17-7

SnB

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
And we're even winning now when Thome isn't carrying us every game.

And ESPN still doesnt do any research. Mullet Brantley made a comment that Thome is a god send because he was able to carry the sox while Konerko got off to a slow start.

Konerko is off to a slow start? If this is a slow start, then the 65 million dollar deal was a freakin bargain.

The guys on "Talking Baseball" were saying that the Sox were almost boring, the way they are expected to win and are still winning and meeting the expectations.

I couldn't agree less.............there is NOTHING boring about it.

Now if those Tiggers and Injuns would just fade away a little bit.....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
The guys on "Talking Baseball" were saying that the Sox were almost boring, the way they are expected to win and are still winning and meeting the expectations.

I couldn't agree less.............there is NOTHING boring about it.

Now if those Tiggers and Injuns would just fade away a little bit.....

I was talking to greasy about sort of the same thing. Not the boring part but how it seems that 17 and 7 is just meh. We're the best team in baseball right now and right now it doesnt feel like we're playing anywhere near our full potential. This team is scary good, especially with Neal coming around and the bullpen really starting to look much stronger as of late.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
I was talking to greasy about sort of the same thing.  Not the boring part but how it seems that 17 and 7 is just meh.  We're the best team in baseball right now and right now it doesnt feel like we're playing anywhere near our full potential.  This team is scary good, especially with Neal coming around and the bullpen really starting to look much stronger as of late.

Great point some of our player didnt start heating up until late in the month (pods/bullpen) lately we have shown in the late games that our bullpen has been able to finish the job and we have a team that can hit pitch and do it all. Im excited and am looking forward to this next month. BTW what was last years record for the month of may.

It's not so much boredom as it is that last year, we were playing so well and winning close games and exceeding low expectations and we were trying to rid the whole 1917 thing and all that. Now this year, we aren't even playing at full potential and we are the defending champs with high expectations and (until this weekend) a lot of our wins weren't all that close. Just a different mindset to be honest, which isn't a bad thing.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Great point some of our player didnt start heating up until late in the month (pods/bullpen)  lately we have shown in the late games that our bullpen has been able to finish the job and we have a team that can hit pitch and do it all.  Im excited and am looking forward to this next month.  BTW what was last years record for the month of may.

18 and 10 I believe.

The hitting so far is as good as it will ever be. The pitching outside of four games has been extremely f***ing good... to a point that i highly doubt they will be able to pitch better.

I find it unlikely that the sox have a better month this season.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
The hitting so far is as good as it will ever be. The pitching outside of four games has been extremely f***ing good... to a point that i highly doubt they will be able to pitch better.

Hmm....the bullpen hasn't been all that great, as good as a few hitters have been, a few others have been subpar, and I disagree about the starters, who can overall (here's looking at you Judy and Freddy) pitch better IMO.

Unless of course, this was simply a bait post.....

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)

You really never know.....when the weather starts gettin a little warmer I think you are in for a big suprise....

Finally made it to #1000

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)

I agree. I mean, winning 70% of your games in one month is f***ing insane. If we won 70% of our games all season long, we'd finish with 115 wins.

16-3 could turn out to be the best 19 game stretch for any team in the majors this year.

Not to mention that May's going to be a tough month for the Sox.

Tougher series include the Indians, Angels, Twins, Cubs, A's, Jays and Injuns again.

The only "softer" series I see would be the Mariners, Royals and Rays.

The Sox should do fine, but that schedule doesn't seem to lend itself to a record-setting W-L record.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Not to mention that May's going to be a tough month for the Sox.

Tougher series include the Indians, Angels, Twins, Cubs, A's, Jays and Injuns again.

The only "softer" series I see would be the Mariners, Royals and Rays.

The Sox should do fine, but that schedule doesn't seem to lend itself to a record-setting W-L record.

There just aren't many soft series in the al this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)
Hmm....the bullpen hasn't been all that great, as good as a few hitters have been, a few others have been subpar, and I disagree about the starters, who can overall (here's looking at you Judy and Freddy) pitch better IMO.

Unless of course, this was simply a bait post.....

The sox currently stand at 4.3 bullpen era. Last year the team bullpen era was 3.23 which was second best in the american league (to the indians) and third in all of baseball (cardinals) Realistically, i see the sox in the 3.7-4.0 range this year.... holds will also be down from the 78 last year (only 8 this month)

The white sox best hitters on the team are currently smoking the ball. The white sox worst hitters on the team podsednik... anderson... uribe (ops wise anyway) are currently hitting the worst. So what happens when dye, konerko, and thome all drop their current ops's down 0.200 points at the very least and the other three raise theirs only .100-.150. The teams best three hitters combined for over an ops of .1000? Chances that happens again is unlikely. Once buehrle and contreras's era start going up and garland's and garcia's start coming back to earth (still of course not a big fan of either) there will only be a small difference in era. I have much more faith in politte putting up a solid era/whip for us than i do of thornton or logan ever doing anything succesful for this team. Thorton? Looks exactly the same as when he was with the mariners. I take that back... he actually looks worse... and his numbers back up that claim. Logan? As most everyone knows he does not deserve a spot on this roster. I do not want to hear... well we are just hiding him and trying to get him in the game at the right time. The right time is always when up or down by seven runs he does not belong on the roster. There is someone... some where that can throw the innings he recieves in a more needy spot. If boone logan was right handed he would be working at some local store @ his hometown instead of on a major league roster where he clearly has no place on.

