Gamethread 5-2-05 vs. Cleveland Injuns

Capn12

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
he's a free swinger, but he's also a fantastic fielder. He's not going to stay below .200 for long, he'll warm up.

'Free swinger' is one way of putting it, I have nothing but love for his D.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

The White Sox were behind the 8 ball after the first inning. Even if Guillen hadn't started the subs they would've played anyways. It wasn't Buehrle's day today.

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Buehrle giving up 3 runs in the 1st inning wouldn't have helped the regulars, let alone the subs. This loss I pin solely on Buehrle's performance and he'll be the first to tell us that once this game is over. Plus, JD's was trying to play hurt and it was a good move by Ozzie to take him out when it started raining. No need to keep playing him when it was obvious early on this wasn't the Sox' game to win.

I have no problem resting JD - he's hurt for Hawk's sake. Now, resting Pods - that I have a problem with. I know C.C. is a lefty, but I also think resting Thome after the rough crowd yesterday smacks of girliness in the minds of the Indian faithful. Actually, what other reason could there be for resting the DH? Is the on deck circle that far away from the batter's box?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
19 men LOB is also an issue today.

We had guys  and then turned it over the back end of our lineup, who did nothing.

Cintron 5 left on

Uribe 4 left on

Widger 3 left on

Weve had 2 on with 2 out at LEAST 5 times by my count so far and we have had ZERO base hits in those situations

I am not counting Credes little infield hit

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Boone looked good, would loved to have seen him face off against Hafner as that's going to happen down the line.

He did last series.

Hafner hit a monster HR off of him.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Problem is this is Tuesday against someone who could give us problems this year

Now we know, and Ozzie should adjust next time against Cleveland. Perhaps rest some starters with Vasquez, and have them available fore Buehrle.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
The White Sox were behind the 8 ball after the first inning.  Even if Guillen hadn't started the subs they would've played anyways.  It wasn't Buehrle's day today.

Yep...it happens. This is only the third time this season where we were just outplayed from the start, and didn't have a chance. If you can consistently stay in games at a 85-90 pct rate, you're going to win a lot of games.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I have no problem resting JD - he's hurt for Hawk's sake.  Now, resting Pods - that I have a problem with.  I know C.C. is a lefty, but I also think resting Thome after the rough crowd yesterday smacks of girliness in the minds of the Indian faithful.  Actually, what other reason could there be for resting the DH? Is the on deck circle that far away from the batter's box?

Seriously, if there's one guy on this team I don't mind us coddling a bit, its Thome. The guy missed almost the whole season last year. He's been down a bit lately, we had 2 games in like 12 hours, might as well give him some time to gas back up.l

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
Now we know, and Ozzie should adjust next time against Cleveland. Perhaps rest some starters with Vasquez, and have them available fore Buehrle.

I really dont think we should ever put out anything less than our best lineup against Cleveland.. especially with the team they have

QUOTE(knightni @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
He did last series.

Hafner hit a monster HR off of him.

Yeah, I know. And you know Ozzie's going to put Boone in that situation later in the season so that's why I wished he faced Hafner again.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
I really dont think we should ever put out anything less than our best lineup against Cleveland.. especially with the team they have

If there was ever a game where it was going to happen, it was today. This road trip was a very tough schedule, and we should be thrilled that we went 5-3 on it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Seriously, if there's one guy on this team I don't mind us coddling a bit, its Thome.  The guy missed almost the whole season last year.  He's been down a bit lately, we had 2 games in like 12 hours, might as well give him some time to gas back up.l

Yeah, I appreciate your concern for his health and what he can do when healthy, but seriously - he is out of the dugout maybe ten minutes a game total. I am missing the logic here - I really am.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Yeah, I appreciate your concern for his health and what he can do when healthy, but seriously - he is out of the dugout maybe ten minutes a game total.  I am missing the logic here - I really am.

How about the fact he's looked awful at the plate for over a week now, and his timing looks way off? If we get 125 games out of Thome, I'll be thrilled.

Guest JimH
Yeah, I appreciate your concern for his health and what he can do when healthy, but seriously - he is out of the dugout maybe ten minutes a game total.  I am missing the logic here - I really am.

He has played in every game I believe. He has been working his ass off keeping his back in shape. Age 35, almost 36. Tough travel, emotional game for him last nite. Tons of media requests and demands. Sabathia starting.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)

Hopefully. We need full lineups for the Tigers and the Indians this year.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
I am missing the logic here - I really am.

Yes, yes you are.

The swings that Thome takes, on top of a balky back, plus short rest, short recovery, and two plane rides within 48 hours of each other, equals rest being a good thing for the Lumberjack. Resting him in one game is much better than him tweeking his back in a blowout, and either missing 15 days, or limping through the season with it as a nagging injury. Ozzie isn't stupid, despite the popular opinion on Soxtalk.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
If there was ever a game where it was going to happen, it was today.  This road trip was a very tough schedule, and we should be thrilled that we went 5-3 on it.

agreed. solid road trip early in the season. I'll take it.