Ozzie and the ASG

mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Hate to say it, but it might be hard for Ozzie to actually bring Thome.  IIRC, the AS game is at a National League park this year, which means no DH's, and there's a ton of guys out there playing good 1b or with big reputations. Tex may get voted in again, Giambi, Shelton, PK, Sexson's sure to heat up at some point, Big Papi (He's got to be there somewhere), etc.

thome just needs to hit dingers cause SC has been covering those like its nothing. That will help him get votes regardless of stats.

Thome is not on the ballot, b/c there is no DH. Also, Papi is on as a 1B. At any rate, I don't think Ozzie will be able to completly stack it w/ his guys. Torre didn't excatly stack it w/ his guys either. IIRC, 4 Yankees were voted in by the fans, 2 more by coaches and players, and then Torre took 2 of his guys after representing every team that had no rep.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
of course they are, homeruns are the only thing that matters in baseball

duh

i'm just saying i don't mind screwing other players after years of sitting in the back seat. So as long as he stays on Sportscenter he can get the fans vote likely.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 1, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)

i'm just saying i don't mind screwing other players after years of sitting in the back seat. So as long as he stays on Sportscenter he can get the fans vote likely.

just as long as they don't play for the Yankees or Red Sox... leaving them off would be so unfair to those loyal, loyals fans.

Ozzie first has to see who the fans vote for. Then choose at least one player from every other team. I doubt any Sox players get voted in, so his choices could be somewhat limited.

The Sox haven't had a position player start since Frank in 1997.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

Ozzie first has to see who the fans vote for.  Then choose at least one player from every other team.  I doubt any Sox players get voted in, so his choices could be somewhat limited. 

The Sox haven't had a position player start since Frank in 1997.

When all is said and done, Ozzie gets to pick 7 players I think, 4 pitchers and 3 position players, or the other way around, depending on the final man ballot.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:17 AM)
When all is said and done, Ozzie gets to pick 7 players I think, 4 pitchers and 3 position players, or the other way around, depending on the final man ballot.

Wouldn't he choose all of the pitchers?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:17 AM)

That's not even close to how it's done.

Ozzie picks all of the pitchers, and all but the 8 voted starters and final man. He does have to make sure he selects a representative from each team, however.

That's not even close to how it's done.

Ozzie picks all of the pitchers, and all but the 8 voted starters and final man. He does have to make sure he selects a representative from each team, however.

What about the 8 back-ups for position players that are voted by coaches and players? We've got a 32 man roster, 9 players voted by fans, 8 more by players and coaches. That's 15 players left.