Time to bench uribe?

soxfan3530

We should just all pick players and weeks to have the "should proven everday player X be demoted" thread.

Next week I'll take Iguchi.

Give it up guys--Uribe is one of the best defensive shorts in the game, and has proven to be a good hitter for his position as well. There is no sane reason not to expect him to start 150 games or so--and to have a good season.

Cintron is a backup, he's not a full time starter, not on a championship quality team.

This team won with pitching and defense last year. We all know that Uribe isnt doing well right now at the plate, but we can not afford to take his glove out of the lineup. As long as he doesnt take his at bats to the field he will be fine. Uribe has always been a very streaky hitter in his carrer, and I bet once he starts hitting well, the guy that made this tread will say he has been supporting Uribe all along.

If he's hitting .200 in July and his defense is weaker than it is now (took him a long time to get that first error didn't it?) then we'll talk.

Otherwise, someone just needs to tell Greg Walker to get his arse in gear.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
If he's hitting .200 in July and his defense is weaker than it is now (took him a long time to get that first error didn't it?) then we'll talk.

Anyone know why Uribe has abandoned that timing mechanism he had, lifting his left leg slowly as the pitcher began his windup, that seemed to work so well for him at the end of last year and the playoffs?

QUOTE(Damen @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Anyone know why Uribe has abandoned that timing mechanism he had, lifting his left leg slowly as the pitcher began his windup, that seemed to work so well for him at the end of last year and the playoffs?

Not a clue, but I was actually hoping someone would sit down with him and make some wholesale changes to his swing this offseason. His mistake should be obvious to anyone watching his swing; his head dives forwards like 2 feet every time he swings, so the ball has to absolutely dance to his eyes.

IMO, someone ought to try the same thing people did with Andruw Jones on him...spread Uribe's legs out, get his balance better, and teach him how to swing while holding his head more steady so that he can actually see the ball coming in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Not a clue, but I was actually hoping someone would sit down with him and make some wholesale changes to his swing this offseason.  His mistake should be obvious to anyone watching his swing; his head dives forwards like 2 feet every time he swings, so the ball has to absolutely dance to his eyes.

IMO, someone ought to try the same thing people did with Andruw Jones on him...spread Uribe's legs out, get his balance better, and teach him how to swing while holding his head more steady so that he can actually see the ball coming in.

His swing is not the problem. Its his footwork in the box when he starts his swing. Last year they had him fixed. Uribe has a propensity to fly open. His front leg will step in the bucket towards third, his body commits before the ball is in the hitting zone, and at that point he has a hard time centering up the ball on the outerhalf. It makes him spin out. Last year they had him using a leg kick timing mechanism to fix him. The timing wasnt the issue, its the fact that when he started using this he strides towards the pitchers plate and keeps closed off. This allows him to keep level through the hitting zone and hit with power. For whatever reason so far this year, he has stopped using that same leg kick. In the weekened series, his front leg was stepping towards third and he was opening up completely before the ball went through the zone. On the game last weekend he kept closed off and drove through the zone. Hopefully they are working with him, and he remembers something that made him a dangerous hitter in the back of the lineup.

Edited by southsideirish71

Even though Juan "I'll Swing at Literally Anything" Uribe is roadkill at the plate right now--are you kidding me?

He is arguably the best defensive shortstop in the game. Whatever he lacks at the plate he makes up for on "D". That's the tradeoff with him.

Last year, or two years ago, the same was said about Crede--great 3B but bad hitter. And look what happened. Patience. Patience.

That said, he should hit a lot better than he does. But I do not want ANYBODY else at SS when a game's on the line.

If we have learned anything about Uribe, outside of being an outstanding defensive player, its that he is a crazy streaky hitter. He'll go through stretches that make you wonder if he'll ever get a hit again. And then he'll follow it up with a stretch that makes you wonder if he'll ever stop mashing. I wish he would balance it off and manage some consistancy over the course of a year, but he is what he is. Either way, I'd take him over 80% of the shortstops around the league.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
His swing is not the problem.  Its his footwork in the box when he starts his swing.  Last year they had him fixed.  Uribe has a propensity to fly open.  His front leg will step in the bucket towards third, his body commits before the ball is in the hitting zone, and at that point he has a hard time centering up the ball on the outerhalf. It makes him spin out.  Last year they had him using a leg kick timing mechanism to fix him.  The timing wasnt the issue, its the fact that when he started using this he strides towards the pitchers plate and keeps closed off.  This allows him to keep level through the hitting zone and hit with power.  For whatever reason so far this year, he has stopped using that same leg kick.  In the weekened series, his front leg was stepping towards third and he was opening up completely before the ball went through the zone.  On the game last weekend he kept closed off and drove through the zone.  Hopefully they are working with him, and he remembers something that made him a dangerous hitter in the back of the lineup.

Good description. Thanks.

last time i looked we just swept the angels and are doing very well this year,uribe is not going to get benched,ozzie will let him play it out.

My thought?

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

We should just all pick players and weeks to have the "should proven everday player X be demoted" thread.

Next week I'll take Iguchi.

Give it up guys--Uribe is one of the best defensive shorts in the game, and has proven to be a good hitter for his position as well. There is no sane reason not to expect him to start 150 games or so--and to have a good season.

Cintron is a backup, he's not a full time starter, not on a championship quality team.

No

Uribe's one of the best defensive shortstops in the league. Why the hell would you want to bench him?

If history tells us anything, Uribe will hit .350 in May.

This team won with pitching and defense last year. We all know that Uribe isnt doing well right now at the plate, but we can not afford to take his glove out of the lineup. As long as he doesnt take his at bats to the field he will be fine. Uribe has always been a very streaky hitter in his carrer, and I bet once he starts hitting well, the guy that made this tread will say he has been supporting Uribe all along.

Even though Juan "I'll Swing at Literally Anything" Uribe is roadkill at the plate right now--are you kidding me?

He is arguably the best defensive shortstop in the game. Whatever he lacks at the plate he makes up for on "D". That's the tradeoff with him.

Last year, or two years ago, the same was said about Crede--great 3B but bad hitter. And look what happened. Patience. Patience.

That said, he should hit a lot better than he does. But I do not want ANYBODY else at SS when a game's on the line.

bushgrimace.jpg

If we have learned anything about Uribe, outside of being an outstanding defensive player, its that he is a crazy streaky hitter. He'll go through stretches that make you wonder if he'll ever get a hit again. And then he'll follow it up with a stretch that makes you wonder if he'll ever stop mashing. I wish he would balance it off and manage some consistancy over the course of a year, but he is what he is. Either way, I'd take him over 80% of the shortstops around the league.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What they said.