Mario Williams to be #1 Pick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
Your telling me basically everyone and there mother are wrong about Bush, and he doesnt have the potential to be a star?

You have WAY more football info than I do(doesnt take much at all) but come on.

I just personally feel that Bush wont be able to run between the tackles in the NFL.. Im not saying that he wont be a GOOD NFL player.. but I dont think he will be a star

Everyone and their mother have only seen what he can do in college against boys, and, I guess you really cant blame them for getting pumped up about him.. but I am just looking over this in the long term and personally dont feel he is going to be a star feature back in the NFL..

The Texans made an EXTREMELY smart move here.. They have zero need for Reggie Bush.. Now they get a stud on the defensive side of the ball which is a MAJOR need.. what they need to do next is address the offensive line and they will be able to turn the ship around a lot quicker than they would have by taking Reggie Bush..

I also feel now that the Jets are going to move up to take Bush..

1. Houston - Williams

2. New York - Bush

3. Tennessee - Leinart

4. New Orleans - Ferguson

I also saw this on Finheaven about how Culpepper blocked a trade to Tennessee

[Fox Sports] Jay Glazer recounts a little known story in his mock draft. According to Glazer, when the Vikings were shopping quarterback Daunte Culpepper, they pretty much had a done deal with Tennessee until Culpepper told them he wouldn't play there.

Why did Tennessee pursue Culpepper?

According to team sources, offensive coordinator Norm Chow coveted former USC pupil Matt Leinart, but didn't think he would be there at No. 3. This was before the Saints signed quarterback Drew Brees.

Chow didn't want Vince Young or Jay Cutler. So the Titans went after 'Pep.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
I do agree with this. I actaully think D'Brick would have been smart, but Williams obviously fills a big need.

I also think DBrick would have been a great fit but theres no way you take him #1 overall.. and obviously they didnt feel they could get enough to trade out of the #1 spot

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Kubiak was the offensive coordinator for Denver.

The last time Denver drafted a running back in the first round was like friggin 1932.

This is pretty much all starting to make sense.

They also had a studly OLine.. as soon as they fix the Texans line youll see just how good DD is

He has rushed for over 1,000 yards every year behind that crap line

The thing that's bothering me, if I were a Texans fan, I'd be sitting here driving myself insane wondering why the Hell they didn't try to trade down? How much do you think other teams would have given up to get their hands on Bush?

Go talk to the Jets, you could have gotten the #3 pick this year, and a couple of future #1's. Or the Packers. Get yourself AJ Hawk & a bunch of other picks. You probably could have found someone to do a Herschel Walker type mortgage to get their hands on Bush.

I understand the principle behind that move, but if there's such a huge consensus #1 pick like Reggie Bush, and you decide you're not going to take him, why not get something else as a bonus for passing on him? Hell I bet if nothing else the Saints would have given up something in exchange for swapping picks. And it would have saved the Texans even more money on the contract.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
They also had a studly OLine.. as soon as they fix the Texans line youll see just how good DD is

He has rushed for over 1,000 yards every year behind that crap line

It's also worth noting I think that the Texans still really haven't made any major improvements to that line IMO. Maybe they'll try in the later rounds, but eh...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
The thing that's bothering me, if I were a Texans fan, I'd be sitting here driving myself insane wondering why the Hell they didn't try to trade down? How much do you think other teams would have given up to get their hands on Bush?

Go talk to the Jets, you could have gotten the #3 pick this year, and a couple of future #1's. Or the Packers. Get yourself AJ Hawk & a bunch of other picks. You probably could have found someone to do a Herschel Walker type mortgage to get their hands on Bush.

I understand the principle behind that move, but if there's such a huge consensus #1 pick like Reggie Bush, and you decide you're not going to take him, why not get something else as a bonus for passing on him?  Hell I bet if nothing else the Saints would have given up something in exchange for swapping picks.  And it would have saved the Texans even more money on the contract.

I think Houston wanted either Bush or Williams. Those were the only two they wanted. By trading down to even 3, they are losing out on Williams guaranteed, because New Orleans seemed pretty much dead set on Williams or trade down.

They feel both are worthy of being the #1 pick, but with everything considered, Williams was more valuable to them than Bush.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
It's also worth noting I think that the Texans still really haven't made any major improvements to that line IMO.  Maybe they'll try in the later rounds, but eh...

They brought in a solid center in Mike Flanagan from GB, so if they draft some OLineman they all of the sudden are in better shape then they ever have been..

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
I think Houston wanted either Bush or Williams.  Those were the only two they wanted.  By trading down to even 3, they are losing out on Williams guaranteed, because New Orleans seemed pretty much dead set on Williams or trade down.

They feel both are worthy of being the #1 pick, but with everything considered, Williams was more valuable to them than Bush.

Still, given what they could have gotten for Bush, I think it's a big mistake for them to pass on what additional parts they could have gotten for him. It's not like either of those pieces were going to be the final key for the Texans, they still have a ton of holes they could have filled if they traded down.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Still, given what they could have gotten for Bush, I think it's a big mistake for them to pass on what additional parts they could have gotten for him.  It's not like either of those pieces were going to be the final key for the Texans, they still have a ton of holes they could have filled if they traded down.

