HOORAY for the PGA!!!

Awesome to see pro atheletes stepping up to the plate, where worthless ownership won't do so.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-sports-print

New Orleans has had a PGA Tour event since 1938. The tournament normally receives little attention, tucked in the spring nowhere land between the Masters and U.S. Open.

That won't be the case this week. The Zurich Classic of New Orleans, which begins Thursday, represents a significant step for a region that desperately wants to return to normal.

Obviously, nothing has been the same since Hurricane Katrina hit last summer. The massive property damage included the TPC of Louisiana, which served as host for last year's tournament.

The PGA Tour, though, decided not to abandon New Orleans. Last fall, it became the first major sports entity to commit to returning to the city, deciding to have the event at the English Turn Golf and Country Club.

Financially, the Zurich Classic generates about $25 million for a local economy that could really use it. But this goes deeper than cash.

David Toms, a native of Shreveport, La., says staging the tournament will show the rest of the world that New Orleans is bouncing back. It coincides with the city's Jazzfest, another sign of revival.

"These are the first two major events [other than Mardi Gras] that have been in the city since the hurricane," Toms said. "I think it's very important that we showcase not only the golf tournament and the golfers, but the city itself. Show people that the tourism part of it is up and running and ready for more visitors."

The PGA Tour tried to emphasize the message by bringing in CEOs of its major company sponsors for an economic forum. It allowed the business leaders to get a firsthand look at the recovery.

"We wanted to tell a positive story through the tournament about what's going to happen in New Orleans," PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said.

Phil Mickelson plans to bring his wife and three children to the tournament this weekend so they can get a sense of the destruction and rebuilding.

"I want them to see it as it rebuilds, to show them what we can do when Americans pull together," Mickelson said. "Much like New Yorkers did after 9/11. I think we are seeing something very similar here in New Orleans."

The PGA Tour's Louisiana natives have done their part to add to the recovery effort. Hal Sutton, through his foundation, provided medical services at shelters.

Kelly Gibson participated in the Feed the Relief Program, helping to deliver food to relief personnel. "Kelly was in the middle of it," Toms said.

Toms' foundation has contributed more than $1.5 million to aid the effort. He manned the phones at one point during a fundraiser.

"The people calling wanted to talk golf," Toms said. "I wanted their credit card information."

This year's tournament will have a purse of $6 million. The players are being asked to pledge a portion of their earnings to various Katrina-related charities. Mickelson said Wednesday he would donate all of his earnings this week. Considering he has won his last two tournaments, it could be a sizable chunk.

Asking the players to chip in is an unprecedented request by the PGA Tour. Then again, what happened to New Orleans is unprecedented.

"It's going to take a while, but I think you'll see an even better city and a fun place to visit like always," Toms said. "I'll go back to saying that it is very important that we have a successful PGA Tour event to show the world that New Orleans is up and running again."