today's "boycott"

samclemens

How much of an impact do you think today's boycott will have?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How much of an impact do you think today's boycott will have?

• no impact; this will hurt the amnesty movement
    • a moderate impact; illegals are important to our economy
    • a huge impact; w/out illegals our economy is doomed

directed answers, i know...but they do seem to represent the general attitudes i have been able to pick up around the web. you can probably guess which one i picked (the first one), but i wanted to see what the general attitude is here.

in my opinion, this boycott will serve to (at least) partially defeat the cause for amnesty for illegals when it becomes apparent how little effect on the economy they will have.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I'm confused by your choices, how can it have no impact and hurt the amnesty movement?

if the boycott has no impact on the economy, it will defeat the cause of the boycott today. the entire purpose of the boycott is to show how much of an impact "immigrant" (illegal) workers have on the economy and how important they are and why we have to grant them amnesty. if there is no impact on the economy, it will prove the complete opposite of what the boycotters are trying to prove.

I'll steal this thread for those who want to give a little bit of info of the goings on. I just did a little walking around, and already some decent size crowds and smaller marches have begun downtown.

A couple of early pics

I'll try to grab more pics after work if possible.

QUOTE(samclemens @ May 1, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
if the boycott has no impact on the economy, it will defeat the cause of the boycott today. the entire purpose of the boycott is to show how much of an impact "immigrant" (illegal) workers have on the economy and how important they are and why we have to grant them amnesty. if there is no impact on the economy, it will prove the complete opposite of what the boycotters are trying to prove.

I wasn't certain what you were trying to "impact", I thought you meant impact on the immigration reform debate.

There will be a bit of a backlash, but ultimately it will be a positive for the movement because it will empower tens of thousands who may never have participated politically before.

Keep this in mind: This movement of protests started when a bill passed the house that would instantly felonize 12 million people and make it a felony to give a homeless immigrant a place to stay or a hot meal at a soup kitchen.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 1, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
Keep this in mind: This movement of protests started when a bill passed the house that would instantly felonize 12 million people and make it a felony to give a homeless immigrant a place to stay or a hot meal at a soup kitchen.

And that's coincidence. That's not the direct reason for the inital protests.

Each person probably has their own reasons, and I'm guessing, some of the reasons are, it beats working, it's a parade, a chance to get laid, have a couple beers, make a difference, be a part of something big

They are closing down a lot of the downtown area out here or at least thats what htey were saying on the news yesterday.

Bunch of BS if you ask me. I think we all know mexican american workers are important to our society, however, at the same time you have to draw the line somewhere since our tax payers are brunting the costs of a lot of illegals.

I like the idea of a new amnesty program since in a few years time it should get the whole border situation a little more cleaned up.

However, once the amnesty program goes into effect, we should tighten up the borders otherwise so many people will be coming over to take advantage of the program.

i don't understand why they are skipping school...it made me lol when i read that. Boycotting school would do the opposite effect of making it harder to operate...the less people makes it operate smoother.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
i don't understand why they are skipping school...it made me lol when i read that. Boycotting school would do the opposite effect of making it harder to operate...the less people makes it operate smoother.

My wife and I at first wondered about the rationale for keeping the kids out of school (she works at a school that is ~40% Mexican immigrant labor kids. We came to the conclusion that the thinking was:

– that it was important to show the family connections at the rallies themselves - the ripple effect of whatever legislation is enacted through multiple generations in the community, and

– to allow the effects felt at the workplaces and retail points of purchase to also be felt in other areas where immigrant presence and participation is important, such as in the classroom.

Edit to add: My wife also amailed me today and said that while attendance in class was indeed sparse today it has also been a hard to control day because everything is out of sorts.

I hope a lot of teachers across the country utilize the "teachable moment" presented to them today, to let the students in attendance today speak honestly about what they think of all this, do they prefer the environment with or without the diversity, etc.

Even in middle school my wife's students experience tension on these issues coming from both sides. Their self-proclaimed 'hicks and spics' balance of power is quite a good microcosm of American social tension.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 1, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
My wife and I at first wondered about the rationale for kaaping the kids out of school (she works at a school that is ~40% Mexican immigrant labor kids.  We came to the conclusion that the thinking was:

– that it was important to show the family connections at the rallies themselves - the ripple effect of whatever legislation is enacted through multiple generations in the community, and

– to allow the effects felt at the workplaces and retail points of purchase to also be felt in other areas where immigrant presence and participation is important, such as in the classroom.

Edit to add:  My wife also amailed me today and said that while attendance in class was indeed sparse today it has also been a hard to control day because everything is out of sorts.

I hope a lot of teachers across the country utilize the "teachable moment" presented to them today, to let the students in attendance today speak honestly about what they think of all this, do they prefer the environment with or without the diversity, etc.

Even in middle school my wife's students experience tension on these issues coming from both sides.  Their self-proclaimed 'hicks and spics' balance of power is quite a good microcosm of American social tension.

thank you.

although i have to say...the thought of a million or so kids removed from the CP schools is somewhat exciting in the personal attention those kids could receive. Even though this comes at the expense of many peoples future...which is a double edged sword.

Well I just walked from Wabash to Jefferson down Adams, and basically Downtown is a ghost town outside of Jackson. The whole city is out of sorts, Jackson is closed, almost every North and South street is barricaded at Adams.

The noise though is insane. When the crowd starts cheering you can feel it.

The biggest impact will just be the sheer magnitude. When so many people, and its not just Mexican's, there are plenty of flags I saw atleast 2 Polish flags, get together for a common cause, there voices eventually are heard.