Well they obviously tried to trade out of the #1 spot, but they most likely didnt feel it was enough compensation.. They are still getting what most people consder the best overall player in this draft

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I know this is about the Texans and Williams but I'd love to see Tennessee draft Young over Leinart, but with Norm Chow at Tennessee now I'd be surprised if they drafted Young.

That's really been the rumor over the last few days, a lot of people have Leinart falling. But with this mess, who the Hell knows.

Denver's secret is that they don't place a ton of value in the line in terms of draft choices or money, for the most part. They find guys who can do a certain thing and are kind of undervalued around the league. You can get those guys a little later on and I think the Texans will operate like that in the near future. When I heard about Mario WIlliams sack breakdowns, and I didn't see him in college really and nobody else really has outside of college football junkies or gambling addicts, it kind of worried me. Just remember Courtney BRown was supposed to be not a superstar but a historic superstar on D. JUst because its a less sexy position does NOT mean there is less risk. Peter King is reporting by the way that the Saints are pretty thrilled to take bUsh and won't really look to move out of that spot

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
Denver's secret is that they don't place a ton of value in the line in terms of draft choices or money, for the most part. They find guys who can do a certain thing and are kind of undervalued around the league. You can get those guys a little later on and I think the Texans will operate like that in the near future.  When I heard about Mario WIlliams sack breakdowns, and I didn't see him in college really and nobody else really has outside of college football junkies or gambling addicts, it kind of worried me. Just remember Courtney BRown was supposed to be not a superstar but a historic superstar on D. JUst because its a less sexy position does NOT mean there is less risk.  Peter King is reporting by the way that the Saints are pretty thrilled to take bUsh and won't really look to move out of that spot

Mario Williams reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor.. a tall athletic end with a great motor

The guy is 6'7, 295 lbs and runs a 4.7 40.. He is a beast, I cant wait to see him especially with the Texans games on CBS here every weekend

Isn't Taylor significantly lighter than that? I thought he was more undersized in terms of weight. I'm sorry but I think the Texans got cold-feet about marrying a 10 and will soon realize they are dating a 7 and won't know what the hell happened. Somebody is going to lose a job over this in time

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Isn't Taylor significantly lighter than that? I thought he was more undersized in terms of weight. I'm sorry  but I think the Texans got cold-feet about marrying a 10 and will soon realize they are dating a 7 and won't know what the hell happened. Somebody is going to lose a job over this in time

Taylor is 6'6 255

what I was basically gettin at here is the tall athletic part

So, Reggie Bush is a 10?....

Williams is going to be a very good defense end for them, in time people will forget this Bush talk and be happy they took Super Mario

I'll put it this way, even though I don't want to. Mario Williams was an inch taller, 15 pounds heavier, and actually ran a faster 40 time than Julius Peppers in the combine, he also outjumped Peppers by 3 inches with a 40 1/2 inch vertical leap. Julius has gotten bigger and faster since his combine days, but Mario is still a super freak. He's also only 21 years old. On the downside, Mario got 10 1/2 of his 14 1/2 sacks in 3 games, against somewhat sub-par competition in Wake Forest, Southern Miss, and Maryland. He's not as fluid of an athlete as Julius Peppers, but then again who is. He's certainly more athletic than Courtney Brown ever was, and will have more help on the defensive side of the ball than Brown ever did with the Browns.

Ive never been that in love with Bush and did not understand why the Texans would want him when they have Davis and Morency.

I think New Orleans is going to trade down to the highest bidder. With Brees and Deuce, it would be smarter if they did not select a Bush or Leinart, but instead got D'Brick. The only question they would have is how far could they move down?

NO probably could feel safe trading with the Jets and knowing that Bush and Leinart or Young are going to be the next 2 picks. I doubt Tenn drafts Ferguson, the only problem could be Tenn deciding to trade down if they are happy with either Young or Leinart.

No gm will sleep tonight.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Ive never been that in love with Bush and did not understand why the Texans would want him when they have Davis and Morency.

I think New Orleans is going to trade down to the highest bidder. With Brees and Deuce, it would be smarter if they did not select a Bush or Leinart, but instead got D'Brick. The only question they would have is how far could they move down?

NO probably could feel safe trading with the Jets and knowing that Bush and Leinart or Young are going to be the next 2 picks. I doubt Tenn drafts Ferguson, the only problem could be Tenn deciding to trade down if they are happy with either Young or Leinart.

No gm will sleep tonight.

Well, it's not like Deuce had the most dominant season in history last season either. 5 games, 335 total yards. His 2004 campaign wasn't his best either, went from 1600 yards down to 1000. So New Orleans could use it.

And if nothing else, if there's a team in the league that needs to generate a big buzz and sell tickets more than anyone else, I can't think of one that beats New Orleans. Hell, Reggie Bush could basically be given the job next fall of giving that franchise a reason to stay in NOLA.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Michael Irvin on SC saying it's horrible....."Defense doesn't win championships....being able to outscore the other team is what matters."

Worked well for Indy...

The Ravens and Bucs need to build a laugh track into their rings. Especially the Bucs, since that was the #1 D vs. #1 O year.