What's up with Jenks?

VenomSox

Me:
I liked the call for Neal Cotts in the 9th, not just because there were two lefties due up, but because of the short-term implications that a third game in a row may have had on Bobby Jenks. Bobby's outings in the first two games had both been short, but if he was called on for the third time, you have to figure he would be out for at least one of the games with the Indians the next two days.
I'd like to have Bobby available for both games in Cleveland. It would suck to go to the 9th up a run at the Jake, and be forced to rely on Politte & Cotts.

QUOTE(VenomSox @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
It seems like Ozzie has been scared to use him the past two days. Or has it just been a lefty righty thing?

Well, he finished up the first two games against the Angels and pitched the last game in Seattle. How does Ozzie seemed "scared" to use him?

2 pitches, 2 outs i the 9th. Neal is more comfortable against RHBs and showed today. i thought it was a smooth call. i learned long ago, Trust Ozzies Judgement..... most of the time...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Me:I'd like to have Bobby available for both games in Cleveland. It would suck to go to the 9th up a run at the Jake, and be forced to rely on Politte & Cotts.

Duh, thats why we have Boone "Travis Hafner's Best Friend" Logan on our team :P

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
I was so pissed sitting at that game. That started Hafner on his huge tear that lasted for a few weeks.

Dude, Travis Hafner is not doing this because of Boone Logan. Yow.

Oh, and Ozzie was obviously doing lefty/righty. He wanted a lefty to pitch to Garret Anderson both times I believe, and as good as he has been in the past, it's worth being careful with him. Once Cotts got Anderson on one pitch, and with Erstadt up 3rd, there wasn't a great reason to bring out Bobby.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
It would suck to go to the 9th up a run at the Jake, and be forced to rely on Politte & Cotts.

Really? I'd say that Cotts is back in 2005 mode if his last 5 appearances are any indication. His upside = elite closer. I mean, s***, only one HR allowed in 60 IP last year? That's remarkable. Also:

2005: 4.5 BB/9 IP (1.94 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, .179 BAA)

2006: 2.7 BB/9 IP

If he can continue to keep the walks down, he will turn out to be even more effective than he was last year, which is a scary thought.

I have no problem with Cotts closing games for me.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Really?  I'd say that Cotts is back in 2005 mode if his last 5 appearances are any indication.  His upside = elite closer.  I mean, s***, only one HR allowed in 60 IP last year?  That's remarkable.  Also:

2005: 4.5 BB/9 IP (1.94 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, .179 BAA)

2006: 2.7 BB/9 IP

If he can continue to keep the walks down, he will turn out to be even more effective than he was last year, which is a scary thought.

I have no problem with Cotts closing games for me.

So, Neal Cotts has pitched 11 innings thus far. Over 11 innings, the difference between 4.5 and 2.7 BB/9IP is 2.2 walks. You're projecting an awful lot from 2 walks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
So, Neal Cotts has pitched 11 innings thus far.  Over 11 innings, the difference between 4.5 and 2.7 BB/9IP is 2.2 walks.  You're projecting an awful lot from 2 walks.

Really, the walks have Neal's only weakness. He allowed 30 in 60 IP last year. So far, he has only allowed 3 in 11 IP.

I mean, that's good, ain't it?