Sox sign RP Jeff Nelson

Dick Allen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
If Logan keeps pitching like he yesterday I highly doubt he's the casuality here...

Even more so today. 2.1 innings thus far, 1 walk, 0 hits, 5 strikeouts against the Tribe.

I'm wondering if Nelson may find himself in Thornton's spot, with Thornton going on the DL with his back problems soon. He's pitched like 1 time in 2 weeks.

Guest JimH

The guy who is really stoked about this signing is ... can't recall his handle ... used to be jabroni ... He was calling for this as soon as the Cardinals released Nelson.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Interesting.  That doesn't excite me at all but I assume he's going to replace Boone.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Maybe Nelson takes the spot of Gload?

I love the way Boone is finding the strike zone now.....thats all he needs to do, and that nasty slider will take care of the rest.....

I am all for sending down Gload.......never a fan

I'd still prefer Gload be replaced with an OF (trade for someone like Corey Hart), and then you could have Thornton go on the DL perhaps when Nelson is ready to contribute.

Hopefully Nelson can still get out righties, but he won't be able to pitch for more than an inning.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
With those kind of numbers, why didn't anyone sign him sooner?  Is he hurt?

That's a good question. He does have a reputation for being an ass, and is basically a ROOGY at this point. I wonder if BMac's recent struggles and/or Thornton's questionable back pushed KW into the signing. It was nice to see Politte hit 96 yesterday. Nelson does have a better chance to contribute than the minor league trash that was signed in the winter.

White Sox sign veteran Jeff Nelson

Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - The Chicago White Sox have signed pitcher Jeff Nelson to a minor league contract.

Nelson has appeared in 792 games in 14 big league seasons with the Seattle Mariners, New York Yankees and Texas Rangers. He owns a lifetime record of 48-44 with a 3.41 earned run average.

The 39-year-old righthander was a member of four World Series championship teams with the Yankees. He spent last season with Seattle and posted a mark of 1-3 with a 3.93 ERA and one save in 49 appearances.

Chicago has assigned Nelson to extended spring training in Tucson, Arizona.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Let's play a drinking game:

Every time Ed Farmer says "you know when Joe Crede goes to right field, he's locked in", you take a shot.

Or every time he calls for a homerun, you take half a shot of beer. That way, you can have 9 full beers down by the end of the 1st inning.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 2, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
now can we find somebody to play center field?

Singleton?

Lance Johnson?

somebody who can hit more than .143

WTF?!?! This guy is playing a great defensive CF. With the offense we have we can afford to have him struggle and hopefully figure things out up here. Calm down and let the kid play. He is the # 9 hitter. It is not like Rowand was great offensively for us last year. There are a lot of facets to the game of baseball. Don't judge a player and what he means to a team on his offensive output alone. Lance Johnson and Chris Singleton could not come close to playing CF the way Brian Anderson does. Give me a f***ing break!!!

I likey this signing.

I see no reason why Logan would sent down. 2 1/3 innings and 5 K's today against a solid Indians lineup.

If anything Thornton is still hurt or....(runs and hides) McCarthy is being sent down.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 2, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Lance Johnson and Chris Singleton could not come close to playing CF the way Brian Anderson does. Give me a f***ing break!!!

While your point stands that it's not yet time to stress over Anderson's offense, I don't know if One Dog 'could not come close' to BA's defense. Lance could throw some serious leather. Not that that's very important.

With Logan showing today he could be more than just LOOGY material by throwing a couple innings (although not exactly a high-stress situation), it makes for a tough call once Nelson is ready. I do know that there's no way this team should carry 7 relievers with the rotation we've got. No way.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I likey this signing.

I see no reason why Logan would sent down.  2 1/3 innings and 5 K's today against a solid Indians lineup. 

If anything Thornton is still hurt or....(runs and hides)  McCarthy is being sent down.

You're right to run and hide because sending BMAC down would be f***ing stupid.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
You're right to run and hide because sending BMAC down would be f***ing stupid.

It worked last year when he struggled at the start. And I'm sure he has ML options left, so if he really can't get things together and keeps getting shelled, maybe some time in AAA to get more adapted to the bullpen would be useful. Hopefully he's just having a bad week and he'll shut me up soon.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 2, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
AddisonStSox will be quite excited to hear this.

Yes, excited is probably the right word. This was a nice little suprise to walk in to.

Both Jabroni and I have been calling for Nelson since the 2005 off-season. I'm sure he'll be pleased as well. Make no mistake about it, this guy is still murder on right-handers.

I absolutely expect Nelson to be with the big league club by the end of the month. It's been a fun little adventure with our a-baller, but, it is about time the Sox bring up a real major league talent.

JimH, the Sox bring him in. This is pretty assuring. Even if Logan proves he belongs with the big club, Nelson is backup plan A-1. His signing with the Cardinals--albeit cut short by that suprise cut--proved he wanted to pitch for a competitor. I'm pretty happy.

Guest JimH

My guess is it'll take at least 2 weeks for Nelson to get back in shape. At that point the White Sox (and maybe even Nelson) have a decision to make.

I doubt this guy wants to be pitching in Charlotte or wherever for long.

Probably by the time he's ready, the Sox are entering the interleague portion of their schedule so that might impact their decision.