Too early to worry??

Capn12

I hate to start the "The sky is falling!!" talk this early about one of our players, but is it too early to start worrying about Garland? Your thoughts? Considering we've got a decent amount of money tied up in Jon for the next 2+ years, do we have a cause for concern?

Contract Info:

06:$7M, 07:$10M, 08:$12M

2006 Stats so far:

Player   W L  ERA  G GS CG SHO SV SVO  IP   H  R  ER HR HBP BB SO   
Garland  2 1 7.11  5  5  0  0   0  0  31.2 42 25  25  6  0   6 17

Thats an alarming HR/IP rate, and the WHIP isn't something to write home about either.

Thoughts?

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:56 AM)
I hate to start the "The sky is falling!!" talk this early about one of our players, but is it too early to start worrying about Garland? Your thoughts? Considering we've got a decent amount of money tied up in Jon for the next 2+ years, do we have a cause for concern?

Contract Info:

06:$7M, 07:$10M, 08:$12M

2006 Stats so far:

Player   W L  ERA  G GS CG SHO SV SVO  IP   H  R  ER HR HBP BB SO   
Garland  2 1 7.11  5  5  0  0   0  0  31.2 42 25  25  6  0   6 17

Thats an alarming HR/IP rate, and the WHIP isn't something to write home about either.

Thoughts?

Judy's back.

I think he already has blown any chance to duplicate his stats from last season, but it probably wasn't very realistic to think he would be able to match that again. He obviously still has ability, but if his control is off a bit, he's extremely hittable. I think he can bounce back and still be effective this season, and I think with his salary bouncing up a couple of million for next, he's KW's #1 poker chip next offseason. IMO, if he's tradeable next offseason, he's gone.

I think the extra month last year took a toll on Freddy and Jon, more than they are letting on. I think you will see Ozzie be cautious with them, and utilize McCarthy and the rest of the middle guys a lot more than he ususally would.

Season-long view I think Garland will be fine, but I think the big thing is that he hasn't pitched inside nearly enough, and needs to be paired with AJ every chance he gets to force him to get that agression back.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 2, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
I think it will be Garica, but the season is still young....

You think it'll happen this year?

I would hope Garcia would be the odd man out also, but I wonder if Ozzie has enough say that he would keep his family on the team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
I think the extra month last year took a toll on Freddy and Jon, more than they are letting on.  I think you will see Ozzie be cautious with them, and utilize McCarthy and the rest of the middle guys a lot more than he ususally would.

Season-long view I think Garland will be fine, but I think the big thing is that he hasn't pitched inside nearly enough, and needs to be paired with AJ every chance he gets to force him to get that agression back.

I would tend to agree with Freddy, but not necassarily with Jon. He only had 2 more starts(LAA and Houston), and did not pitch during the Boston series.

I think Garland is going to have a good May, he seems to be getting a lot of his movement back in his pitches, the pitches he has been getting rocked on have been flattened out sinkers right down the heart of the plate. And i also agree that he needs to be paired with AJ as much as possible, AJ just calls a great game.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 2, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I would tend to agree with Freddy, but not necassarily with Jon.  He only had 2 more starts(LAA and Houston), and did not pitch during the Boston series. 

I think Garland is going to have a good May, he seems to be getting a lot of his movement back in his pitches, the pitches he has been getting rocked on have been flattened out sinkers right down the heart of the plate.  And i also agree that he needs to be paired with AJ as much as possible, AJ just calls a great game.

Not only does he call a great game, he refuses to let pitchers get into bad patterns. He will go out and straighten out a pitcher PDQ if they get out of what he wants them to do, and it seems like Jon needs that kick in the pants right now. I think he will be fine, finish with 16ish wins and an era of about 4-4.25.

For the record, I'm worried.

I'm not worried that he'll go 8-16 with a 6.50 ERA

I'm worried that the Sox paid $27 million over three years for a guy who is going to go:

12-12 4.56 ERA

13-12 4.48 ERA

14-11 4.12 ERA

in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
I can't see Garcia getting traded, as long as Ozzie is our manager.

From a business and best for the ballclub scenario, Freddy will be the first to go. I think that Ozzie knows that. We were close to dealing him this offseason according to KW.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
From a business and best for the ballclub scenario, Freddy will be the first to go.  I think that Ozzie knows that.  We were close to dealing him this offseason according to KW.

I was pretty sure that was a typo, and they meant Garland or Contreras in the article. Trust me, I'd be thrilled if Garcia is the pitcher to go.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ May 2, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
For the record, I'm worried.

I'm not worried that he'll go 8-16 with a 6.50 ERA

I'm worried that the Sox paid $27 million over three years for a guy who is going to go:

12-12  4.56 ERA

13-12  4.48 ERA

14-11  4.12 ERA

in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

I understand what you are saying, but what always gets lost in that discussion is the innings he eats. He's like Buehrle in that way. Yes, it is a lot of money for a .500 pitcher with a 4-5 ERA. But, I think they would keep him over Freddy. Ozzie understands it's a business first and will deal with it when it happens.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
I was pretty sure that was a typo, and they meant Garland or Contreras in the article.  Trust me, I'd be thrilled if Garcia is the pitcher to go.

I'm sure that Kenny has spoken to Ozzie about separating business from personal matters. If KW thinks that dealing Garcia this winter will put us in a better position to win, he'll do it.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Widger causes everyone to have bad starts... Even Buherle had a bad start with Widger behind the plate...

Last year the non-Cubans were pretty good with Widger, but this year it just hasn't been, and it's starting to become a genuine trend now.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Widger causes everyone to have bad starts... Even Buherle had a bad start with Widger behind the plate...

I know, Buehrle looked pretty damn good early on, his fastball was poppin, curve was breaking big time and his change was crazy unhittable but Widger still managed to screw it up. Maybe it's time for him to hang it up and for Stewart to take over now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
I know, Buehrle looked pretty damn good early on, his fastball was poppin, curve was breaking big time and his change was crazy unhittable but Widger still managed to screw it up. Maybe it's time for him to hang it up and for Stewart to take over now.

I wouldn't complain... every game he catches turns to s***... and I won't miss him...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)

Buehrle has had his share of mediocre and bad games with other catchers behind the plate.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Buehrle has had his share of mediocre and bad games with other catchers behind the plate.

Your right... Widger is a game calling GOD!!!! Every pitcher he was caught this year just happens to have off days on the days HE CATCHES THEM!!! :bang

Its not like hes walking a lot of people, he has just been getting hit a lot.. I think that will eventually settle back down and he should pick it up, he has improved in each start..

I dont know how Cabrera hit that HR off him, that was a good pitch, tight and insde..