Even when we get soxtalks approval of when the team is playing their best baseball... guess what? There will still be a couple hitters that cannot do s***... a bullpen arm or two that is struggling... and probally a starter thrown in that is getting bailed out by the offense.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
The sox currently stand at 4.3 bullpen era. Last year the team bullpen era was 3.23 which was second best in the american league (to the indians) and third in all of baseball (cardinals) Realistically, i see the sox in the 3.7-4.0 range this year.... holds will also be down from the 78 last year (only 8 this month)

The white sox best hitters on the team are currently smoking the ball. The white sox worst hitters on the team podsednik... anderson... uribe (ops wise anyway) are currently hitting the worst. So what happens when dye, konerko, and thome all drop their current ops's down 0.200 points at the very least and the other three raise theirs only .100-.150. The teams best three hitters combined for over an ops of .1000? Chances that happens again is unlikely. Once buehrle and contreras's era start going up and garland's and garcia's start coming back to earth (still of course not a big fan of either) there will only be a small difference in era. I have much more faith in politte putting up a solid era/whip for us than i do of thornton or logan ever doing anything succesful for this team. Thorton? Looks exactly the same as when he was with the mariners. I take that back... he actually looks worse... and his numbers back up that claim. Logan? As most everyone knows he does not deserve a spot on this roster. I do not want to hear... well we are just hiding him and trying to get him in the game at the right time. The right time is always when up or down by seven runs he does not belong on the roster. There is someone... some where that can throw the innings he recieves in a more needy spot. If boone logan was right handed he would be working at some local store @ his hometown instead of on a major league roster where he clearly has no place on.

Even when we get soxtalks approval of when the team is playing their best baseball... guess what? There will still be a couple hitters that cannot do s***... a bullpen arm or two that is struggling... and probally a starter thrown in that is getting bailed out by the offense.

Freddy and Jon's era's are going to go down more then Mark's and JC's are going to go up. Thornton can actually throw strikes now and I don't know how you can say he looks worse with his numbers backing that up but whatever. Agreed on the offense though, we're hitting about as well as we can hit as a team.

May:

- 29 Total Games

- 14 Home Games

- 15 Away Games

- 14 Games vs Teams with a .500 or better record

- 15 Games vs Teams with a record below .500

- 12 Division Games

- Only 2 days off in the entire month

- Good shot at 18-20 wins for the month of May.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 1, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
Freddy and Jon's era's are going to go down more then Mark's and JC's are going to go up.  Thornton can actually throw strikes now and I don't know how you can say he looks worse with his numbers backing that up but whatever.  Agreed on the offense though, we're hitting about as well as we can hit as a team.

One or two good/bad starts... and everyone is back pretty much equal. This time of season can still be very helpful... and hurtful to an era in just one or two starts. Not worth looking much into a mid five era at this point in the season.

Thornton? Thornton currently has pitched 5.2 innings this season and has given up seven hits and walked five. Sure in his last three outings, which was a total of 1.2 innings pitched... he looked alright. Fact of the matter is what he has done with the sox through his brief time in spring training up until this point is no different than what he did with the mariners and the minors. He will pound the strike zone one outing (threw 19 out of 22 pitches for strikes one outing for the sox) and he is also capable of not even throwing 40% of his pitches in the strike zone. I said it the second we got him... he is capable of stringing together multiple good outings that he looks focused and in command...then again he is extremely capable or giving up big innings and losing everything he just had going for him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
One or two good/bad starts... and everyone is back pretty much equal. This time of season can still be very helpful... and hurtful to an era in just one or two starts. Not worth looking much into a mid five era at this point in the season.

Thornton? Thornton currently has pitched 5.2 innings this season and has given up seven hits and walked five. Sure in his last three outings, which was a total of 1.2 innings pitched... he looked alright. Fact of the matter is what he has done with the sox through his brief time in spring training up until this point is no different than what he did with the mariners and the minors. He will pound the strike zone one outing (threw 19 out of 22 pitches for strikes one outing for the sox) and he is also capable of not even throwing 40% of his pitches in the strike zone. I said it the second we got him... he is capable of stringing together multiple good outings that he looks focused and in command...then again he is extremely capable or giving up big innings and losing everything he just had going for him.

You forget to mention that 3 of those walks were intentional, and another one was yesterday when that was his first outing since April 13th. So far he looks completely different then he did with Seattle. I'm not sure if it's going to last but as of now he definitely looks better.

Edited by Rowand44

Things to do before August 1.

1. Replace "Boone's Farm" Logan with a more reliable RP.

2. Get Garland's head out of his ass.

3. Convince Freddy to give up the ganja.

4. Explain to Pods that he needs to not use his groin at home so that he can use it at work to steal bases.