Gamethread 5-2-05 vs. Cleveland Injuns

Capn12

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Yeah, I appreciate your concern for his health and what he can do when healthy, but seriously - he is out of the dugout maybe ten minutes a game total.  I am missing the logic here - I really am.

Last week, Thome hit .233 with a HR, 5 RBI, 2 walks and 13 K's. He needed a break.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
5-3 on this west coast/cle swing.  Pretty f***ing good if you ask me.

And 2 of those losses were in games where we rested a lot of our regulars. Note how the well rested regulars performed in the games where they were played.

I lifted this from Southsidesox.com

It was a gamethread post that quoted SHAFTR's diary entry.

Interesting stats.

All Starters: 9-0

One Bench: 4-3

Two Bench: 4-1

Three Bench: 1-4

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
And 2 of those losses were in games where we rested a lot of our regulars.  Note how the well rested regulars performed in the games where they were played.

See above. We all know you've got to rest guys. But when it's 3 starters at a time, Ozzie is severely hampering our ability to win that day.

QUOTE(Damen @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
See above.  We all know you've got to rest guys.  But when it's 3 starters at a time, Ozzie is severely hampering our ability to win that day.

And again, it's 1 day. If we're undefeated with all 9 starters, a .500 team with 1 guy sitting, and a .200 team with 3 guys sitting, then over the whole season, we'd be better off playing all of our starters 2 games and resting 3 guys the third than we would be by resting 1 guy each game.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
And again, it's 1 day.  If we're undefeated with all 9 starters, a .500 team with 1 guy sitting, and a .200 team with 3 guys sitting, then over the whole season, we'd be better off playing all of our starters 2 games and resting 3 guys the third than we would be by resting 1 guy each game.

Or, we could rest a maximum of two guys per day.

QUOTE(Damen @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
See above.  We all know you've got to rest guys.  But when it's 3 starters at a time, Ozzie is severely hampering our ability to win that day.

Does it? Or does it give the starters the rest that they need to be 9-0 when they all start together?

Stats like that are worthless, because it insuates that if you started the same 9 guys everyday that the Sox would be 26-0, and that's not true. Lots of the line up changes were due to injuries (Dye, Uribe, and Pods have missed games already), others were due to match up's such as not starting, while some were due to Ozzie wanting to give starters days off, and getting our subs into games so that they stay fresh in case they are needed in an important situation.

I'd imagine we'd have a terrible BA/RISP stat today. We were lucky to even score that 1 run, thanks to C.C not getting off the mound quick enough.

Shows how important Thome is to this lineup though. We still hit but getting 1 run just ain't gettin it done.

Hopefully Buerhle gets back on track next start.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Does it?  Or does it give the starters the rest that they need to be 9-0 when they all start together? 

Stats like that are worthless, because it insuates that if you started the same 9 guys everyday that the Sox would be 26-0, and that's not true.  Lots of the line up changes were due to injuries (Dye, Uribe, and Pods have missed games already), others were due to match up's such as not starting, while some were due to Ozzie wanting to give starters days off, and getting our subs into games so that they stay fresh in case they are needed in an important situation.

I don't think anyone is projecting the 9-0 stat like that. And again, I'm not opposed to resting guys. Obviously, that is going to happen over the course of the season. I just don't understand why you sub 1/3 of your lineup at a time. It doesn't work.

Another fine day at the office for Anderson, it seems. Don't worry, though, he'll turn it around. Not every team has the luxury of promoting outfielders who hit .200. It takes time!

I believe the team gives him a month to turn it around. Stellar defense aside, you can't have someone in your lineup--your alleged "top prospect--batting .140. What I wouldn't do for Anderson to have 60% of the plate presence Matt Murton has.

For anyone about to mention Uribe, I'm atleast confident he can bring his average above .200. He also happens to play great defense at perhaps the most important position on the field. For what Anderson has provided our club with thus far, not removing him from the lineup one month from now would have to be justified under two scenarios: his average increases, or a ball NEVER touches the ground in CF.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Damen @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)

The bottom line is that the Sox are 18-8 and in first place, despite a wretched bullpen.

Complain all you want about these so-called "Sunday Lineups" but, when all is said and done, Ozzie's strategy seems to be working pretty freaking well.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
The bottom line is that the Sox are 18-8 and in first place, despite a wretched bullpen.

Complain all you want about these so-called "Sunday Lineups" but, when all is said and done, Ozzie's strategy seems to be working pretty freaking well.

I know you are right but I really hate it when we lose. I need to go sign up for an anger management class.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)

Wretched? Our bullpen is currently 6th in the AL in ERA. It hasn't performed as well as it could/should, but it's far from wretched. We're .08 runs behind Jonathon "More Desirable than Albert Pujols" and the rest of the Red Sox bullpen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Wretched?  Our bullpen is currently 6th in the AL in ERA.  It hasn't performed as well as it could/should, but it's far from wretched.  We're .08 runs behind Jonathon "More Desirable than Albert Pujols" and the rest of the Red Sox bullpen.

Is this including the granny that BMAC tossed up yesterday? If so then that is even more impressive than I thought.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Is this including the granny that BMAC tossed up yesterday? If so then that is even more impressive than I thought.

As far as I know ESPN updates those stats nightly, so that outing should be in there. It does show up in Brandon's stats, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's in there. We only have 2 relievers with ERA's over 4: BMac and Clifford.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
I know you are right but I really hate it when we lose.  I need to go sign up for an anger management class.

I tend to get really pissed off when we lose as well. It ruins the day completly or if it is at night, I will cancel going out. The good thing about today is a Bulls game to look forward to for a win!!