Jermaine Dye

Gregory Pratt

Am I the only one who thinks Dye's defense is underrated? We might've lost that game yesterday without him. By my count, he made three spectacular catches in right field that robbed the Angels of some major hits, including a homerun.

So here's to the former Gold Glover!

His defense isnt underrated to his team, or to us as fans. Name recognition usually goes hand in hand with selecting a Gold Glove, and guys like Guerrero have the sexy stat "outfield assists" to help them along. If there was a "game saving catch" stat or "diving catch" stat, I think Dye would be a regular gold glover.

lets see:

he's our smartest baserunner

he's our best arm in the outfield

he's a our second best defense in the outfield (i'll give brian that nod)

he's f***ing smoking the ball right now

and how much is he making?

maybe KWs best move last year

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 05:45 AM)
His defense isnt underrated to his team, or to us as fans.  Name recognition usually goes hand in hand with selecting a Gold Glove, and guys like Guerrero have the sexy stat "outfield assists" to help them along.  If there was a "game saving catch" stat or "diving catch" stat, I think Dye would be a regular gold glover.

Ummmm, I don't think there is a person in baseball that would tell you Vladdy is a better defensive outfielder than Dye. Vladdy may be the worse right fielder in all of baseball (defensively). The guy is hideous out there and thats coming from someone who goes to 30 or so Angel games a year.

If someone is implying Maggs was a poor defensive outfielder they are wrong. He wasn't a GGer, but he was a little above average out there, imo.

Now if your referring to having Everett out there after Maggs got hurt, well in that case you'd be correct...Dye is lightyears better.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Ummmm, I don't think there is a person in baseball that would tell you Vladdy is a better defensive outfielder than Dye.  Vladdy may be the worse right fielder in all of baseball (defensively).  The guy is hideous out there and thats coming from someone who goes to 30 or so Angel games a year.

People think he's a good defender because of his arm, I swear. The guy is absolutely horrendous out there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
People think he's a good defender because of his arm, I swear.  The guy is absolutely horrendous out there.

He may have an amazing arm, but the Sox tend to run on him all day long and its the right thing to do. He misses cut off man and rarely throws strikes. If he beats you on a perfect throw so be it, cause its so damn rare for him to really make a good throw.

And the guy is horrid, he'll drop 3-4 routine balls a year and that doesn't speak of the balls he lets drop because he is one of the few worse defensive right fielders in the game.

Garret Anderson is probably one of the worse defensive left fielders in the game too. The Angels need Erstad to regain his gold glove days in the OF ASAP cuase they got 2 AWFUL outfielders around him.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
He's a considerable defensive improvement considering our previous right fielder.

No way. Before the knee injury, Maggs was a very solid defensive RF.

Jermaine may not be very graceful, but he gets the job done.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
No way.  Before the knee injury, Maggs was a very solid defensive RF.

Jermaine may not be very graceful, but he gets the job done.

Maggs was about Average IMO. Average throwing arm, average range. I think Dye is an upgrade over him on both parts. Especially the Range, he's just a lot quicker out there than Ordonez ever was.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Maggs was about Average IMO.  Average throwing arm, average range.  I think Dye is an upgrade over him on both parts.  Especially the Range, he's just a lot quicker out there than Ordonez ever was.

Nah, I think that the '98-'03 Maggs was above average defensively. Certainly not Ichiro, but "average" is selling him short.

Dye quicker than the pre-injury Ordonez? I don't see it. If he is, it's not by much. I think that he gets better reads on balls, though.

Dye's defense last year was not good. He had more errors in the outfield than all but one player in the majors, but it's pretty hard to out-error Emil Brown. He had great arm strength, but would constantly miss the cutoff man. Dye would've been top three in the league in assists with a little more accuracy last year (no one is touching Manny's 17).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 04:49 AM)
I loved Maggs but Dye has been incredible.

MVP of the Series means he'll be beloved in Chicago til he dies and after.

Prob wont be remembered that much.... Konerko and Ozzie are probably the guys who will get the most love.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Prob wont be remembered that much....

MVP of the WORLD SERIES,= something we've never had in Chicago since the early 1900s. Got the game winning hit in the clincher. Man if he isn't remembered then we can just erase his stats right now.