This Law Doesn't Apply

Rex Kickass

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washingt...ndreds_of_laws/

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, ''whistle-blower" protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.

I always wonder if this is a standard operating procedure for a President and that every other President in the past couple hundred years did this as well. It could be quiet because it is routine.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
I always wonder if this is a standard operating procedure for a President and that every other President in the past couple hundred years did this as well. It could be quiet because it is routine.

I believe this graph appeared in the original BG article.

Blog_Bush_Signing_Statements.gif

But weren't Republicans the majority party the entire time Bush was in office?

Guessing at the numbers, I assume much of Dubyas involves the war on terror. Bush and Clinton didn't have to deal with a 9/11 type attack.

I dislike graphs and charts like this without understanding exactly what it repesents.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
But weren't Republicans the majority party the entire time Bush was in office?

Guessing at the numbers, I assume much of Dubyas involves the war on terror. Bush and Clinton didn't have to deal with a 9/11 type attack.

I dislike graphs and charts like this without understanding exactly what it repesents.

Actually, its been about just about everything.