilk.)

Nirvana just happened to have the first really catchy song of the next trend.

When Nevermind first came out, every metal and punk fan that I knew had the album and loved it. It's only in hindsight that this hatred gets put on Cobain by metalheads.

and I must repeat, big hair or not, GnR was NOT a hair-metal band. Not in any way, shape or form.

There were so many bands grouped into that genre that probably didnt fit whatsoever. Mr big, Nelson, poppy crap like that. The music industry definitely killed the genre. Everything is cyclical though, and bands like The Darkness keep that feeling alive(at least for me).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
Nirvana ( and I liked them A LOT ) get too much credit for the death of "hair metal".

The thing is, hair metal was killed by the recording industry, the same way the industry kills every other musical trend. By signing every single hair band out there, no matter how terrible, they oversaturated the market and made everyone sick of the genre.

(Let the record show, however, that I personally was never a fan of the "lighter" metal. While others were going to Bon Jovi and Poison shows, I was seeing Testament, Metallica and bands of that ilk.)

When Nevermind first came out, every metal and punk fan that I knew had the album and loved it. It's only in hindsight that this hatred gets put on Cobain by metalheads.

and I must repeat, big hair or not, GnR was NOT a hair-metal band. Not in any way, shape or form.

You rule. Plain and simple.

The best of the standard Hairband type of thing, the Poison thing, was easily Tigertailz.

http://www.tigertailz.co.uk/

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)

Oh I totally agree, Nirvana was just symbolic in terms of the changing of the guard. 'Alternative' or 'grunge' or 'underground' or 'indie' or whatever you wanna call it had always been around, it just never sold. In terms of commercial success and finally putting it on the board, Nirvana was the hair metal killer. Henry Rollins put it best, "it was revenge of the nerds."

I agree about GnR, 'Appetite' is a classic.

Appetite for Destruction is still one of the most Rocking albums ever. The question is, which song rocked harder, Nightrain or Mr. Brownstone

(Nighttrain)

Well I'm a west coast struttin'

One bad mother

Got a rattlesnake suitcase

Under my arm

Said I'm a mean machine

Been drinkin' gasoline

An honey you can make my motor hum

I got one chance left

In a nine live cat

I got a dog eat dog sly smile

I got a Molotov cocktail with a match to go

I smoke my cigarette with style

An I can tell you honey

You can make my money tonight

or

(Brownstone)

I get up around seven

Get outta bed around nine

And I don't worry about nothin' no

Cause worryin's a waste of my... time

The show usually starts around seven

We go on stage around nine

Get on the bus about eleven

Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

I was always partial to "Out Ta Get Me".

Sometimes it's easy to forget where you're goin'

Sometimes it's harder to leave

And everytime you think you know just what you're doin'

That's when your troubles exceed

They push me in a corner

Just to get me to fight but

They won't touch me

They preach and yell

And fight all night

You can't tell me

I lose my head

I close my eyes

They won't touch me

'Cause I got somethin'

I been buildin' up inside

I'm already gone

They're out to get me

They won't catch me

I'm innocent

So you can

Suck me

Take that one to heart

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
Van Halen - not a Hair Band (although I prefer the term Cock Rock).

Van Hagar - most definitely Power Ballad central.

Quiet Riot anyone?

And what about Night Ranger?

LOL, of course you do.

Damn Yankees anyone? Jackyl? Was Europe, Whitesnake or White Lion considered in this genre?

I dont know if this happens to anyone else, but when I read this thread I start singing "Cherry Pie" to myself. It is maddening.

Edited by kyyle23