Mario Williams to be #1 Pick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling about this earlier in the week. He may very well help the Texans more than Bush would have, and he'll almost certainly be cheaper.

New Orleans is going to get one hell of an arbor day president (That's today) if this report is true.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Because of this the main two ideas out there seem to be:

1.  New Orleans trades the #2 to GB for Walker, #5 and a third rounder

2.  Houston will trade back into the end of the first round and take a RB

I was thinking that scenario for GB before the draft. I thought with Davis at RB, they were set, and the Packers could still offer them a high draft pick....

Say the Texans trade back into the late first round...

Is Williams + White/Maroney > Bush?

Obviously the fans there are going to be pissed, but they do need a DE. If they had anything but the first pick, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with the above scenario.

If this is true, this is going to open up the floodgates for the Bush home controversy.

Now, you know you would be hard-pressed to find someone that loves the NFL Draft more than I, but, I just don't think I can handle six months of that house controversy.

You think the Favre thing was bad? You think the Roger Clemens thing is maddening?

Combine the two and then you'll have this story.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
If this is true, this is going to open up the floodgates for the Bush home controversy.

Now, you know you would be hard-pressed to find someone that loves the NFL Draft more than I, but, I just don't think I can handle six months of that house controversy.

You think the Favre thing was bad?  You think the Roger Clemens thing is maddening?

Combine the two and then you'll have this story.

Are you trying to say Bush is retiring? :P

If I were the Texans with Dom Davis and Vernand Morency(drafted just a year ago) yeah you could trade into the first a few spots and grab a back, although backs tend to fall and I bet one of those studs (Williams, White, Maroney) will somehow slip to the 2nd round-the top of it. However, with those two young backs, I wouldn't draft another. Now, I would have taken Reggie Bush but since you decided your backfield was strong enough, its time to work on the trenches with an o-lineman or some more front 7 help or a young corner. THat might help the Texans

Smartest decision ever..

Williams has the potential to be a star in this league... reggie bush, not so much

DD is a very good back, he was voted the Texans MVP for last season.. Im glad they didnt reward him by taking away his job

I knew they wouldnt be dumb enough to draft Reggie Bush, now they have a great defensive end to help that pathetic defense

Sanity proves victorious.

You just signed Dominack Davis to an extension, and you're going to draft a back #1 overall? Uh, ok...? That made no sense to me from the beginning.

This pick does make sense. They have a horseshart defense, and a defensive player that's normally going to be 1 on every board in any other year is available to you, it's obvious to me who you take. Houston fans may be pissed right now, but I don't think they will be come 2007 when they have one of the best defensive players in the league. Williams seems to be a quietly confident type of player who just busts balls to get better. There's obviously a bit of ego there, but his head isn't a friggin balloon. These are the types of players I want to not only succeed, but to become elite players - and I am not just talking about football here. I am talking any type of sport at all.

What will be fun to watch for is to see who does indeed get Bush now. I love Bush as a player too, and think he's going to be a dynamic back in the league for quite some time. If I were a betting man, I'm putting money on Green Bay...not that I am a fan of that, but that's what I figure ends up happening. I think the Jets are probably the team most interested in that spot other than Green Bay, and from what I can tell of Mangini, he wants to build from within the draft, collecting as many picks as he can. You are not going to accomplish that goal very well by trading up.